Reply to Thread

Thread: Independent client now is a Must for long term life!

Ruler of the Land TheVictorious's Avatar
    World
    Sandycove

Exclamation Independent client now is a Must for long term life!

Hi,

I really confused for first time to put this on technical issue or game suggestion because it the suggestion for common technical issue, and incoming "disaster" (actually its not disaster but I mean for this game it will be a disaster) .

The browsers seems will drop support for flash, and maybe will even block them soon, its short time left for flash to stay alive in browsers like Chrome and Firefox, in my View I think its just a short time before the browsers make a big step to kill flash, because the security and performance issues.

I think BB now about that, if not I hope they give this attention, the only solution now as I see is "Independent Client" for settlers game, "OR" merge the web version run-able on Steam (maybe).

Or the most hard solution, is convert the flash files into HTML5

The flash as a unsupported plugin will cause more issues, like now sometimes in firefox the chat of game reset over and over when you alt+tab or ctrl+tab, later I think its possible that browsers may kill or suspend flash if you do.

Last, maybe you will say use internet explorer , but this option is not available for Linux users, or you may say use another browser like maxthon, but actually I think its easier to ask users to install your client instead of another unwanted or unknown browser that user already have enough.

The summary I just wanted to suggest Independent client because the many issues of flash with browsers and since flash player is in risk to be blocked from browsers or at least the browsers stop support for them (chrome officially stopped that actually anf firefox on the way).

World
    Northisle
    Chrome hasn't stopped supporting Flash. It still comes with the Pepper Flash plugin. What was removed from Chrome in September was the support for NPAPI that the Flash plugin downloaded from Adobe used and is used by Firefox. The need to install 3rd party plugin from Adobe is going away as the browsers are including the Flash player (Chrome, Edge, IE)

Also The Steam "version" is the same Flash game and Steam acts as a browser and uses the Chrome PPAPI Flash plugin (at least in Linux it requires 32-bit Chrome to be installed)

On July most of the browsers blocked Flash because it had a 0-day vulnerability but was re-enabled when it was fixed.

"Independent Client" would mean at least triple the work compared to Flash to make the game available to all the current players (Linux, Mac and Windows). HTML5 would be the only viable choice if Flash couldn't be used any more.

Ruler of the Land TheVictorious's Avatar
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by Durin_d View Post
    Chrome hasn't stopped supporting Flash. It still comes with the Pepper Flash plugin. What was removed from Chrome in September was the support for NPAPI that the Flash plugin downloaded from Adobe used and is used by Firefox. The need to install 3rd party plugin from Adobe is going away as the browsers are including the Flash player (Chrome, Edge, IE)

Also The Steam "version" is the same Flash game and Steam acts as a browser and uses the Chrome PPAPI Flash plugin (at least in Linux it requires 32-bit Chrome to be installed)

On July most of the browsers blocked Flash because it had a 0-day vulnerability but was re-enabled when it was fixed.

"Independent Client" would mean at least triple the work compared to Flash to make the game available to all the current players (Linux, Mac and Windows). HTML5 would be the only viable choice if Flash couldn't be used any more.
    I'm a front-end programmer and I know that flash not good for long term run, and no, HTML5 even more and wider than flash but a bit tricky and complex.
    And another client use flash player better than talking with browser, because you don't own browser but you own client.

World
    Newfoundland
    Independent client --> people could no longer play at work. hm... that'd mean less lag. :P

Reply to Thread