Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: My experience with expeditions

Keen Commentor
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by KharFahm View Post
    1) First of all, let me tell you that there has been a couple of improvement since 2014 for expeditions. Training units is generally cheaper and faster now, and the rewards from the conquest of colonies are somewhat higher.
    No offense, OP, but that's the ONLY info in your post that somewhat differs from what "everyone" has said since expeditions were introduced.

Personally I really dislike the whole idea of expeditions, and will never ever play a single one of them in it's current form. Wasting valuable resourses and building up an unnessary seperate army, just to waste a lot of time on stuff that barely has any reward at all. No thank you.

Pathfinder
    World
    Sandycove

Expeditions

Are there any basic instructions anywhere?
    How does one overcome the lack of troops allowed in an expedition? So far I always run out of troops
    Are expeditions worth playing at all?

Quartermaster
    World
    Newfoundland
    to answer your last and most important question, no.

Pathfinder
    World
    Newfoundland
    This is an update to my post a year ago. Since then, some features have been added which mean that expeditions are now something to seriously consider.

Since last year, two classes of geologists have been introduced which considerably improve the cost effectiveness of mining iron. These are the Iron-Willed Geologist which was offered during the Easter event and the Stone Cold Geologist which was introduced during the championship event. So now, the effort of finding and building iron mines is beginning to resemble those of mining copper, although I think coal is still going to be an issue in the production process.

One other improvement (which I believe many older players are not even aware of yet) is that the expedition castle now holds population, and in case you manage to reach the higher levels it can add up to 3000 to your population limit. So, it seems to me that maintaining a regular army and the expedition forces along-side each other is now a viable option, and doing expeditions can help your overall growth a lot more than it did before.

A problem that remains however, is the large number of timber and marble colonies that you find when doing an expedition search. As somebody on level 51, I would have loved to have a colony which gave me something towards gaining more of the rare material I need to grow.

World
    Newfoundland
    The two special geologists were much needed to higher levels, a good addition. Coal has the boost from Recyclers so it's not that bad.
    The additional population from the Expedition castle was also needed.
    "Few products escape the CHOAM touch... Logs, donkeys, horses, cows, lumber, dung, sharks, whale fur - the most prosaic and the most exotic... even our poor pundi rice from Caladan. Anything the Guild will transport, the art forms of Ecaz, the machines of Richese and Ix. But all fades before melange." — Duke Leto Atreides, Dune

Glorious Graduate
    World
    Northisle
    if the search you do doesnt give you anything you want .. discard it all .. and send another explorer to search again until you do get something worthwhile.

As for it not being profitable ....if you do it right ... its extremely lucrative - and can be more so than normal adventures .. add to that the recent population boost ... def worth even basically experimenting with. BUT a solid iron economy is essential to get very far in it.

Having said that ... once i hit the max level in 1 or 2 more colony attacks i will probably clear out most of the remaining troops and turn them into extra elite barracks troops so i can chain a few more MCC Ventures together in one go=.. but I will still dabble with it to keep one or 2 colonies running most of the time.

Reply to Thread