Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Why did BB lower the explorer eggs find rates??

Architect of the Empire Sinister-King's Avatar
    World
    Newfoundland
    Okay, thanks bud .

EWiggin
    I got all the easter achievements - including PVP... It was touch and go in the last day for the Explorers!

This is not to debate the merits of buying gems (But I agree with Fishslice that this funds game development). It's been a time since I did so - but it has made the game more pleasurable for me (and let's not forget, it's a game!).

I also agree with fishslice and Brayarg that achievements should not be achievable by all... I played for some years now and if I have an advantage, I feel I've earned it. Why should some newer friend be able to come and get all achievements - what would that say for my achievements (learning PVP etc).

As a guild, we worked to ensure that as far as possible, all ended with a fast general. Do I care if their egg houses are a lower level than mine? Not at all... I spent days on single player adventure after single player adventure to make sure all had a good item from the event.
    If we were atheletes or musicians (most of us probably aren't , we would be unsurprised if those who put in the years of training achieved a better outcome... To those who are unhappy - don't worry - your time is coming

Well done BlueByte - another good event

Town Councillor
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by EWiggin View Post
    Do I care if their egg houses are a lower level than mine? Not at all...
    Wow, that's generous of you
    Reminds me of this news anchor who, when asked about the results of the Oxfam study, said "That's great, because it gives an incentive to everyone to do better"

If we were atheletes or musicians (most of us probably aren't , we would be unsurprised if those who put in the years of training achieved a better outcome... To those who are unhappy - don't worry - your time is coming
    Well, obviously a fun pastime is now comparable to the efforts of becoming an athlete.
    I got a lv6 Residence but seriously, I felt Easter was stressful. Very stressful. So stressful that I'm not even playing half as much as before.
    When an event becomes so taxing that you need to recover from gaming, there's obviously something wrong.

I do agree that achievement points (which I don't give a hoot on) should discriminate players - but not that some should be locked out of certain rewards simply because they happen to have a fulltime job without Easter break.

EWiggin
    Should I care about their egg houses if I can spend a day doing Outlaws, Traitors, IOTP & WOTS to help with generals? Why? I can't affect whether they can get the achievements - What can be helped with - is! And I suspect this applies to most guilds....

You miss the point that time served should accrue some advantages. Or why have the event at all - why not just give all the presents (they would not be rewards) on easter sunday... Is that what you want?

I'm sorry that having to work different shift patterns discriminates against some players.... What do you want me to do about that?

World
    Sandycove
    Sharpielein wrote:
    I got a lv6 Residence but seriously, I felt Easter was stressful. Very stressful. So stressful that I'm not even playing half as much as before.
    When an event becomes so taxing that you need to recover from gaming, there's obviously something wrong.
    The only stress in this game is in the things that do not work when they are suppose to . The actual event had no stress put in it at all, challenge, opportunity, a draw to buying gems maybe, but stress? come on I play the game to unwind which by definition means my`real life ' is far more stressful than this game, and its full time without a log out button
    I do feel that some players were put at a disadvantage because of poor implementation of the event, but that shouldn't be confused or blamed on the design of the overall event. I said before that I thought it to be one of the best balanced events I've been involved with here on TSO and believe credit is due to the dev team for this. ( Far less credit needs to be given to those coders or penny pinchers who were clearly not doing their part )

Larili Wrote:
    So all in all thank you BB for giving me two and a half weeks of excuse not to do the ironing.....hmm, ironing or forth Vet?......
    I too had to work both bank holidays over Easter, and still had to do `some ' ironing......but got the fourth Vet with trading....So maybe the secret is set your sights lower and pace yourself for the whole event not just the first week, and you will always come out smiling and more freebies than you thought ( In my case, a Vet and two extra watermills and 25k granite more ) No stress....well a little...but that was the nagging pile of ironing not TSO
    Are we to be told of adventure changes or not? 1 Month on and still SNEAKY RB changes have not been mentioned

Treasure Hunter
    World
    Newfoundland
    the "i've wasted more of my life playing settlers then you so deserve to have the achievements" is a really funny argument...lol
    almost but not quiet as funny as the "i have paid money so i deserve the archievement" one....lol..
    most of the smart people have spent enough money in a gem sale to buy 1 gem pit..which if used smartly has given them vast amounts of gems...are you really goner argue that this "investment" entitles them to all the benefits of being a gem player but also the bonus that they should as get achievements that all cant get?...
    let just hope you dont use these arguments in r/l cause i pity the society you live in if you do.....

Guide of the Month Ruler of the Land Nogbad's Avatar
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by EWiggin View Post
    Should I care about their egg houses if I can spend a day doing Outlaws, Traitors, IOTP & WOTS to help with generals? Why? I can't affect whether they can get the achievements - What can be helped with - is! And I suspect this applies to most guilds....

You miss the point that time served should accrue some advantages. Or why have the event at all - why not just give all the presents (they would not be rewards) on easter sunday... Is that what you want?

I'm sorry that having to work different shift patterns discriminates against some players.... What do you want me to do about that?
    So kindly explain how players who did put the time in also struggled.
    because of the daft "random" drops yet again, it was easily possible to do 50 odd adventures and only have 3 of them drop any eggs as loot (and one of those was Garrun). 160 eggs loot for all those hours is soul-destroying, and the explorers fared no better despite all the time and effort to upgrade them through the skill system. 30% hit rate - not good, especially when the limit seemed set to 16 eggs.
    We love our new CM.

Newfoundland: 20th November 2011 to 25th November 2014. RIP
    It was good while it lasted.

World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by ATHTHEMANIAC View Post
    the "i've wasted more of my life playing settlers then you so deserve to have the achievements" is a really funny argument...lol
    almost but not quiet as funny as the "i have paid money so i deserve the archievement" one....lol..
    most of the smart people have spent enough money in a gem sale to buy 1 gem pit..which if used smartly has given them vast amounts of gems...are you really goner argue that this "investment" entitles them to all the benefits of being a gem player but also the bonus that they should as get achievements that all cant get?...
    let just hope you dont use these arguments in r/l cause i pity the society you live in if you do.....
    I think you totally missing the points.

If every achievement is attainable by all, regardless if they do 1 adventure a week or 100, no matter if they have 3 free explorers or 20 paid for ones, if they have played 1 week or 3 years. Then what exactly is going to challenge a long term lvl 50 player? If a lvl 20 can complete them all within the 3 week time span, does that then mean for a level 50 long term player that has invested money all achievements are wrapped up with in 4 days? Why should we not be challenged? What makes it so that a level 20s/30s playing experience is more important than mine? or yours? There has to be a balance.
    Last edited by Brayarg; 13.04.15 at 10:48.

Town Councillor
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by Brayarg View Post
    I think you totally missing the points.

If every achievement is attainable by all, regardless if they do 1 adventure a week or 100, no matter if they have 3 free explorers or 20 paid for ones, if they have played 1 week or 3 years. Then what exactly is going to challenge a long term lvl 50 player? If a lvl 20 can complete them all within the 3 week time span, does that then mean for a level 50 long term player that has invested money all achievements are wrapped up with in 4 days? Why should we not be challenged? What makes it so that a level 20s/30s playing experience is more important than mine? or yours? There has to be a balance.
    The problem is: Who is missing the point?

Let's use an example.

In event 1, Longterm player got all rewards. 2 Explorers, Veteran, MMA.
    In event 1, New player did not participate.
    LT advantage: 2 Explorers, Vet, MMA.

In event 2, So, BB makes the event challenging enough for longterm players.
    Longterm player got all rewards. Veteran, MMA, MoD, Easter Residence Lv6, 2 Floaties.
    In event 2, New player got seriously challenged. Received Veteran, Easter Residence Lv4.
    LT advantage: 2 Explorers, Vet, 2x MMA, MoD, 200 population.

In event 3, Longterm player wants a challenge having an advantage of 2 Explorers, Vet, 2x MMA, MoD, 400 population over Newer player.
    So, BB makes the event challenging enough for longterm players.
    Regardless, they receive another Veteran, MMA, MoD, Easter Residence Lv6, 2 Floaties.
    In event 3, New player got seriously challenged. Received Veteran, Easter Residence Lv4.
    LT advantage: 2 Explorers, Vet, 3x MMA, 2x MoD, 600 population.

After 5 years, LT player will have an advantage of some 10 Generals and 2000 population over a player who started merely 1 year later than they did.
    Now, LT player is still complaining that events are too easy while new players are brickwalled.

What do you think players who have started just 10 months ago feel - in comparison, when LT players mow through everything at ease?
    Yes, your argument is "I don't care. It's good when the Rich get Richer and the rest get left behind in the dust. It's good to have someone to look up to (whose level you cannot ever achieve because of purchase limits)."

I am curious about a solution from your side:
    How do you want to keep a challenge for longterm players without creating a continuously increasing power gap?
    In my opinion, the only solution of doing that is by putting in achievements that are not related to power-increasing rewards.
    For instance, the World Cup Trophy was a good example for a solution: Does not break the power balance, but permits you to show off.

World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpielein View Post
    The problem is: Who is missing the point?

Let's use an example.

In event 1, Longterm player got all rewards. 2 Explorers, Veteran, MMA.
    In event 1, New player did not participate.
    LT advantage: 2 Explorers, Vet, MMA.

In event 2, So, BB makes the event challenging enough for longterm players.
    Longterm player got all rewards. Veteran, MMA, MoD, Easter Residence Lv6, 2 Floaties.
    In event 2, New player got seriously challenged. Received Veteran, Easter Residence Lv4.
    LT advantage: 2 Explorers, Vet, 2x MMA, MoD, 200 population.

In event 3, Longterm player wants a challenge having an advantage of 2 Explorers, Vet, 2x MMA, MoD, 400 population over Newer player.
    So, BB makes the event challenging enough for longterm players.
    Regardless, they receive another Veteran, MMA, MoD, Easter Residence Lv6, 2 Floaties.
    In event 3, New player got seriously challenged. Received Veteran, Easter Residence Lv4.
    LT advantage: 2 Explorers, Vet, 3x MMA, 2x MoD, 600 population.

After 5 years, LT player will have an advantage of some 10 Generals and 2000 population over a player who started merely 1 year later than they did.
    Now, LT player is still complaining that events are too easy while new players are brickwalled.

What do you think players who have started just 10 months ago feel - in comparison, when LT players mow through everything at ease?
    Yes, your argument is "I don't care. It's good when the Rich get Richer and the rest get left behind in the dust. It's good to have someone to look up to (whose level you cannot ever achieve because of purchase limits)."

I am curious about a solution from your side:
    How do you want to keep a challenge for longterm players without creating a continuously increasing power gap?
    In my opinion, the only solution of doing that is by putting in achievements that are not related to power-increasing rewards.
    For instance, the World Cup Trophy was a good example for a solution: Does not break the power balance, but permits you to show off.
    I seriously wonder how long that " new player " in your example stay's a new player ?
    And if he / she is still struggeling after 3 years to complete an entire event, maybe that player should play a game like tetris
    After 1 year, more or less , you can achieve an island capable of producing enough resources, an army capable of doing enough adventures
    a friend-list capable of helping you to complete an event with ease.
    You can do this as F2P-player , so the excuse of " i don't buy gems " doesn't work either.

I do feel sorry for players that just started before an event, but then again i think they should set their priorities better.
    You don't need to get everything in your first event, pick the items that help you better your economy or army.
    Do what you are capable of and don't look at what some level 50's have.

Reply to Thread