Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: [Feedback] New chat features

Keen Commentor
    World
    Sandycove
    That adventure tabs will be very useful. Also, i love the example.

Skilled Student
    World
    Sandycove
    It would be even better, if players had a chance to disconnect from the chat. Loading a chat on slow Internet takes a while. The ability to turn it off will solve the connectivity issues.

Architect of the Empire
    World
    Sandycove
    While your doing this I would of thought group whisper should of been added, there are times when you wish to talk with multiple people and a Global channel won't cut it.

Skilled Student
    World
    Sandycove
    This look good

Committed Clicker
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by topgearfan View Post
    Instead of removing the channels have you ever wondered why the foreign language channels are hardly used?

Because:

the game doesnt save the global channel so every time you refresh you have to join the channel again. in a game where refresh is a solution to everything this is a big problem!
    the joining itself is made by a command you have to type in that no one knows and channels are marked by numbers that no one remembers! a mechanic from the last century..

Create a dropdown menu or whatever where all the channels are with names you can identify so that the channel can be changed with 2 clicks and repair the saving of the global channel and things will be different!
    I actually agree, global-1 should have a simple drop-down interface to choose language channel rather than the developer-lazy typing input to change option.

I also believe that all (yup all) channels should initiate with a legacy 'last 10' or 'last 20' responses... as suggested a fair while ago in suggestions forum.
    Nowadays, due to connection/lag/lazy-hamsters-on-treadmills a good many players have to refresh every few hours when they return to the game.
    With chat logging (which support assure us they do) the data is already there and the programmatic change is mind-numbingly easy...
    Are they refusing to do it simply because some other games thought of it first?
    Last edited by Tripi; 05.12.15 at 00:06.
    "Your general was a tortoise!" ... "He will now amble back to his garrison as slow as his short reptilian legs will manage"

Original Serf
    World
    Sandycove
    I am not sure if I like this icon thing at all. I very well remember the introduction of the new trade system when for 2 days nine out of ten typed words were 'scales'. Though I agree that that will smooth down quite fast.
    I utterly dislike the idea of limiting chat access. If I started a new game and wasn't able to join chat I would quit immediately. There might be some trolls, so what? Who cares? BUT, there are lots and lots of new players who are glad when they get a warm welcome (this general friendlyness being the one reason I still am occupied with this game - I not yet have forgotten or forgiven the smashing of my pumpkin fields).
    As was pointed out before, level 4 still is an issue. Perhaps more thought should be given to that instead of cutting off new players from help.
    I do not at all approve of the idea to cut language channels. One reason is, quite a lot of players from countries all over the world have settled on the english servers, and another one is that it are these people who help new players (and us) in case a proper communication in english is not possible. (As some may have noted, I am not a native speaker myself.)
    Instead of cutting the number of channels it should be possible to follow more channels at the same time. There once was (perhaps still is) a channel for auctions. I would like to follow it but never did since then I would miss global-1. As I think about it, this must be of even more importance for people using another native language: they have to chose between english and their own tongue. Why? Why can't they have both?
    I am just one single player and came up with these thoughts in about ten minutes, and the BlueByte development team has given thought to it and the result is: 'replace text with icons, and cut down the number of channels'. Well, at that point I have the idea of cutting labour costs.
    You wanted feedback, you got it, though I don't think it will change anything at all. Just, please, don't be surprised if more players quit or give up during the tutorial.

World
    Newfoundland
    The only issue i would imagine, will be for the genuine new player who gets stuck. It happens. Perhaps you could allocate a channel, just for new players up to lvl 10 or something. Or add some tutorial on how to contact a mod, whisper someone, that kind of thing. Alternatively an email, (that can't be deleted until lvl 10) that has links to the in game guides that would be pertinent to a new player.
    Last edited by Kriegor; 05.12.15 at 06:32.

World
    Newfoundland
    from what i have seen "The Settlers Online" team never gives any thought about how to integrate the new stuff with the old or bind them together - you know what i mean.
    they just pile the new on top of the old move on and never look back unless forced.
    reminds me of dumping a bag of trash in a dumpster and slamming the lid. not the best philosophy for any kind of development..
    Was fighting windmills from Aug 2012 to Oct 2019.

Original Serf
    World
    Northisle
    A comment in chat today "Im so lost Im new I barely know what i am doing" Luckily someone posted the link to the newbie guide

Architect of the Empire
    World
    Sandycove
    Given the amount of bugged quests between 1-17 I'm surprised any new player hangs round long enough to chat, but not having access to help to sort out the perfect pinewood quest is ridiculous.

Reply to Thread