Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: imp farm fixed..lol

Treasure Hunter
    World
    Newfoundland
    the test server is littered with reports of bugs which are still there when things go live..just how much time do bb need to fix "the fixable one"...lol
    also surely all bugs can be fixed?...what is a non fixable bug..?...and if some are harder does that mena they just give up and leave it as a feature ?..

Architect of the Empire
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by ATHTHEMANIAC View Post
    also surely all bugs can be fixed?...what is a non fixable bug..?....
    All bugs can be fixed but it doesn't necessarily mean they will stay fixed, every piece of new content runs the risk of unfixing them. The XXL expansion for instance activated the last part of the quest ''Ranged units'' for me. All new content also runs the risk of creating new bugs it's the nature of programming.

Town Councillor
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by BB_Ravel View Post

CoffeePowered, I don't handle the test server forums myself so, unfortunately, I was unable to find where the Improved Farm issue is reported. If you would be kind enough to point it out, it would be appreciated.

It's very important for everyone to know that the test server recently got a new dedicated CM, BB_Orowa, as seen here. I have been working with BB_Orowa for years and am sure he will do a great job. However, unless bugs are actually reported, there is no way we can see and fix them in time. Over the years I have been reading about some of you losing faith in the test server, but if issues get reported in time, the fixable ones should not make it into the live versions. So please make sure to report any encountered issues!

That being said, as Bluesavanah pointed out, some bugs are harder to fix than others. Thank you to those of you who understand this!
    @Ravel: HOW LOUD DO WE NEED TO SHOUT SO THAT YOU HEAR ABOUT THE BUGS WHICH MAKE PLAYERS SUFFER?
    Raising a ticket alone doesn't seem to do the trick ... posting on the forums also gets no attention.

But hey, when you note that someone is happy with something - NERF. Wham. Now. "Necessary, urgent Hotfix".

You "fix" the issues within days that make players happy, but the stuff which makes players unhappy ... nobody even bothers with? Wait until the problem goes away - or until the players go away?

Ruler of the Land TheVictorious's Avatar
    World
    Sandycove
    I think no one can be annoyed from bug more than me, BUT as I'm senior developer and know how things going you really guys need to understand why some bugs solved quickly and another not:
    * First of all, what make it priority or not is what effect of bug not is it give player benefit or not, imagine if they delayed the farm fix issue, and you destroyed your all regular farms (like what a few players did) and then got fixed, you will blame BB again for delaying of fixing bugs? , who told you they fix what only give a player benefit? if you old player and was playing the game from 2012 you maybe can remember the bug of using same buff twice, this bug simply was make stacks of 4 baskets, then use buff on friend's building and back quickly use same buff on your building, same was for resources buffs.

* Another point, what make a bug most important than another is that bug know for players as a bug or they really think its a normal behavior?, because if you think its just normal behavior you might build your city on that bug, and once its solved, your city all will be down.

* Fixing bugs is not ABC , and not all bugs are clear in code like its is looks like, some of bugs can be solved quickly like just a change of variables like what was in farm issue the value of levels was still 1 , another bugs related to logic of code that hidden somewhere inside hundreds of code lines, it could be a side effect of another feature so if its changed, that feature might be got broken and things getting worst, so sometimes need to re-write all the code again and again.

* This game come with continuously events, and weekly maintenance what you think developers doing in these days?

* Lastly do you really know anything about developing to say what you are saying ?

Patient.

Treasure Hunter
    World
    Newfoundland
    if my car kept on have faults when taking it to the same garage over and over again does it make sense to have the same mechanic look at it?..
    surely the best thing is to change the mechanic cause obviously he is useless at his job...enough said

Town Councillor
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVictorious View Post
    I think no one can be annoyed from bug more than me, BUT as I'm senior developer and know how things going you really guys need to understand why some bugs solved quickly and another not:
    Well, ... I, myself, am not a "senior developer". My job is usually helping software development companies moving from failure to success.
    I did develop software for about 2 decades, though. So, I have a different take than you.

* First of all, what make it priority or not is what effect of bug not is it give player benefit or not, imagine if they delayed the farm fix issue, and you destroyed your all regular farms (like what a few players did) and then got fixed, you will blame BB again for delaying of fixing bugs?
    Some things are quick and easy to resolve with a simple front page post: "WARNING: Improved Farms will be modified with the next update!"
    We call this "Minimum viable change".

who told you they fix what only give a player benefit?
    Who told? It's an impression that customers get. If you want to leave a positive impression, the easiest way to do that is by improving communication and ... admitting mistakes. Not just the mistakes that make players suffer "Oooh, you got more than you should. SLAP." (remember Storehouses, anyone?)
    Will players get recompensed for the hundreds of collectibles they are missing? The 75 Pumpkins they lost? A statement of apology for the missing achievement?
    The event is OVER - and nothing so far.

Let's get back to the priority issue. You don't need a fix for something that's no longer in use. Not fixing something while it still matters may also be called "Complete failure". They failed to fix it. Simple as that.

* Another point, what make a bug most important than another is that bug know for players as a bug or they really think its a normal behavior?, because if you think its just normal behavior you might build your city on that bug, and once its solved, your city all will be down.
    Like I said - a frontpage announcement would have clarified that. People who can't read also don't plan strategy based on information text. But even a Dr. Dr. Dr. PhD. MSc can't help with technically impossible constraints. Simple as that.

* Fixing bugs is not ABC , and not all bugs are clear in code like its is looks like
    BDD, TDD, CI, DoD, Code Conventions, Style Guides, Emergent Design, yada yada. Poor craftsmanship is no excuse for poor service.
    Inability to understand modern engineering practices isn't an excuse, either.
    But hey, maybe [Removed] will help a bit.

some of bugs can be solved quickly like just a change of variables like what was in farm issue the value of levels was still 1 , another bugs related to logic of code that hidden somewhere inside hundreds of code lines
    I know that "can be". But: It [Removed]shouldn't be.

Again, poor craftsmanship is no excuse for poor service. Especially not when it's the same guys who have the problem as who wrote the code.

it could be a side effect of another feature
    That's a common problem if you're not using [Removed]SOLID principles.
    But again - poor craftsmanship is no excuse for poor service.

so if its changed, that feature might be got broken and things getting worst, so sometimes need to re-write all the code again and again.
    Yeah, that kinda stuff happens when you don't [Removed]know how to produce quality software.
    But again - poor craftsmanship is no excuse for poor service.

* This game come with continuously events, and weekly maintenance what you think developers doing in these days?
    What matters is probably more how their Product is being planned. That's not a developer reponsibility. Poor Product Ownership is the root of many problems, but BB is working more PMI-style, so we probably see a whole bunch of managers prioritizing, which - of course - implies that priority decisions can't be made swiftly.

* Lastly do you really know anything about developing to say what you are saying ?
    At least enough to earn my living. But judge yourself.

Please don't post outside links.
    Last edited by MOD_Houri; 10.11.15 at 16:07.

Committed Clicker
    World
    Sandycove
    Sadly we cannot prove all the bugs reported on the test server were reported prior to being repeated in the live game because the test server forums were wiped recently.

Also, the test server is a very bad environment to test things like the new geologist because there's no production due to storehouses being full all the time and deposits are almost all 9000. No realistic production, or trade, or adventuring being done. Everyone is max level so there's no incentive. This has all been mentioned before as well.

Town Councillor
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpielein View Post
    Please don't post outside links.
    Sorry Houri.
    Yes, I should have remembered that TSO and Bluebyte have absolutely nothing to do with Software Craftsmanship and Good Engineering Practice.
    Got derailed here.

Ruler of the Land TheVictorious's Avatar
    World
    Sandycove
    Oh man, seriously ! this is human made not God Made ! and this is a game should be for fun, if you don't have fun, why you play it at all.

Technologies getting improved by time, you cant reach top with out walking step by step.

No idea the way you reply is so aggressive I have nothing to say, because I think I was clear with my previous reply.

And again, you will not ever find any single software complete even 90% . if you can give me one I will quit this game, and quit my job and work as garbage collector

And for farm, the farm was clear in details and what consume in forum, in test, in many everything you want is in front of your eyes but you don't want to see, this is your issue.

Keen Commentor
    World
    Newfoundland
    Well what I don't get is that since they can fix the Imp Farm this fast, why hasn't the Geo been fixed too? I mean the new one. He was added around the same time and it has bugs as well. (depots marked as fast but being regular depots when used).

Reply to Thread