Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Minimum level for joining guild

Erudite Pioneer
    World
    Northisle
    Sure, it works both ways, I for one never assume a person with such a tag is a gullible fool, far from it, I said they were unfortunate, and I wasn't using the term "noob" in a pejorative sense in this case.
    But to suggest that you cannot know which these guilds are, is in my view incorrect. I could (but obviously won't here) give you a few names.
    Last edited by Eeyore; 15.12.15 at 16:28. Reason: Typo's again. bah.

Battle Hardened Contributor
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortallicus View Post
    Well just how many poor new players are there?
    I've seen at least a dozen the last few months.

Many new are higher levels on other servers.
    So you are saying the other servers have a completely different game then because the players I see do not manage to complete the tutorial mission yet have been invited to guilds.

Also while they are saying in Global that they are only level 5 they are hitting that apply to a guild button.
    Except that many are not. They get invited or even badgered by someone to join. They may even have no idea what it is they are joining.

Case in point from today in chat:
    [xx:xx] [GUILDTAG] UserName: I was invited to the guild, I don't even know how to engage with them
    That's just so wrong on so many levels.
    Last edited by SnowBlizz; 15.12.15 at 16:26. Reason: typos

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Sandycove
    Well just how many poor new players are there? To make such a broad assumption you must know how many and who are the 'vampire' guilds. So many make these remarks and usually about the 'wrong' guilds. Personally, I would rather accept , ignore and work around then make a mistake and sabotage a guild because i saw a new player 'today' turn into a player with their tag in 10 minutes.

Many new are higher levels on other servers. Most are adults and intelligent but sadly and insultingly assumed not. Also while they are saying in Global that they are only level 5 they are hitting that apply to a guild button. But hey blame the guild that accepts them in public, insult them and the new player. (By the way for those that do not know when the Apply Button is hit the Guild Leader has no idea what level you are until you are in the Guild. We have had levels 1 to 50 apply this way).

They can be better off in a guild if they participate with the other members. The vast majority of guilds are very good it is a small minority that perhaps are not.

As for the issue of not knowing what level a player is, for my guild it clearly states that they must supply their level on their application or it will be rejected.

The new Guild Quest system i hope will liven all the guilds up. It is not the Guilds fault that up to now there are benefits in having higher numbers in the guild. But I believe having too many non actives far from motivates a guild and actually causes active members to leave.

We have never sent an unsolicited Guild invite. Some of our members have received them though. When they report it I write to the guild concerned politely.Also if it happens more than once i advise our member to report the person for harassment. I will never ever call those guilds names. That is school kid tactics . If you give a guild a bad label then it can take them years to get rid of it and why should up to 100 people who get along and play nicely together suffer for the sins of an old leader. Though i am sure all keep up with all that guild's news and movements within it before you insult them.

I will support an increase in level as i have said before but for vastly different reasons from some who post.

I have said enough about this on other similar threads over the last few months so will say no more.
    First naming the vampire guilds will I believe result in MODS removing forum privileges of anyone who does so. Actually I can think of one with a very apt tag.

As for your statement that many new are experienced players is not one I can support. Just to remind you they recently added this game to Steam which caused a large influx of new people and we are still seeing new Steam players even though the game received rather negative reviews on steam.

As for the issue of not knowing what level a player is. Our guild page clearly states that they must supply their player level or face their application being rejected, and they they must be both of a minimum player level and that our chat may not be suitable for players under the age of 25.
    Last edited by Dorotheus; 15.12.15 at 17:51.
    When it comes to Gene pools and shallow ends they can be found at the bar drinking pina colada's

Eggcellent Essayist Mortallicus's Avatar
    World
    Northisle
    The point I have been making is that there are all types of new players, some experienced, different ages etc. What i see is all new players lumped together as a certain type and that I think is so wrong. I am not saying you are all totally wrong. A small minority may need protection of some sort but I believe thats not just our job but BBs. Blaming guilds of doing something wrong because it looks like it when you dont know all the facts is worse still. The majority of guilds are great and most new players can look after themselves. Name calling and joking nastily at both that guild's expense and the new player in global is cruel. Its better nowadays and I want to keep it that way not for myself but for other new guilds who get a bit bored and look for people to chat with in global. All the points i have made are based on my own personal experience.

If you see something wrong then report it, especially you Dorotheus as you seem to feel you have evidence. Everyone should set out to make a good difference not be nasty and name calling. All that genuinely think there is something wrong could really make a good difference for everyone if dealt with in the right way. Report all wrong doing and rule breaking and take the screenshots. Last year i was so bullied and without doing anything wrong I started to believe it was a recruitment tactic by other guilds - chasing out the imagined competition Things have improved vastly as far as I can see dont spoil it by taking a retrograde step.

I have run a guild before on this server for nearly 3 years and reputation is everything to me as I am sure it is to most but the name calling etc some do ruins this for guilds that are doing nothing wrong and it can take a long time to repair. Just make sure you get your facts right , think first and take screenshots. This is what I have done in the past. The new Guild Quests I think will stop a lot of unsolicited guild invites and guilds holding onto empty seats just because they can and it gets them to the first page in the shield.

I think the level for joining or creating a guild could be higher.

Glorious Graduate
    World
    Sandycove
    I noticed a player in global and help tab had been asking questions on and off for a few days. He had a guild tag.

When we chatted in whisper turns out this L 35 player had never received any game help or in game info from anyone in his guild, no one had explained the lootspot system (or offered him a lootspot). He asked question after question and said that in three hours chatting he learned more from me that he had the whole time he had been in his guild. Needless to say, he dumped them and applied to us.

He was one of those who had been pounced upon when he was still a relatively low level....
    On the forum we clearly state we need people to be L 17+ and at least 21 years of age. BUT when people are pounced on and dragged into guilds at anything from L 4 on up just so the guild can make up bigger numbers to get bigger ggc rewards, and the incredibly daft system for guild recruitment does not work......changes would not only be welcome, imo they are essential!!

Yes, incorporate the guild option into the tutorial as a post L 17 extra quest.... add ons are easier than add ins. And add on something that prevents someone joining a guild before L 10 (my preference would be before L 17, if they got that far it indicates some understanding of the game and a willingness to actually play it).
    AND introduce a system of bans for guilds who spam invites. Yes, I know there is a system atm, it doesn't work! A guild wide ban of all players in a guild (for one week)who spam invites would soon sort that prob out!

World
    Northisle
    Zeeta
    Some months ago i joined Sandycove to see how the game changes affected new players. I must say i didnt receive a single Guild Invite and yes i was using another name I did receive friend requests , but not too many. It was so nice i felt an absolute heel experimenting and stopped play not long after the end of the tutorial. I tried to be objective and stuck totally to the tutorial and actually felt a bit lost when it ended. I had little gold coin and the game was not as easy as I thought it would be. But that was my personal experience. I do think Northisle would be a bit different I think there might be more players for one thing. But don't know.

I also agree with the punishing of guilds who spam invites. A guild wide ban of all players seems a bit harsh if they knew nothing about it. I think perhaps a ban for the one that carries out the deed and maybe the leader too as they should have some control. Other guild members would probably leave the guild if it falls into disrepute with BB.
    "Small but beautifully formed ” 
    Tombstone Warriors Guild [ZOMBI]
    Apply now (2nd page in your Guild Shield)

World
    Northisle
    Personally, I'd prefer a system that simply didn't allow a player to join a guild until they were past the tutorial at level 17. At that point, the tutorial could suggest that if they want to join a guild, they could follow the appropriate link (and give link the the recruit section of the forum). Then all recruiting and applying would ONLY be done through the forum, not in game at all.

But since I don't see that ever being implemented the next best thing would be to introduce a minimum level, as has been suggested.

I firmly believe that vulture guilds should be held responsible for looking after their members. If they are doing players, and therefore, the game a disservice then they should be held accountable in some way. Unfortunately, this is also something that is unlikely to occur in any official way. Instead, all that we can do is advise new players against joining them- without naming, of course. But if you lead or are a part of a guild that has a poor reputation, maybe instead of complaining about how players treat your new members when they go into Help and ask a basic game question, you could direct your energies to actually giving them some assistance?

It's also worth noting that if a guild or player keeps sending out random invites, it is considered spam and can be reported to BB who will treat it the same way as chat spamming. Don't forget to screen shot it!

World
    Northisle
    Small guilds would find it hard to man their guilds for 24/7 and I think even the larger guilds do have down times albeit not for long maybe. Also some members are short of time or impatient so they want answers via the fastest route. Waiting another 10 mins for someone to wake up might be too long.

Maybe set up a few guilds for levels 1 - 17 only - run by Mods or players chosen by BB. Of course those running them could not have an interest in any other guild. All new players could be auto tagged and enter a guild as part of tutorial.
    Last edited by Mortallicus; 16.12.15 at 18:00.

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Sandycove
    The idea of tutorial guilds looks good on paper at first glance, how would you suggest the loot spot problem gets handled.
    When it comes to Gene pools and shallow ends they can be found at the bar drinking pina colada's

World
    Northisle
    Dorotheus, I'm not sure I understand your point. Loot spots wouldn't be an issue until level 26+ for a vast majority of players.

I love the idea of a tutorial guild but I think it would have to be run by volunteer players if it were to happen at all. Have the leader and a handful of experienced players as officers who's intent would be to guide new players with advice, links, hints and tips would be a wonderful idea but I would find it difficult to believe BB would consider it in any official way is it would need monitoring and that would be near impossible from their point of view. If I could run a second guild, I'd consider it but my Intel guild comes first.

Reply to Thread