Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Cake Day Celebration

Pathfinder
    World
    Northisle
    Chocolate caramel cake with real butter icing... my entire guild deserves cake.. always supporting each other.

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Sandycove
    Coffee and Walnut cake, to all the peeps in help.
    When it comes to Gene pools and shallow ends they can be found at the bar drinking pina colada's

World
    Sandycove
    Date & Walnut for me & a slice for my friend Kaspiana please

Nifty
    World
    Newfoundland
    Sacher cake is the best hands down and Hawk2 and Freeeeeed are the ones that deserve stuffing their face with it!

World
    Northisle
    Can't beat a nice Lemon Drizzle, as who should get a slice ,it is simple at that is my fellow guildies. As we all support each other, be it a loot spot for a GQ or the odd buff. It is that team corporation which gives the pleasure of playing that little bit extra.

Fruitbat

Original Serf
    World
    Newfoundland
    Ilike my own sommercake , it's from own recipit, not to fat not to sweet but very gooooooood!

Pathfinder
    World
    Newfoundland
    Fresh baked Dutch Apple Tart, and Kit_ deserves a giant slice for reinvigorating THU since her return from sabbatical.

Nifty
    World
    Northisle
    Huge slices of banana and chocolate sponge cake for my whole guild for their team spirit and general helpfulness, extra huge slices to our leader and all the officers for their extra generosity helping out with resources, buffs, loot spots and everything really, and a whole cake to themselves to gorge on goes to whichever guildie introduced me to Pinky haha! (My memory is rubbish, sorry, but I think it was ChapterIX - feel free to correct me.) I'd also bake a few batches as cupcakes to hand out to all those players in chat/help/trade who are always happy to help out all other players. So I guess I'm baking for all of Northisle? :P

World
    Newfoundland
    I'd recommend a whole plate of Welsh Cakes...to be shared by anyone who doesn't try to cook me

Treasure Hunter
    World
    Sandycove
    I've made this cake for Christmas for the last 50 years, also birthday's & my son's wedding (3 layers, 3 sizes). I've never had a failure & everyone loves it.
    Sorry it is not decimal.

‘TIMES’ CHRISTMAS CAKE

10 oz plain flour
    1 level teaspoon mixed spice
    1 level teaspoon salt
    1/2 lb butter
    1/2 lb soft brown sugar
    4 eggs
    1 tablespoon black treacle
    Grated rind of 1 lemon
    1/2 lb sultanas
    1/2 lb currants
    1/2 lb raisins
    1/4 lb candied peel
    1/4 lb glacé cherries
    2 oz chopped blanched almonds
    2 tablespoons brandy, rum or sherry

Rinse the glacé cherries in warm water to remove sugary coating, dry (cool oven) and cut in half.

Sieve together flour, mixed spice and salt and set aside. Cream together the butter and sugar until soft and light. Lightly mix the eggs, treacle and lemon rind, then gradually beat into the creamed mixture a little at a time. Add some of the flour along with the last additions of egg etc. to prevent the mixture curdling.

Add cherries to mixed dried fruit and peel in large bowl. Mix 1-2 tablespoons of sieved flour into the dried fruit.

Fold the remaining flour into the creamed mixture, then combine with the mixed fruit. Finally add alcohol.

Spoon mixture into a greased and double lined 8" round cake tin and hollow out the centre alittle. Tie folded brown paper or newspaper around the outside of the tin. Place on pad of paper in oven, below centre, at 300º, Mark 2. Bake for 1 1/2 hours, then lower heat to 275º, Mark 1. Test cake with skewer in centre (warm first). It should come out with no uncooked mixture sticking to it.

Cool cake in tin for at least 24 hours. Turn out and remove paper. You can prick with skewer & pour over a little more brandy or sherry but I prefer not to. Wrap in foil or cling film to store.

Cover in marzipan: first warm a little jam or marmalade (about 2 tables spoons) with a little water & spread over the cake. A good tip is to roll the marzipan out to a size that covers the top & 2/3rds of the way down the side. Use a straight side tumbler as a vertical rolling pin to press the marzipan against the side all the way down to the base. Add royal icing, then decorate.

Reply to Thread