Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: HTML5 version of the game (dropping Flash)

Jolly Advisor
    World
    Sandycove
    most browsers have already started to block flash. its not so much cause of flash itself but all the malware and spyware adobe put in it just as they do for all their products. flash is well beyond its sell by date and needs to be banned. its only still going cause most browser games r refusing to get rid of it. my anti virus goes nuts everytime flash gets an update and i have to spend hrs getting rid of all the bloatware viruses and other junk that comes in the updates. last update install files i didnt want and no option to stop it installing them. My ISP had to come out and replave my modem and do some work on my PC to get rid of the stuff adobe put on my system without my knowledge which was causing a prob with my internet connection all the way to my ISP. Java is another thats needs to be baned as thats a hackers dream cause its so easy to hack into system running java and flash. Some games have switched to HTML5 and they run far better now. even silverlight would be a better opttion than flash and java as it does the job of both. but even that is being critised for causing probs in browser games. There was a call out for a world wide ban on flash a few years ago. most sites stopped using it. chrome has banned flash but games still using it have told ppl how to unban it cause their to lazy to rewrite the programs for their games. 1 game i used to play only took a few days to change the programming to HTML5 so it can be done with competant programmers. when they switch the game was only down for 10 mins. man what a big diff in how the game ran. faster more stable no crashes every few hrs. graphics were not as good but the game was far better. Most of the bugs in the game comes from flash rather than the game itself.

Pathfinder
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by BB_Saqui View Post
    Thanks all for your concerns. Flash isn't going anywhere anytime soon. The news that many of you are referencing is in regards to Flash being active by default on those browsers mentioned. This means that when you reach some Flash-enabled content, it will ask your permission before activating it; this is only a good thing because it gives you a choice. Since you guys play "The Settlers Online", you've made the choice to show that content to play the game.

We don't plan on stopping development with Flash. Remember that if Flash was somehow ever going to go away permanently, we would be the first to take action and inform our community accordingly.

Until that happens, you have nothing to worry about.
    How about Adobe's announcement about Flash EOL?
    https://blogs.adobe.com/conversation...sh-update.html

Given this progress, and in collaboration with several of our technology partners – including Apple, Facebook, Google, Microsoft and Mozilla – Adobe is planning to end-of-life Flash. Specifically, we will stop updating and distributing the Flash Player at the end of 2020 and encourage content creators to migrate any existing Flash content to these new open formats.

Jolly Advisor
    World
    Sandycove
    as edge and chrome have already blocked flash and the download version of settlers has even worse lag than the online version and the steam version is even worse i say settlers will be dead by the end of this year unless they switch to HTML5 or webGL.Even adobe have said flash will be removed totaly by the end of 2020. So u wont even be able to use it even if u stick with flash programing as flash wont even be in existence. Adobe announced years ago that the life of flash is going to end but didnt give any dates for it till recently. Prob is HTML5 still uses java which has even more security issues than flash.

Its not just BB that wont switch away from flash though Just about all the browser game devs r saying the same thing No plans to stop using flash.

My feelings r they r just going to keep the games going pumping up the price of game currency or like goodgame increase the amount of offers requiring real money to get as much out of the players as they can then when flash is gone close the games down.

Travian have already started closing their flash games down. Travian sent out warning telling those using chrome and edge if they want to keep playing switch to a diff browser. but if players wanted to carry on using chrome they gave the instructions on how to unblock flash but use at ur own risk.

The reason why adobe r getting rid of flash is due to al the complaints about how bad it is and all the security loopholes in it allowing others to get access to ur system and steal credit card info. Flash and java is how hackers get into systems to take all the info they need to steal ur ID and banking details. Hell even the NSA and NASA got hacked via flash and java lol.

The security issues with adobe is not restricted to flash either PDF reader and photoshop have major security issues as well. HTML5 will remove the security probs with flash but will still have the same probs due to java. Not sure if webGL needs java or not but it seems a better option to HTML5 Or microsofts silverlight might be an option as that does the same job as java and flash combined without the security issues. But silverlight is old as well and beyond its use by date just like flash.

littlepret
    I hope they hire more employee to solve the problems. I saw this happens in others games, and that time was terrible. No new content for long month and years.

Enlightened Sage
    World
    Newfoundland
    They have already confirmed after the Flash announcement that there will be no HTML5/WebGL version of the nor they have plans for TSO2. They are researching/looking into making the game as a downloadable version only which will bypass the plugin and browser dependency.

littlepret
    Quote Originally Posted by Mannerheim View Post
    They have already confirmed after the Flash announcement that there will be no HTML5/WebGL version of the nor they have plans for TSO2. They are researching/looking into making the game as a downloadable version only which will bypass the plugin and browser dependency.

See this. It seems official but not on a front page:
    https://forum.thesettlersonline.cz/t...ll=1#post18711

Enlightened Sage
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by littlepret View Post

See this. It seems official but not on a front page:
    https://forum.thesettlersonline.cz/t...ll=1#post18711
    Yeah I've seen it but it's posted by a local community manager. At test server there is a post by the core development team member or at German forum by World wide community coordinator.

Reply to Thread