Reply to Thread

Thread: Obsolete guides

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Sandycove

Obsolete guides

Thanks to the evolution of the game we now have guides in the forums which are no longer valid. It's all very well when us long established players loss troops because of this, we are able to absorb the losses easily. Besides we should know better. However newer players can get caught out so badly that it discourages them enough to abandon the game. I suggest that the forum mods remove those old guides from the forums. What do you think ?
    When it comes to Gene pools and shallow ends they can be found at the bar drinking pina colada's

World
    Sandycove
    +1
    This idea is strongly supported from my side, countless times my guildies ran onto those old ones and got punched very badly with a failed block or even the attack setup.
    However, someone would have to recognize the old from new guides before removal

World
    Northisle
    +1
    It's a great idea, but as Urgh123 pointed out, somebody would need to go through and identify which guides were now unnecessary or outdated, and I'd imagine that'd be pretty time consuming...!

World
    Newfoundland
    or mods could edit in a warning in big red letters to first post of the outdated threads.

what adv besides tailor and rb have changed enough to make older guides dangerous to use?
    Was fighting windmills from Aug 2012 to Oct 2019.

World
    Newfoundland
    as far as i am aware, only FT guides and RB need to be careful with, and with regards to guides on the forum, the stickied guides are regularly updated, and other guides are in date order, so most used/commented on/newly added will be at the top.
    Maybe removing old guides is not necessary, but an archive section could work. Move guides that are older than a certain date, with no comments also after a certain time. That way they can still be referenced or changed in future, but less likely to cause confusion if out of date

Architect of the Empire
    World
    Sandycove
    The entire forum is actually long overdue for an overhaul, the public day-to-day bits as well as some of the long standing things and some of the behind the scenes settings inclusive.

Outdated adventure guides would benefit from added warnings since comments aren't always an accurate indicator of use, views, on any guide, may be a better measure of activity though also not a perfect one. A public archive would likely be preferable to complete removal as there may still be parts of various guides that are useful and used.

There are a number of Official Stickies that are also shaky, either due to advanced age or to some confusion about criteria. "Stickied because someone has the power to sticky" should not come into play, community requests, usefulness and actual use should.

Guide of the Month Ruler of the Land Nogbad's Avatar
    World
    Newfoundland
    I still use SidV.
    Actually a very good way to learn how units stack up against each other.
    I'd agree with Kit, maybe an archive section would be the way to go as there are some guides pages into the past that are still very valid even though they have not been commented upon for ages.
    Think it's been suggested before, but maybe it's time to Killste the Killste, that and several other threads have now got so huge that they are a nightmare to navigate. Case in point is the xmas adv guides, which do appear in there but have never been linked to the page of contents.

Suppose it's too much to ask for the Devs to do the same with the bug report section?
    Last edited by Nogbad; 03.01.16 at 20:33.
    We love our new CM.

Newfoundland: 20th November 2011 to 25th November 2014. RIP
    It was good while it lasted.

Reply to Thread