Reply to Thread

Thread: Game crashes my computer

Skilled Student
    World
    Northisle

Game crashes my computer

Over the past few days, I'm finding that my computer either freezes or crashes to a blue screen while I'm playing the game.

I can log on to the game with no problem, and can do everything. But then while I'm scrolling over the map, either the whole computer freezes up and I have to manually turn it off, or it crashes completely.

I've tried using both Chrome and Internet Explorer, but it does the same on both. It doesn't happen when I'm playing any other game.

Advice would be appreciated, because I won't be playing this game for much longer if this continues - which would be a great shame because I'm enjoying it.

World
    Sandycove
    This sounds very Flash related - the game pretty much relies on Flash handling all graphics for it, and Flash should (in theory) account for any computer differences. Chrome is (supposed) to be designed to always keep the current flash version.
    My wife had trouble for a while with her generals vanishing when they moved - they got to where they were supposed to be going, but they were invisible during movement. The only way to fix it was for me to first uninstall Flash, the uninstall Chrome then reinstall Chrome (which brought in the latest Flash version). So that woul be my first suggestion.
    Also, checking for current graphics drivers never hurts...

Good luck!
    Sorry, but I've slept since then...

Skilled Student
    World
    Northisle
    Thanks for the advice. I've (well, my brother has) updated the drivers. He has also turned down the memory speed, because the problem seemed to start at the same time as he had turned it up to max. We'll see how it goes - it's OK so far today.

Original Serf
    World
    Northisle
    Check you HDD or RAM, because Blue Screen is almost always related to problem with memory. For testing the RAM u can use memtest86 program (free and simple).

Wordsmith
    World
    Newfoundland
    I would blame your brother. If he has pushed your PC to the limit by increasing RAM speeds I bet he is also overclocking your cpu. This game uses Flash which does tend to hog your processor and other system resources so it is likely the game is making your PC run at 100% capacity for long periods. This isn't normally a problem apart from when an inexperienced 'tweaker' tries to push the capabilities of your PC further than the manufacturer intended. SO as well as the speed issue you may find cpu and other parts of the PC are running hotter than intended and the blue screen is windows way of shutting off if there was likely to be a critical error.

If you PC wasn't feeling slow before hand, I recommend you ask him to undo any other changes he may have done.

Jolly Advisor
    World
    Northisle
    I would also use a proper browser like Firefox.
    IE is unstable and insecure.
    Chrome uses it's own version of Flash called "Pepper Flash", and it's not always compatible, besides which Chrome phones home more times than E.T.

Reply to Thread