Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: [Feedback] Building Space - Dev Blog

World
    Newfoundland
    Ok i have rearranged much of my island, although far from all of it. I hope i have targeted the issue buildings, as i understand it from the blog.
    Looking at the change maps shows the changes but not the issues i think.

Is there any way i could get a health check on my island? As Dorotheus has already mentioned, I do not know for sure if all is ok now. All i know is i moved heaps of buildings on the assumption that if i am allowed to place the building it must be ok to do so.

Would this assumption be sufficient?

Pathfinder
    World
    Sandycove
    If I'm reading this right, this problem/feature has been caused by the past structure of the grid/zone system and the algorithms required to place buildings and how this sometimes hasn't worked due to conflicts with features embedded in the grid/zone system - and how we, as players need to change the positions of some buildings to overcome it. To do this, we, the players, are given a detailed explanation which any developer/programmer (with a few degrees) can understand. I must admit, I'm a few degrees short of understanding it.

I'm not knocking the developers as this is one of those hindsight things that has crept up over time and now needs attention to rectify it. Unfortunately, we as players, have had to use the platform that we were given to place our buildings and work out production chains etc. I don't think anyone will complain about altering their building layout to help sort the problem if we can see - a) that we actually need to move a building, b) that we can move it somewhere 'safe', c) that we don't lose available building plots, d) that it doesn't interfere (too much) with production chains. We, as players, will do our bit.

So that we can work together on it, what we need is direct help from the developers - not simply a technical explanation. It might involve a bit of work for them - but to be fair, they expect us to do work too in restructuring our building layout (which we were quite happy with in the first place). It would also be great if the players could feel that we were working together with the developers.

It has been mentioned before - giving us highlights on our islands where the conflicting areas are would be invaluable. Not difficult as an overlaying layer would do this. This would answer a) and b) above. Losing building space could be addressed by eliminating the odd bush or similar - the 'decorative' ones ... which would also go to help rearranging production chains.

This is a brilliant opportunity for the developers to get a lot of credit from the players instead of the usual not so complimentary observations ... just a thought.

Town Councillor
    World
    Sandycove
    Reading this thread it looks like devs have some more work to do and so do we players. That inevitably leads to a request: Can we have the Free move event longer? I wouldn't mind having it for complete two weeks at least to allow enough time to consider and double check all changes made to layout.

Skilled Student
    World
    Northisle
    A simple response to a question on a simple issue. Quite simply, what on earth happens if, in good faith, you see nothing wrong with your island but however there is something amis? Is one responsible for knowing that there is an error on something that one trusted was done right first time?

It isnt difficut

World
    Newfoundland
    how we can check if buildings are working or not?
    “A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.”

― Frank Zappa

Naveed1967
    its a free buildings' moves week, i did move witch castle now i am unable to put them at old place

and now only 1 day left and i can't put witch castle back

naveed

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Newfoundland
    About that technical English, I don't think it is to consider hard to understand for specifically players whom English is not their first language, but rather for players who are not that technically minded. Simplifying would most likely not just make it easier to understand, but could actually make it even worse because of lost context, et c.

I do agree this Building Space Dev Blog did not completely explain why certain changes had to be implemented and the reasons behind the difficult decisions that had to be made, nor did it fully explain the system and answer all of the most frequent questions.

Although, I do appreciate it; as when adding that publically new info to what's already known, it do explain a lot. Also in consideration of what/when/how info usually has been delivered, this was better than I expected.

Those "before" and "current" screenshots do serve for map comparison when trying to identify which buildings are in lost building spots. As there's actually no explained need for movement (other than the fact we're in a free "Move Building" event atm) I prefer they would not promptly adding yet another script to mark them ingame. And why would they as current state won't be the final.

Bushes and the usage of the flowerbed bug was not even mentioned in this blog. What's been told about that issue is "due to some future features and other planned changes, this could potentially led to very serious problems, down to locked zones". My biggest wonder is about those features.
    Last edited by SmurfAsH; 18.04.16 at 09:22.
    25/11-14 , 23/02-16 .. The end is coming and it will look like this .

Skilled Student
    World
    Newfoundland
    Sadly all this building space updating didn't stop from collectibles still spawning inside buildings (mostly improved storehouses). You'd think that would be fixed since it's related.

Enlightened Sage
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Naveed1967 View Post
    its a free buildings' moves week, i did move witch castle now i am unable to put them at old place

and now only 1 day left and i can't put witch castle back

naveed
    That's because they "fixed" dark castle few months ago. It originally took less space than it was supposed to take when placed. It was said in change logs and forums.

World
    Newfoundland
    well enough written and explained imo. building space maps are useful. thank you.
    only complaint is that dev blogs should be written before things happen not after the poop hits the fan.
    Was fighting windmills from Aug 2012 to Oct 2019.

Reply to Thread