Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Reached a point where I don't know if I can keep playing TSO :(

Pathfinder
    World
    Newfoundland

Reached a point where I don't know if I can keep playing TSO :(

I have been playing TSO for around 3-4 weeks now and I'm really loving a lot about the game: the great community, the dynamic economy and a bunch of other things. But, I've reached a point where I have realized that I HAVE to pay real money to progress in the game, the dreaded BHG/vet general paywall.
    The thing is that I have enjoyed every minute of the game and I really want to keep playing it, but Im not planning to spend any money on it and it really bums me out that I have to "pay up" to get an essential part of the game to progress in the game.

About the events, they simply have ridiculous prices. So they just look like a pipe dream to me or an outstanding effort to get just a game resource that is practically obligatory to advance in the game.

Im really hoping someone can tell me a reason to keep playing the game as a free player, because I dont see one

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Northisle
    Hya, there are many players, on all of the worlds, who are level 50 or close to it who haven't spent a penny on the game. Save the gems from achievements, do lots of lost skull, tropical sun, horseback, do dark priests and give the lootspot to a friend for killing the hard bits, etc etc. The game is meant to be slow so don't feel compelled to either spend rl money or to quit.

Original Serf
    World
    Sandycove
    hello skyclap, I dont spend real money either and I dont have a fast gen too. if you keep making gc on TO, you will probably enjoy TSO more.
    I've been doing hundreds or thousands trades and so close to my fist fast gen: a major general. so everything is still possible without spending real cash

World
    Newfoundland
    Do not look at this current event as an event, it is not! It is aimed at high lvl players getting rid of old resources ready for the new and improved proper events. The next real event will be halloween, where you can get a grim gen (which is a fancy looking bhg) and do so by collecting resources from explorers, adventures, collectables etc. This is free to do, lots of fun and even a low level player is able to get something from the event. By halloween you will certainly be in a position to get yourself a free general. You can also get a free veteran gen in the easter event. I am a player who does not spend cash on this game, and i got all my generals from events, or saving free gems. My first grim and vet were free from events. So hold on, you will get there, this is a game of years, not weeks

Nifty
    World
    Northisle
    I got to level 50 in about 6 months or so and only THEN did I think to myself ` I need to buy a gem pit ! ` ; at which point I paid rl cash when we had a triple gem offer - best thing I ever did in TSO. I wish I had bought in a lot earlier though... So basically gems or no gems the game is still playable and fun and as mentioned above if no gem player it helps to use the market a lot !

Wordsmith
    World
    Newfoundland
    Also, I highly recommend joining a good guild. They will help you re the various approaches to take to securing advancement (and generals in the game) as they have been there before. Also, whilst not a reason to join a guild, many of the better guilds go out of their way to help lower level players to get the nice goodies during the proper events. In my mind those people that benefit from being in a guild are the ones that become active members and show support (even if its just a little chat and swapping of buffs).
    Whatever you decide, yes this is a slow game, but it can also be richly fulfilling. Many call it an interactive screensaver as you do a few battles, wait ages for recovery, maybe dip a toe into trade (there is good profit for in-game items to be to be made) and then spend most of you time chatting in G1 or Guild Chat.

World
    Newfoundland
    Yup, another non-gem buying playere here. It took me 3 years to get to lvl 50 but that was becoz I too my time . Focus your attention to building a strong map and play all the real events once or twice and you'll have a nice set of generals. Save up your gems from log on rewards, leveling, and achievements to buy the veteran gen or the MMA> Really it can be done but it does require some patience. Enjoy the community, find yourself a helpfull guild and hang in there

Pathfinder
    World
    Newfoundland
    Allright, thanks for all those replies. Yeah, I think I maybe got a little ahead of myself wanting to get a special gen this early?
    Its just that when I get to the level that I could do adv like RB and the like, Ill be unable to efficiently do them like a lot of my guild mates... and all I hear is RB ls swap this and BK ls swap that, but I guess its going to take a very long time before I can participate in those, where really the best profit in the game is. But I guess thats just way in the future.

Anyways, again, thanks for the replies

Erudite Pioneer
    World
    Newfoundland
    As others have said a good guild can help, they tend to swap loot spots between each other, it takes time to get stuff in game but the really good thing is the events make it so that you can get items you would take ages to save gems for.

Glorious Graduate
    World
    Newfoundland
    The only gems I've bought were the special starter pack during one of those +100% sales. €10 for 8k gems; I'd recommend this if you can swing it (get a MMA). I attained level 50 in just about a year, have more than enough generals, and make enough gems to satisfy any purchase desires without paying a cent of real money more.

Reply to Thread