Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New members and guilds

Second star to the right and straight on 'till morning.
    World
    Northisle
    I just want to say that this isn't only a problem with bigger guilds, but it feels like noone seems to bother when someone from a smaller guild asks for help on help chat. When a player from my guild for example (yes we are close to 100) asks something in there he immediately gets told to ask in his guild. And while I have to admit that we had a past with random invites and lots of inactive players (that's why I left for a while) this is not the case anymore. Still players from my guild get bashed immediately as soon as they post something on help channel.

Sometimes we just can't answer a question, especially when it's late at night and only few people are online, or people think they'll get a quicker response when they put it to help channel. And it's really not nice having to deal with people then who just tell you to go pick "a more helpful" guild instead of actually helping.

Glorious Graduate
    World
    Sandycove
    We SO need a 'guide to guilds' and I've been meaning to write one for ages.

Most newbies have no idea what to look for in a guild and of course, they can leave and start again in another, but it would be better if they get one they like and can be comfortable with from the beginning. A tall order I know.....
    So...we have this thread...lets share our views on what 'makes' a guild - state your opinions in the positive (don't bash what is, suggest what can be better/good).

World
    Sandycove

Some things I would suggest checking about a guild before joining

1. Any joining or ongoing fees?
    2. The time zone of the guild leadership at least, if not most of the other players (it's nice to be in the same time zone)
    3. Whether or not they want to help lower level players build or they want everyone to try to take care of themselves
    4. The expectation of how often each member should be logging in
    5. The termination policy if any

Just some quick thoughts
    Sorry, but I've slept since then...

Architect of the Empire
    World
    Sandycove
    To me a good guild would

1. Never ever send random invites.
    2. Offer help,support and guidance getting an Island started but not too much charity (this often causes players to quit once it stops).
    3. Have plenty of guides available, from production layouts,conquering Island, basic adventuring with tavern generals to advanced guides for fairytale and ali Baba adventures.
    4.Never ask a fee to join.
    5.clearly stated rules on etiquette and behaviour in Global channels and guild chat. Also state expectations about activity,chat and GQ.

Quartermaster
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by corona88 View Post
    problem is not only in guilds, also problem is in new players.
    they want immediately everything. they don't have patience. a lot time i see they ask for help on guild chat, if no one respond in 20 second they immediately ask on trade or help. they won't wait few min.

less problem with guild will be if you can invite in guild only friends. same as for adventure invite.

Also BB don't allow resources help for new player
    Yep +1

Ruler of the Land TheVictorious's Avatar
    World
    Sandycove
    they want immediately everything. they don't have patience. a lot time i see they ask for help on guild chat, if no one respond in 20 second they immediately ask on trade or help. they won't wait few min.

less problem with guild will be if you can invite in guild only friends. same as for adventure invite.

+1 totally agree

World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by Xibor View Post
    1. Any joining or ongoing fees?
    2. The time zone of the guild leadership at least, if not most of the other players (it's nice to be in the same time zone)
    3. Whether or not they want to help lower level players build or they want everyone to try to take care of themselves
    4. The expectation of how often each member should be logging in
    5. The termination policy if any

Just some quick thoughts
    If a guild to me asks you joining fees that bang out of order anyways,and termination policy WHY if they dont fit the guild they need not be "punished" always at least ask the person via whisper or mail if they are interested in joining not send random invites

Quote Originally Posted by jollyfog2012 View Post
    so many new players who need real help.

And then within 10 minutes of them asking for help, they are snatched up by the big 100 guilds. A day later they are in trades asking for help with a quest or similar..

Way to go you BIG GUILDS - take responsiblity for your crew. I hope you know you lack more credibility each time a guildie asks for help in trade etc.

SORT yourselves out!
    Can see your point hun but maybe bit harsh way said it but agree guilds should be responsible to help their members

One thing they will learn in the game is patience if they cant they wont last long in game

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesavanah View Post
    To me a good guild would

2. Offer help,support and guidance getting an Island started but not too much charity (this often causes players to quit once it stops).
    3. Have plenty of guides available, from production layouts,conquering Island, basic adventuring with tavern generals to advanced guides for fairytale and ali Baba adventures.
    5.clearly stated rules on etiquette and behaviour in Global channels and guild chat. Also state expectations about activity,chat and GQ.
    Offer help,support and guidance getting an Island started but not too much charity (this often causes players to quit once it stops).
    that to me is the whole point of being in a guild also to make friends, have a laugh etc in guild chat but guild members to help advise each other with game play etc main thing
    Also if they find they are in a guild that's wrong for them they can look for new ones or stay out of guilds i suppose so best if choose one you think will like from start.

World
    Northisle
    I think it's unfair to blame new players for wanting to belong. That's human nature and it's no wonder that some newbies will accept any invite they are sent. Guilds should absolutely bear the responsibility of helping newer members- those who do not let the players, their guild and the game down. I personally would be in favour of invites and requests only through the forum, not through the game itself. At least in this way new players are likely to have done some reading on what they can expect and offer a guild. I guess it won't happen but I still like the idea.

That aside, I think the above ideas of an ideal guild are totally spot on- any guild who charges their members in any way are not worth being a part of. A good guild should support their members. And I find the random spamming of invites from the vulture guilds- you know who you are- utterly reprehensible. It is due in part, to these guilds that many players simply leave the game. And it's kind of funny how I see players- often from these same vulture guilds- saying how the game is dying, no new players, etc.

If you want the game to continue, to thrive, LOOK AFTER THE NEWBIES! It is they who will keep the game going with their enthusiasm, dedication, and yes- their cash.

World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluesavanah View Post
    To me a good guild would

+1 Blue

and also +1 to stating 99% new players have no patience at all. We are a helpful guild in the first place, we do help with building materials/buffs/building placement and adventure/island cleanup hints but the conclusion leads us 90% of the helped folks will just disappear after some time - not giving a bit of their little finger to try and sort things out for themselves. It could just may be a matter of nowadays trends, everyone wanting all and want it right now, few minutes later and they quit or in worst cases even give you a big nice juicy insult upon leave (despite all the help you've given over the days/weeks, sometimes even months!). Restraining them to go and ask in help or global is something that just cannot be done, I myself personally had been running after guys that went to global asking such simple questions that could be answered within the guild's borders instantly and upon my questioning why they haven't asked in guild and get the best detailed help they couldn't give an answer. Might also add we use to spam "ask for help when needed" message like mad, and despite best intentions it's not helping either
    So, i defo ask if its possible BB inserts some very brief (must be very very brief as folks nowadays dont want to read either!) guide to joining a guild that could pop out at about lvl 10 or something so new folks have the time to prepare and see what they want and what would fit them best.
    Last edited by Urgh123; 02.12.15 at 23:45.

Erudite Pioneer
    World
    Sandycove
    Here are the rules from our guild 'The Great A'Tuin'. Pick what you want from it:
    Hello and welcome to the guild! Since we are bound to a big turtle in space we need to have a set of rules.
    1. Adult content is permitted. This is an 18 years and over guild. However, using those words excessively just shows bad taste.
    2. We only use English to communicate in the guild
    3. We do not like to either politics or religion to be debated in guild chat, both subjects are personal views and can cause arguments. We do not want this.
    4. Racism, Sexism, Homophobic comments or discrimination of any kind will not be tolerated. First offence will receive a warning and possible demotion, repeat offence or extreme cases will receive an immediate removal from the guild.
    5. Guild quests should be done within 3 DAYS. If you need help completing a guild quest ask an officer, we are more than willing to assist. THIS IS A PRIORITY AND NON NEGOTIABLE!!
    6. To remain active in the guild is a priority and to achieve this status you need to login every day. If we notice (and we constantly look) that you are not an active player you may be removed from the guild to make way for players that are active and have a positive outcome on the guild.
    7. Be respectful of others. Not everyone shares your views, nor should they have to. If you think what you’re about to say could cause some drama, don’t say it.
    8. It is your responsibility to make others understand what you are trying to say. It is not the responsibility of others to understand you. E.g. "That is not what I meant" is not an excuse.
    9. We are willing to help those who help themselves. No begging for resources.
    10. At all times while you are a member of the Great A’Tuin. Please keep in mind you are an ambassador of the guild, have loyalty and respect in other chat channels.
    11. Don’t be shy, the turtle does not bite.

Reply to Thread