Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Maintenance scheduling. Again.

Original Serf
    World
    Northisle
    I'd say BB isn't in control, when they "suddenly" decide to have a maintanence and not give us more notice than this. They found a big problem and cover it up with this bad excuse.

Guide of the Month Ruler of the Land Nogbad's Avatar
    World
    Newfoundland
    Oh brilliant, just logged in at my nomal time and the game is down for "routine" maintenance.
    If it's routine then you must have known it was coming and could have given us at least 24 hrs notice, instead we only find out when the game is already down.
    We love our new CM.

Newfoundland: 20th November 2011 to 25th November 2014. RIP
    It was good while it lasted.

Dedicated Scribe
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeLido View Post
    More notice is required; the minimum being the amount of time of the longest generally used buff (steaks, 72 hrs).
    *cough*RAINBOWS*cough*FOUR DAYS*cough*

routine implies it was planned, or even scheduled, which means that it should have been perfectly possible to give a reasonable amount of notice, rather than dropping this on us so close to the event that some daily players (such as Nogbad) don't find out about it until after it has already started.

So, BB, either you're being less than honest about how routine this maintenance actually is or you're exhibiting a mindless indifference towards your customer base.

To be honest, I'm not sure which I think is worse.

World
    Sandycove
    This could be a new thread but I thought I'd put it here. At these times (which I'm sure there will be more of off and on) it would be nice if I could still "review" my kingdom. While I keep a variety of notes (like I'm sure most do) it would be tedious to always update every building and it's status, your inventory of all materials, troops counts (actual and queued), etc.

I wonder about if it would be possible to be able to somehow get a 'snap shot' of of your kingdom in an easy way - i.e. a download in CSV format or some such thing so you could at least review your current state as of your last time online. Not something interactive or any kind of an offline mode where you could actually queue anything but just a static summary of where you last stood.

i'm dreaming I suppose...
    Sorry, but I've slept since then...

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Newfoundland
    Fine by me that the server is sometimes down due to updates and maintenance, but if it is maintenance it cant come as a big surprise for BB. They should be aware of this plenty of time ahead of it.
    I am not sure when the announcement was put. I am pretty sure it was not there yesterday in the morning. It was there when I got home from work. It is not very long before closing the server down for 12 hours.
    I will agree that if you need to run a routine maintenance for 12 hours it must have been something you have know for way longer than 6- 8 hours before close down.
    I would say 24 hours before is not enough time either to warn of players. We live in different time zones and some log on before work some does not. To give all fair warning we need more time.
    People are often more understanding when you are honest with them.
    Last edited by Urd123; 01.03.17 at 09:44.
    If for some reason support feels the need to edit what I wrote, please delete entire post instead, dont put words into my mouth that I never said.

Ruler of the Land TheVictorious's Avatar
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorotheus View Post
    Having played games which did not carry out such maintenance's and having to endure a months downtime as a result, I will take any of these sorts of maintenance's at any time.
    Only junk games not do maintenance and got months downtime, and most awesome games do updates without any downtime, but the problem is the long time maintenance always a bad idea (as for example, first time I quit settlers online game in 2013, because of long maintenance so I found another game and stick with it for 3years before I back to settlers online), Also "routine check" take 13 hours is a big joke, BB can take a backup for database and take days without annoying players by working in the copy database (after all it is a check !) if they see they want to fix something they can schedule it for later!

in most modern systems there is no need to downtime, also even applying updates could be doable without any downtime, in the cluster systems specially, in so simplified procedure:

1. You find the most inactive time for players.
    2. Disconnect half of nodes of database servers, and half of nodes of application server (if you have 4 nodes you disconnect 2).
    3. You backup these disconnected nodes.
    4. You do update these disconnected nodes, and you test them.
    5. You do connect HTTP servers to those updated nodes and disconnect old one.
    6. You may need to update the database "data".
    7. You update those old nodes and connect them to HTTP servers.

For new database data between old and new databases transaction logs or with a script can do the job, or in worst case, with less headache, after you do that everything is OK in the new database structure, you do downtime for 1 hour maximum then:

After step 4 Return old backup of updated databases, and /or you persist the database that stayed connected node to the database servers that you tested, and then you do update to the all nodes together. then you continue to step 5 for application servers.

I was involved with staging many products and services with almost 0 downtime, and most of times downtime was = a critical issue.
    Any batching, testing, "routine check", fix issues, apply new updates was always 0 check.

Finally again, "routine check" downtime is a joke
    Last edited by TheVictorious; 01.03.17 at 08:13.
    Hello People

Skilled Student
    World
    Newfoundland
    i really do thing BB is not blame for the updates as they only pass the much needed information onto Ubisoft like bugs/feedback and so 4th ,, its down to Ubisoft to give a little more information to BB for when something like this occurs as to regards on downtime. don't forget Ubisoft are the developers of the game not bb.

ADDED

but all credit to BB they try and do a good job

Ruler of the Land TheVictorious's Avatar
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord6Smeg View Post
    i really do thing BB is not blame for the updates as they only pass the much needed information onto Ubisoft like bugs/feedback and so 4th ,, its down to Ubisoft to give a little more information to BB for when something like this occurs as to regards on downtime. don't forget Ubisoft are the developers of the game not bb.

ADDED

but all credit to BB they try and do a good job
    Development from BB side, Ubisoft is just a publisher for this game !!!
    Also, when Ubisoft do the maintenance (like network and login system) they mention that the maintenance is from Ubisoft side !

BB is who responsible for stage the game, study and apply suggestions/feedback, add new features, and fix bugs (in general called maintain the game).
    Last edited by TheVictorious; 01.03.17 at 09:39.
    Hello People

Skilled Student
    World
    Newfoundland
    thank you TheVictorious i allways thought it was ubi i stand corrected ,, yes bb should give its customers/players abit more time so they don't waste buffs and other things

Reply to Thread