Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Women's Day Gifts

World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by Iolanthe View Post
    No-one's said there's anything wrong with flowers Alsh, in fact I said the opposite. And of course BB could simply switch and do something like this:

But that also seems rather to miss the point and be "a bit weird."

Of the posts so far in this thread only two are *grunting* or CAPSing, not a whole lot of whinging going on. Wherever the conversation falls in each of our personal comfort zones it's one worth having and, just a game or elsewhere, one worth having with minimal dismissiveness and snark. That really shouldn't be that much to ask. If people absolutely adore only-flowers, cool beans. If anyone has other ideas, also cool.
    Actually, there have been a lot of people criticising the flowers on the other associated thread, along with the whinging I referred to. The only reason that the image you've posted is "a bit weird", as you put it is due to the text accompanying it. The flowers in that could easily be given to the knight from an admirer once the pesky dragon was vanquished.

I'd be way more impressed with the alternate suggestions if they hadn't been made without the benefit of hindsight and the general feeling of "I know better". Though I get the distinct feeling that any gift that BB made would have been wrong to some. Too many posters (not just on this thread, btw) simply complain. And it's the same few, generally. Prettying up a whinge with old links, nice images or some other fancyness doesn't make it any less of a whinge.

I don't understand why people feel a need to incessantly accuse and moan- it's not constructive. Those who genuinely have issues they want to raise end up getting their point hi-jacked by the complainers and self-agrandisers.

I would be willing to bet the entirety of my star menu that every single one of the complainants still managed to overlook just how offended they were and accept the flowers in the mail.

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Sandycove
    So BB give away some free pixels and a bunch of players moan about that they want some other free pixels. How about you shut up and start thinking about how you can support the cause.
    When it comes to Gene pools and shallow ends they can be found at the bar drinking pina colada's

World
    Newfoundland
    Personally, I'd enjoy it a lot more if instead of holiday gifts, BB gave us holiday quests. Something small, like "give your female settlers flowers for women's day - plant a flowerbed by each building with a female worker" - or something less obscure as I think there is only one such building. And then give a special flowerbed as a reward, like pink or something that isn't available otherwise. Or for labour day "pause x of your production buildings for x amount of time" and then have the rest produce a little more than normally as a reward.

Maybe there could be even holiday guild quests and they could give some extra reward in addition to the coins.

Architect of the Empire
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by Alsh View Post
    Actually, there have been a lot of people criticising the flowers on the other associated thread, along with the whinging I referred to. The only reason that the image you've posted is "a bit weird", as you put it is due to the text accompanying it. The flowers in that could easily be given to the knight from an admirer once the pesky dragon was vanquished.
    Hey Alsh, might reread the associated thread. It's something of a reach to say even that a lot of people posted in it before it was locked. I reckon there's a good chance there would be posts asking what on earth a set of blue flowers, and nothing but blue flowers, have to do with St. George's Day, no matter the tale, if that's what appeared on the day. Given the goals of Women's Day the text and gifts in the tweaked image for George look no more peculiar to me than the IWD mail. If a mail containing only-brew rolled out on International Men's Day that would also seem as odd.

I'd be way more impressed with the alternate suggestions if they hadn't been made without the benefit of hindsight and the general feeling of "I know better". Though I get the distinct feeling that any gift that BB made would have been wrong to some. Too many posters (not just on this thread, btw) simply complain. And it's the same few, generally. Prettying up a whinge with old links, nice images or some other fancyness doesn't make it any less of a whinge.

I don't understand why people feel a need to incessantly accuse and moan- it's not constructive. Those who genuinely have issues they want to raise end up getting their point hi-jacked by the complainers and self-agrandisers.
    In a game with thousands of players it's a rare day everyone is entirely happy with things, that's normal. It doesn't mean there isn't actually room for improvement. And aye, complaining streaks do come and go but are they all that different from streaks of "Everything BB do is wonderful" or knee-jerk reactions to the player rather than the post or the too common belief that snark automatically = wit and insight? Personally I find all those just as hard to take seriously and more likely to bury legitimate issues. I'm afraid I don't understand the other bits about hindsight, the problem with pictures, or old links. Which old link where?

The original suggestion remains the same and it still seems perfectly reasonable to me to look again at the Women's Day gifts in comparison with gifts on other days.

Is it an End of the World Thing? Nope, it's one of those many many little things we a lot of us so often overlook or don't really think about and frankly if the associated thread had been handled differently I'd likely have skipped it again this year, or let loose just enough of my non-existent German to post the pictures in their thread but that's not how it worked out.

I would be willing to bet the entirety of my star menu that every single one of the complainants still managed to overlook just how offended they were and accept the flowers in the mail.
    Are you really, truly, absolutely, 100% certain that's a bet you want to make?

Quote Originally Posted by Dorotheus View Post
    So BB give away some free pixels and a bunch of players moan about that they want some other free pixels. How about you shut up and start thinking about how you can support the cause.
    Hi Dorotheus, that's quite an assumption you're making, not to mention rude to a degree that's utterly uncalled for.
    Last edited by Iolanthe; 12.03.16 at 16:15. Reason: Accuracy.

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Newfoundland
    I think maybe this day means something different to different people. It depends on your age culture and gender. In my country the day is a political event, and you cant celebrate it in an non-political way.

Every thing you do is politics. Sending flowers and putting a picture of a girl that would make Dolly Parton envious, is offensive to a woman from Denmark who is not 17. (hope this is not to offensive to the censoring - and again f it is - remove words- dont put others that I did not chose).

It might no be offensive to a person who come from a culture who still think it is ok - to view women mainly as a decorative object. For me 8th of may is am occasion to ? this kind of view that this post by BB represent to me.

Maybe it would be better not to mark political occasions then. I dont think everybody would like BB to mark 1st of may by sending us "enslave your workers - whip them to produce 5 times more"

Got to think a llittle and found out that a great way to celebrate 8th of march would be to launch new female general, geologist or explorer, and to announce that they-are going to employ more females, so they can ask for advice before launching next time

Another picture and another gift would have make it ok to celebrate it yes,- but if they dont have enough insight to do so - then better just leave it be. I can do without the gift.
    Last edited by Urd123; 12.03.16 at 13:45. Reason: forgot something
    If for some reason support feels the need to edit what I wrote, please delete entire post instead, dont put words into my mouth that I never said.

Master of Strategy
    World
    Sandycove
    As this thread has also now turned into a political debate, I'm closing it for review by BB_Ravel.
    Reviewed.
    Last edited by BB_Ravel; 15.03.16 at 17:14.

Closed Thread