Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Cake Day Celebration

Original Serf
    World
    Newfoundland
    Hi all Settlers I am from Denmark and I love a Sarah Bernhardt cake and would love to give a piece to all on my friend list and all Mods from help and g1.

Original Serf
    World
    Newfoundland
    Yum yum! Black Forest for me -- and a big slice for my first TSO friend, spudjoe

Glorious Graduate
    World
    Newfoundland
    Mango pie with vanilla ice-cream

World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosejane View Post
    I've made this cake for Christmas for the last 50 years, also birthday's & my son's wedding (3 layers, 3 sizes). I've never had a failure & everyone loves it.
    Sorry it is not decimal.

‘TIMES’ CHRISTMAS CAKE

10 oz plain flour
    1 level teaspoon mixed spice
    1 level teaspoon salt
    1/2 lb butter
    1/2 lb soft brown sugar
    4 eggs
    1 tablespoon black treacle
    Grated rind of 1 lemon
    1/2 lb sultanas
    1/2 lb currants
    1/2 lb raisins
    1/4 lb candied peel
    1/4 lb glacé cherries
    2 oz chopped blanched almonds
    2 tablespoons brandy, rum or sherry

Rinse the glacé cherries in warm water to remove sugary coating, dry (cool oven) and cut in half.

Sieve together flour, mixed spice and salt and set aside. Cream together the butter and sugar until soft and light. Lightly mix the eggs, treacle and lemon rind, then gradually beat into the creamed mixture a little at a time. Add some of the flour along with the last additions of egg etc. to prevent the mixture curdling.

Add cherries to mixed dried fruit and peel in large bowl. Mix 1-2 tablespoons of sieved flour into the dried fruit.

Fold the remaining flour into the creamed mixture, then combine with the mixed fruit. Finally add alcohol.

Spoon mixture into a greased and double lined 8" round cake tin and hollow out the centre alittle. Tie folded brown paper or newspaper around the outside of the tin. Place on pad of paper in oven, below centre, at 300º, Mark 2. Bake for 1 1/2 hours, then lower heat to 275º, Mark 1. Test cake with skewer in centre (warm first). It should come out with no uncooked mixture sticking to it.

Cool cake in tin for at least 24 hours. Turn out and remove paper. You can prick with skewer & pour over a little more brandy or sherry but I prefer not to. Wrap in foil or cling film to store.

Cover in marzipan: first warm a little jam or marmalade (about 2 tables spoons) with a little water & spread over the cake. A good tip is to roll the marzipan out to a size that covers the top & 2/3rds of the way down the side. Use a straight side tumbler as a vertical rolling pin to press the marzipan against the side all the way down to the base. Add royal icing, then decorate.
    gets my vote

Pathfinder
    World
    Northisle
    I believe millionaire shortbread is the way go to a slice each for Twitchy and Damerel :-)

Pathfinder
    World
    Northisle
    I like any type of cheese cake, thank you, Happy cake day

Pathfinder
    World
    Newfoundland
    Red Velvet with raspberry and cream filling for my ingame friend judoka

Pathfinder
    World
    Northisle
    hei! i am from Northern Europe. my favorite cake too is Black Forest cake (Schwarzwalder Kirschtorte).

Pathfinder
    World
    Sandycove
    cake with nuts from Romania, need to be accompanied by plum brandy and carols for all my BHG guild and all nice people i meet in that game
    ingredients

For the dough, you need:
    1 kg flour
    50g fresh yeast
    500 ml of milk
    100 g butter
    Sugar 250 g
    5 egg yolks
    teaspoon salt
    lemon and orange peel
    2 sachets vanilla sugar
    For the filling, you need:
    250 g walnuts, ground
    5 egg whites
    100 g sugar
    2 tbsp cocoa
    1 pinch of salt
    rum
    For cakes anointed longer need
    1 egg
    1 teaspoon sugar

check all

Save ingredients
    method of preparation

Flour is sifted 3 times a few hours before cooking. Fluffy cake will be more so if sift flour.
    Butter will bring to room temperature one hour before use.
    Heat the milk in a pot over which add lemon and orange peel and 2 sachets of vanilla sugar and mix well. Separate the yolks rubbed them with 250 g sugar until it melts.
    Prepare leaven. A mix yeast with a teaspoon of sugar until smooth, add 3 tablespoons of warm milk and a tablespoon of flour, then mix a little.
    We put flour in a large bowl and make a nest in the middle of it we put leaven in the dough 10-15 minutes. When the leaven has doubled the volume, add a pinch of salt, warm milk with sugar and yolks rubbed.
    Next, you need to arm yourself with patience, because the success of a well-behaved and very fluffy sponge cake consists of kneading.
    The dough knead with fists and palms, very energetic, about 30 minutes. During kneading, we Brush with butter on your hands, so incorporate the butter into the batter well.
    Cover the dough and leaven stove or near a source of heat for an hour.
    It is very important that the room where dough is kept warm all the time so the dough will rise very nice.
    Higher the dough, make the composition. Mix the egg white with a pinch of salt over which gradually add 100g sugar.
    Add 2 tablespoons ground nuts over cocoa, a teaspoon of essence of Roma and egg whites. Stir gently, to keep its fluffy consistency.
    After the dough has risen, divide it into 4 equal portions. On the bench sprinkle a little flour. Each portion is spread with a rolling pin until diameter as the sheet is shaped cake. Stretched over each sheet, add one-quarter of composition, which is distributed uniformly over the entire sheet. Sheets joins roll and twos.
    Shaped cake baking paper put on a Brush with a little oil. We cakes in shapes and we let it rise until doubled in volume in the same starting heated.
    After they grew up, we Brush with 1 egg beaten with 1 teaspoon sugar. Then we give the oven at 180 degrees for about an hour. In the first 20 minutes, avoid opening the oven.
    Check cakes with a barbecue stick or a toothpick.
    Remove, sprinkle with some water and put over them 2-3 kitchen towels, preferably made of cotton and let it cool.
    enjoy!!!
    Last edited by ponoara; 26.11.16 at 18:36.

Pathfinder
    World
    Sandycove
    red velvet for me and to wobblybob

Reply to Thread