Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: HTML5 version of the game (dropping Flash)

Dedicated Scribe
    World
    Newfoundland
    BB has already given its answer on Flash support in browsers: it has given us a standalone client which has its own flash embedded therefore it does not matter what the browser makers do.

We will always have a game to play whatever happens to Flash. As for re-writing to HTML5, it will be a big job and will require re-writing large parts of the game, some things may not even be possible in HTML5 versus Flash. I am going through a similar process at work migrating our product from Silverlight to HTML5. I have played this game since 2012 and I rarely get lag, the only times I have noticed server based lag is during busy events but those days have not been seen for a long while. I play the game in the standalone client, it is stable and 'lag' free. A lot of what people consider to be lag is actually their own PC resource issues such as processes consuming disk or processors, it doesn't matter how fast your PC is if there's something errant going on behind the scenes. The only time I get booted is when I leave it idle minimised, same as the browser does, I would question if that is not by design.

When Flash reaches EOL there will be a notice period of at least a few years and even then there will be ways to continue using Flash in browsers, exactly as there has been for Silverlight, not sure what the fuss is about.

Some of the things people are complaining about such as time it takes to queue/de-queue items are semantics of the client-server environment/deficient functionality, not anything at all to do with flash. If BB gave you a button that de-queued all items in the queue except the currently building one, it would need to talk to the database once, not once per item. That is just inadequate design, not lag.

If you're playing the game in a browser, do yourself a favour and install the standalone client. Most of the 'Flash' issues are caused by Flash objects on other browser tabs you have open at the same time as playing.
    Last edited by Baggis; 18.03.17 at 16:15.

Dedicated Scribe
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVictorious View Post

Edit: if BB allow me to post one link about flash + Microsoft here, I can post it, but you can search in Google about the "Microsoft To Add Flash Blocking in Windows 10", interesting article, which clearly says, zero-day is very very soon for the flash.
    You're spreading mis-information, this is relating to BROWSERS and more specifically Microsoft EDGE and optional blocking.

Nobody is doubting that Flash is on the way out but there's still 10% of internet sites using it, it will go to click to play first for a long while before it is blocked all together.

There is no evidence that Flash will be blocked anything other than optionally in Browsers.

"In future Windows 10 operating systems releases, Microsoft will provide users with the means to block Flash use. They'll get a dialog box when visiting Web sites that will offer choices on whether to block or use Flash"
    Last edited by Baggis; 18.03.17 at 16:43.

Ruler of the Land TheVictorious's Avatar
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by Baggis View Post
    You're spreading mis-information, this is relating to BROWSERS and more specifically Microsoft EDGE and optional blocking.

Nobody is doubting that Flash is on the way out but there's still 10% of internet sites using it, it will go to click to play first for a long while before it is blocked all together.

There is no evidence that Flash will be blocked anything other than optionally in Browsers.

"In future Windows 10 operating systems releases, Microsoft will provide users with the means to block Flash use. They'll get a dialog box when visiting Web sites that will offer choices on whether to block or use Flash"
    the option is to enable flash, not to block flash, flash will be blocked by default, and exceptionally you allow some websites, or just allow all, already got issue opened with solutions on issue forum.
    Hello People

World
    Northisle
    using standalone clients, happy so far. Takes a little fiddling with a 64 bit PC but not too bad, search these forums for a solution if you are stuck.
    Have fun!

Nifty
    World
    Northisle
    Does BB`s `slim browser` reduce some of the lag issues that we all experience ? I know it still uses flash but is it actually better than using standard browsers ?

PS - i still cant get my slim browser to work btw lol.

Nifty
    World
    Northisle
    thanks for your help easytarget1 - had to uninstall vlc media player in the end to get slim browser to work , couldn't figure out the file extension association changes...

World
    Northisle
    recently I have had major lag issues when on an adventure and I invite others. I've updated flash, changed the pepflashplayer.dll that slim browser uses in plugins directory and made the changes to json files so we'll see if that helps with the lag issues.

Are there any network guru's that know what port the slim browser uses so I can setup port forwarding and what not - may not need to but it all helps. Prolly have to install a network monitoring tool to find out the ports used but hopefully someone knows.
    Have fun!

World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by EasyTarget1 View Post
    Are there any network guru's that know what port the slim browser uses so I can setup port forwarding and what not - may not need to but it all helps. Prolly have to install a network monitoring tool to find out the ports used but hopefully someone knows.
    It uses the same ports as any other web browser so it connects to 80 and 443 on the server side. You don't need any port forwarding as long as you can browse the web.

World
    Northisle
    sorted, its called slim browser but it doesn't seem to be a web browser so just making sure. I did find a couple of flash player ports used but these are only for media which I doubt applies. There has been a change tho in the lock ups for me so I think my connection was being monitor and a bug found. Was happening on every adventure where I invited others but last night when the lock up occurred I had a network refresh after a couple of minutes and never needed to close slim browser in order to continue with my adv. Since then all seems well. Further testing to be done but good signs.
    Have fun!

World
    Northisle
    got another lock up so things not great, support are working on it so hopefully it gets resolved.
    Have fun!

Reply to Thread