Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: TSO now having mega lag problems with Firefox Linux

Skilled Student
    World
    Sandycove

TSO now having mega lag problems with Firefox Linux

PLEASE, TSO change technologies to HTML5, even Java, the latest release of Firefox (version 54) now has major lagging issues with Flash 26. After a few weeks with on the Mozilla team explaining about TSO and how it uses flash. I get the feeling they are "moving on" from flash. That only leaves Chrom(ium) and Opera.

The response from the Mozilla Bug team:

The probable cause of this is that we forced all Flash elements into windowless
    mode on Linux. This is a tradeoff we made to support multi-process browsing,
    and makes the browser faster in general but causes painting slowness for large
    Flash elements/games.

Given the declining state of Flash, Mozilla isn't going to dedicate a lot of
    engineering resources to this (P5). I'll leave this open in case somebody comes
    along and wants to do profiling and identify a problem we can fix.

I did ask if "windowless" can be disabled but sadly its hard coded into the browser.

Skilled Student
    World
    Northisle
    Those browsers might work for you, but for me they don't, even with this fix applied. The lagging is gone, but now it disconnect me from the game everytime

I prefer the mayor lag over the disconnecting...

Ruler of the Land TheVictorious's Avatar
    World
    Sandycove
    BB not going to make game HTML5, Java has blocked already, and more laggy as Applet.
    Hello People

Skilled Student
    World
    Sandycove
    Its such a shame. I guess TSO doesn't generate enough $$$ to make it worth while spending time and money developing it. I see there is a downloadable windows executable. I tried it in WINE and "Play on Linux" but sadly both just comes up with a white screen after installation. Hmm as MacOS is BSD based, i'm wondering if Mac is going the same way.

If Firefox (the most popular browser on Linux, is steadily dropping flashes functionality and affectively crippling flash, I can see other browsers squeezing flash out of existence.

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Newfoundland
    Try Pale Moon..
    25/11-14 , 23/02-16 .. The end is coming and it will look like this .

Jolly Advisor
    World
    Sandycove
    BB wont have any choice but to switch to HTML5 as even adobe have said they r getting rid of flash. No date has been set yet but flash player wont be getting anymore support and eventualy stopped all together. most likely in the next 12 months. Most browsers have started to block flash already. Chrome has blocked it in some games as has firefox. think palemoon is the only 1 that still runs flash without it being blocked. But even on that its crashing all the time.

Skilled Student
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by SmurfAsH View Post
    Try Pale Moon..

Tanks Pale Moon browser works a treat! Thanks

Skilled Student
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by cliff60 View Post
    BB wont have any choice but to switch to HTML5 as even adobe have said they r getting rid of flash. No date has been set yet but flash player wont be getting anymore support and eventualy stopped all together. most likely in the next 12 months. Most browsers have started to block flash already. Chrome has blocked it in some games as has firefox. think palemoon is the only 1 that still runs flash without it being blocked. But even on that its crashing all the time.
    Unless they have prepared, they will get a rude awakening. I haven't seen any browsers "Block" Flash yet, its just not included wit the installation. I think what will happen is, as with Firefox, flash will be allowed but "if it doesn't work, don;t come crying", therefore it isn't being unfairly treated its just the browser producers are not bothered with.

I see the TSO team have created their own browser (the "Download the game" (for Windows only)) but that's all it is, a Windows only mini-browser with the TSO as the home page, it still relies on the 3rd party Flash plugin produced by Adobe.

Jolly Advisor
    World
    Sandycove
    firefox blocked flash for a few weeks a year or 2 ago to force adobe to get rid of the spyware and malware in flash as well as the security issues.
    Travian sent out a msg about 2 months ago telling its chrome users to switch to a diff browser cause chrome had blocked flash. But they did give instructions on hope to unblock it but use at ur own risk.

Prob is most browser games use flash. So they all need to change to HTML5 not just BB.

1 game i used to play was run by some uni students. they switched from flash to HTML5 in a couple of weeks. When they switched the game was only offline for about 30 mins. prob was the graphics sufferd but the game ran a lot faster. If a team of 5 students can reprogram with very little resources or money behind them in 2 weeks im sure the bigger companies can do it as well.

Skilled Student
    World
    Sandycove
    It just goes to prove it cant be that hard. Unless there are problems with "inbuilt" obscure code into the flash coding of TSO or something. i was thining it was a major operation to transfer from Flash to HTML5.

What does Ubisoft think, Flash is going to here forever or are they just going to pull the plug as the browsers drop? Such a shame after all these years of playing.

Reply to Thread