Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Adobe has announced end-of-life for Flash

World
    Newfoundland
    BB have consistently said they will not move the game to HTML5 or anything else. This was the reason for developing the slim browser, so that the game could continue, using flash, if browsers decided to end supporting flash.

Jolly Advisor
    World
    Sandycove
    some browsers have already started to block flash. Chrome blocked some games last year that use flash. firefox blocked flash a couple of years ago due to security issues which forced flash to be updated to fix the probs before firefox unblocked it again. But u can garuntee as soon as the support for flash ends just about every browser will block flash. So it will be gone long before 2020. Its 2020 when adobe is going to remove flash from their system but support and updates for it will be before that. Every game and website that uses flash will have no choice but to switch to HTML5 or they wont have anyone able to get on their sites or games. Even steam wil have to change to HTML5 unless another company decides to take over flash. But HTML5 also has a problem cause that uses java which is also full of security issues. Another option is microsofts silverlight as that does the same job as flash and java combined. prob is that might get withdrawn as well. The end of flash has been on the cards for a few years now and experts have been advising developers to switch to HTML5 for about 4 years now.

Its not just BB who need to start work on a new system but all browser game developers or they might find their all out of work in the next 1 to 3 years. probably closer to 1 year than 3 though.

Community Manager
    World
    Newfoundland
    I think it's worth to clarify, again, that no browser has blocked Flash indefinitely; they merely ask for your permission now to run Flash-based content.

Ruler of the Land TheVictorious's Avatar
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by BB_Saqui View Post
    I think it's worth to clarify, again, that no browser has blocked Flash indefinitely; they merely ask for your permission now to run Flash-based content.
    This is about flash itself will not be supported anymore and will be killed by the owner, not browser issue! there will be no flash anymore at all after 2020.
    Hello People

World
    Sandycove
    This is about facebook flash games:

While games built in Flash will run on Facebook until the end of 2020, we strongly advise developers to follow the timelines set by browsers, as this may impact your decision to migrate sooner. The first milestone to target is summer of 2018 when Chrome introduces click-to-play for Flash-based content
    https://developers.facebook.com/blog...Web-Standards/

Who wrote this article is "Facebook partner engineering manager", they will provide migration guides, this could be helpful maybe?

Also, it seems browsers will block flash plugin after 2020, they will not allow it, even on your own choice!
    they will ask to keep flash and ask you to enable it until the end of 2020, they no more flash allowed.

http://fortune.com/2017/07/25/apple-...acebook-flash/

Another source from google: https://www.blog.google/products/chr...-flash-chrome/

BB please be open and just study it before you say NO!

You created awesome games, you are really good company, why you trying to reject the idea about getting fresh game you have backend, you need just to re-create flash part, the content and story all ready :/
    Last edited by TheVictorious; 26.07.17 at 19:51.
    Hello People

Enlightened Sage
    World
    Newfoundland
    Before this joint forces announcement happened there were some rumors and talk from people who attended WWDC in June that Apple will drop and block Flash permanently from their operating system in 2018 when next macOS upgrade is announced. Maybe they will still go as planned and remove it or maybe they extend the lifetime with others as there is now a fixed date. However it would probably still be possible to play with Chrome and it's built in Flash. I just know few Apple people that will not move on from Safari to Google products.

Even the simple https change from this week or the previous chrome throttling seems to be complicated for some people to setup. When we get to the point where people have to download special builds of browsers (mozilla announcement), daily click content warnings or dig in to even deeper browser flags the more people will quit.

I hope that if the current downloadable version is the future solution, it will be significantly improved.
    Last edited by Mannerheim; 26.07.17 at 20:04.

Skilled Student
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by BB_Saqui View Post
    Yes. But that is enough. The things people will need to do to make this game work is going to either be too much for some less tech savvy people or it will scare them (frankly, with reason). Those who know what they are doing aren't even going to bother trying the game. Why take the risk?

The fact that this concern keeps popping up in your player base should tell you how bad the image of flash has become. These people are already committed. Have you counted how often the question was asked in the AMA alone?

It's not the actual death of flash that is (will be) hurting this game, it is Flash's image. And, with respect, nothing BB can say will fix that.

Erudite Pioneer
    World
    Northisle
    Ok, I'm one of those less tech savvy people - can someone explain to me what's the problem, cause 2020 seems like a long time away. Is there an alternative BB could use (with enough time to prepare)?

World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by numa View Post
    Ok, I'm one of those less tech savvy people - can someone explain to me what's the problem, cause 2020 seems like a long time away. Is there an alternative BB could use (with enough time to prepare)?
    Usually, game development takes so long time so BB must plan from now for next step.
    And in 2018 browsers will start to jail flash with more restriction.
    Also, some points already said in previous comments you can revisit them.

Just tell me your feeling when you open a website and browser said this plugin is blocked and enabling it could be a risk for your security, or even just a suffering to "click to enable" each time or every hour to (like what is happening now with me in Firefox already).
    Hello People

Erudite Pioneer
    World
    Northisle
    Sure, I get that it's a problem, but don't you think that they have enough time to plan that step? I'd really like to hear some official info on that - BB, what do you say?

Reply to Thread