Reply to Thread

Thread: Technical assistance = does anyone use a hand held tablet to play on?

Skilled Student
    World
    Sandycove

Technical assistance = does anyone use a hand held tablet to play on?

I need something to play Settlers (SO) on, and I am trying to work out what i need.

I think Settlers require Flash = so it must have windows as Android does not support flash. (is this right?)

Then i need to look for a tablet (this one has both win10 and android)
    [removed]
    this is quite large - a 10" screen - and i can find smaller ones.

Is there anything to be aware of to make sure Settlers Online will run smoothly?
    (Obviously a wifi connection is going to be needed)

Is anyone using a tablet and finding specific issues or that tablets can run SO well?

Please do not post non-tso links.
    Last edited by MOD_Houri3; 12.09.16 at 16:03.

Battle Hardened Contributor
    World
    Northisle
    Yes. It requires a fair amount of resource to run (to start really). I find starting the game up on my Surface 3 Pro to be rather slow. On an ADSL hook-up painfully so. After that though less of an issue.
    Having a small screen can make it hard to send attacks quickly for blocks. Though high resolution on tablets do help as you get more use out of the screen area. On the other hand finding collectibles can become a bit more challenging. Get as big a screen as you can afford I'd say, 12"+ be recommended IMHO anyway. Going to want make sur ecna conenct mouse or other pointer device too. Clicking on screen for something is rather imprecise, I've found buffing buildings to be relly hit and miss, literally(!) on a touchscreen. However, just tapping collectibles as you see them is quite fun.

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Sandycove
    For Android tablets use Puffin Browser, this is a cloud browser and has the required flash running on their servers. After 10 days you do need to pay a annual subscription fee of around £1.78 a year. Go for 10 inch, while 7 inches is usable you will find difficulty in setting up a a few blocks in game with a screen that small, I have yet to find a block I can't set up on the 10 inch screen. Puffin does have a virtual mouse pad available which while a little imprecise is far better than just relying on touchscreen and it's theatre mode alllows you to move the map around by swiping. I've been running the game soley on tablet since XXL came out.
    Last edited by Dorotheus; 13.09.16 at 16:59. Reason: doh wrong spieces of bird
    When it comes to Gene pools and shallow ends they can be found at the bar drinking pina colada's

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Northisle
    Download Puffin browser, free to use and has flash built in, I use it on my phone.

Jolly Advisor
    World
    Newfoundland
    Yes, me too, use it on my phone and ipad

Skilled Student
    World
    Sandycove
    Thank you for the replies, this has been really helpful.

Also I did not know about Puffin, which will also really help me out.

Jolly Advisor
    World
    Newfoundland
    You can use an OTG (On the Go) adapter with many tablets - that allows you to use a mouse. So Puffin plus a mouse.

Reply to Thread