Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Cake Day Celebration

Pathfinder
    World
    Newfoundland
    Hi All
    Im from Denmark, and my favorite cake is The Othellolagkage (Othello Cake)

And i would love to share one piece (or one cake) to everyone in my guild Wolves Of Apocalypse - "WOLFX", for being the best, nicest, most dedicated, friendliest, sweetest, beautifully, goodwilling, benevolenced, kindness, tolerance, tenderness, gentleness, graced, loving kindness, compassion, amiability.

Fasting
    from the guild: Wolves Of Apocalypse

Here is a little nice story about the cake:

The Othellolagkage is named after Shakespeare’s great tragedy Othello which was written in the early 1600’s. Lagkager or Layered cakes are very popular in Denmark and the Othellolagkage is the “creme de la creme” of layered cakes, a true Danish classic. The cake is served on special occasions but it can be quite expensive if bought at the bakery in Denmark. Of course you can make it at home although it is a little time consuming, but well worth your effort. To save some time you can buy the lagkagebunde (cakes for layered cake) at any store in Denmark or if you live overseas, they can be purchased online. However, I choose to make my own lagkagebunde which I had frozen and so all I had to do was pull them out of the freezer to thaw.

Ingredients for Othellolagkage:

2 lagkagebunde (cakes for layered cake, see link for recipe)

1 makronbund (macaroon cake layer, recipe follows)

Lagkagecreme (cake cream, recipe follows)

Kakaoglasur (cocoa glaze, recipe follows)

Marcipanovertræk (marzipan coating, recipe follows)

6 tablespoons strawberry jam (optional)

6 oz heavy whipping creme

Ingredients for Makronbund – Macaroon cake layer: (makes 1)

200 gram marzipan (7 oz.)

100 gram sugar (3 1/2 oz.)

3 egg whites

Directions:

Preheat oven to 200 degrees C (390 degrees F). Take a piece of parchment paper and trace a circle from the baking pan which you used for making the lagkagebunde, I used an 8 inch pan. Set parchment paper with circle aside.

Mix all ingredients together until you have a smooth homogeneous “dough”, this may take a good 5-10 minutes. Place mixture into a plastic bag, cut off corner and squeeze dough onto circle on parchment. Bake for 20 minutes and allow to cool completely before using.

Ingredients for Lagkagecreme – Cake creme:

1 egg

3 egg yolks

4 tablespoons sugar

1 vanilla bean

4 teaspoons flour

4 deciliter whole milk (13 oz.)

1 deciliter heavy whipping cream (4 oz.)

Directions:

Whip egg, egg yolks, sugar and seeds from vanilla bean until slightly thickened and airy. Add flour and beat. Add milk and beat. Pour egg mixture and empty vanilla beans into a cooking pot and over low heat slowly bring to a simmer while whisking continously. Allow to simmer for 2 minutes while whisking. Remove from heat and transfer into a dish, cover cake cream with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator to cool completely. Once cake cream is cooled, whip heavy whipping cream to a whipped cream and stir into cake cream. Continue to keep cool until ready to use.

Ingredients for Marcipanovertræk – Marzipan coating:

150 gram marzipan (5 1/2 oz.)

175 gram confectioners sugar (6 oz.)

50 gram glucose (1 3/4 oz.)

Directions:

Mix marzipan and glucose, adding confectioners sugar in increments. Mix until you have a smooth mixture. Sprinkle a generous amount of confectioners sugar onto your work surface and roll marzipan out to the height of the finished layered cake and the circumference of the cake, this is easily measured using a butcher’s twine or some other string. Make sure Marzipan does not stick to your work surface and trim edges with a sharp knife to get straight lines.

Ingredients for Kakaoglasur – Cocoa glaze:

200 gram confectioners sugar (7 oz.)

2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa

warm water

Directions:

Mix together confectioners sugar and cocoa. In very small increments add the warm water little by little until the consistency is thick but flowing easily. Set aside.

Assembling the cake:

Place the Macaroon cake layer (Makronbund) in the center of your serving dish. Place half of the Cake Cream (Lagkagecreme) on the Macaroon cake layer and spread to the edge. Place the first Cake layer (Lagkagebund) on top and spread a layer of strawberry jam (optional) and the remaining Cake Cream, leaving a couple of small spoonfuls as left-over. Place the second Cake layer on top of the cream. Using the left-over Cake Cream, apply a thin layer around the edges to give the Marzipan something to adhere to. Gently fold up the Marzipan strip and then un-fold it around the edge of the cake, pressing it lightly against the edge to make it stick. If you have not already done so, mix up your Cocoa Glaze (Kakaoglasur) and spread it out over the top of the Cake layer leading the glaze to the Marzipan edge. Whip up the last 6 oz of heavy whipping cream, place in a pastry bag fitted with a star tip (or whichever is your favorite shape) and decorate the edge between the Cocoa glaze and Marzipan to cover up any gaps. Keep cake refrigerated until serving. Enjoy!

Pathfinder
    World
    Sandycove
    Genuine German Black forest cake. Made by a German baker. Cherries soaked in kirsch wasser over night. Heavy cream whipped for icing. My wife spoils me. Had a cake for thanksgiving.

Original Serf
    World
    Newfoundland
    Christmas cake is the best yummy

Original Serf
    World
    Northisle
    Lardy cakes my Favorite and By Moonlight would love a slice

Glorious Graduate
    World
    Northisle
    leinad4999 is very good to me, he deserves a slice of New Yoik baked cheesecake

Pathfinder
    World
    Sandycove
    banana cake with chocolate icing for kiwi guild in sandycove

Original Serf
    World
    Northisle
    My Favourite is New York Cheesecake .. definitely the baked cheesecake is best .... My New Guild ANGELS definitely all deserve a slice. Every one is so helpful and friendly and always willing to lend a hand and help out.

World
    Sandycove
    chees cake.. cheese cake!!!

Original Serf
    World
    Northisle
    My favorite is Brownie with lots of chocholate bits and nuts, and naming one friend here is a challenge as all my guildies in PEGA are extremely helpfull both by buffing, sharing loot spots, and helping whenever one of us finds himself/herself in trouble.

Original Serf
    World
    Sandycove
    2 friends deserve some cake from our guild.
    I had a heart attack nearly two weeks ago and these guys have kept me sane - well I think so :-)
    Chocolate cake for Sofiay.
    Bacon, egg and sausage cake for beefuk.
    Yes I know - but they really should both have a big slice of nut cake ha ha ha
    Skippy

Reply to Thread