Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Adobe has announced end-of-life for Flash

Enlightened Sage
    World
    Newfoundland
    Even if most of the old users can adapt and follow the instructions to get the game working none of the new players most likely wont. If playing a new game requires messing with the advanced browser settings and/or which warns daily about the content being possibly a security risk they will just find another game. Player acquisition is very important in F2P games.

The downloadable version should however work beyond 2020 as it should be fully under BB control and works like any other regular desktop game.

I posted some thoughts in the test server version of this thread and BB_Alex commented:

"We do not have any plans to make a TSO 2 or port TSO to HTML5 or mobile. Both are not feasible.

But we will keep on developing the game."

Ruler of the Land TheVictorious's Avatar
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by Mannerheim View Post
    Even if most of the old users can adapt and follow the instructions to get the game working none of the new players most likely wont. If playing a new game requires messing with the advanced browser settings and/or which warns daily about the content being possibly a security risk they will just find another game. Player acquisition is very important in F2P games.

The downloadable version should however work beyond 2020 as it should be fully under BB control and works like any other regular desktop game.

I posted some thoughts in the test server version of this thread and BB_Alex commented:

"We do not have any plans to make a TSO 2 or port TSO to HTML5 or mobile. Both are not feasible.

But we will keep on developing the game."
    If they keep saying thins, I'm pretty sure TSO will be dead around 2020, for a chance of 100%.

I saw another companies said that clearly, but if this happened for BB, it will be shame on them, they really big company, found many online games, they even created The Settlers PC games, so I can't believe why they so hard to understand the problem here.

They keep saying no, without any explanation, they said it is just costly and there will be no new content and so on, but as a larger scope company doing a lot of new games, nothing make any sense. many competitors passing TSO with race and they just stay in 1 single word.
    Hello People

Jolly Advisor
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVictorious View Post
    If they keep saying thins, I'm pretty sure TSO will be dead around 2020, for a chance of 100%.

They keep saying no, without any explanation, they said it is just costly and there will be no new content and so on, but as a larger scope company doing a lot of new games, nothing make any sense. many competitors passing TSO with race and they just stay in 1 single word.
    No to what? BB never said they were going to stop making new content.

1.After 2020 you can still play this game using the slim browser.
    2. Recreating TSO in HTML5/webGL will be almost as expensive as creating a completely new game. (Not worth it)

What more explanation do you need?
    There is no problem.

Only the influx of new players will go down hard after 2020.

Ruler of the Land TheVictorious's Avatar
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by Budgy View Post
    No to what? BB never said they were going to stop making new content.

1.After 2020 you can still play this game using the slim browser.
    2. Recreating TSO in HTML5/webGL will be almost as expensive as creating a completely new game. (Not worth it)

What more explanation do you need?
    There is no problem.

Only the influx of new players will go down hard after 2020.
    * Slim browser is a flash container, not sure if they use edge or not as a container, but if flash got blocked by windows you have nothing to do with this, (not much details but 100% is running flash inside container, not played with it so much because it was unplayable game using it for me).
    * Also, flash dead means no more flash can be installed, and if installed it will be only the old versions that you can run, if hackers found (and they will) bugs and backdoors with flash, you will be doomed, you really need to understand this is not issue with browser will not support flash, it is about flash itself will become unwanted program, even anti viruses might block it.
    * Finally slim browsers already got issues, a lot of issues, I can't really say it will be helpful.

About point 2, if this true, then this is why TSO will be dead, I still believe BB can get something useful from their big code base.
    Hello People

World
    Sandycove
    TSO will live forever

Erudite Pioneer
    World
    Sandycove
    Get with the project, guys. The game is clearly drawing to an end and it's as plain as day.

If it *can* continue then that's a technical matter, but taking a lot of people's money to use on a platform that will inevitably become less and less secure with zero support from its creators is an absolute non-starter for a fairly major game maker like Ubisoft. This is central.

They're trying with new content as I imagine it's a tidy little earner on a small scale (and maybe I'm underestimating as I've spent maybe £100 on it myself even, which is rare for me) but the recent additions to the game haven't helped a lot and the game seems clearly to me in a slow wind down. Players are drifting away, and chat and TO are so quiet compared to other times in the past.

I'd love to be wrong as it's a fun waste of time, but post-Flash there is no TSO as they've said clearly they aren't developing for that.

Erudite Pioneer
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by Thejollyone View Post
    TSO will live forever
    In our hearts and memories, and in the stress lines on our faces from when things went wrong so often.

Jolly Advisor
    World
    Northisle
    I thought slim browser was an actual browser with flash build in, like chrome. But from the FAQ I see that you need adobe or chrome flash to make it work.
    So if they don't make changes to slim browser TSO ends in 2020-2021.

Unfortunately my 2nd point is still valid.

If they do build flash into slim browser it is completely safe, as long as you ONLY go to this game with that browser. And windows can't stop you van from using slim browser.

Enlightened Sage
    World
    Newfoundland
    Don't forget that the game also needs new players and without them it can very well end before 2020, or if not end then at least further content development will halt and possibly server merges will begin to reduces the costs. I personally don't think the old userbase is very profitable as most people have been here for ages and have already gained or are about to get their gem pits.

Browser vendors have already assigned Flash limitations and will be doing more so in the following months and years so the easy to get it and play route for the game is already/soon gone. The slim version is essentially the same version as the Steam version. Go check the review score in general (only 35% positive reviews) or check the top most useful reviews. The standalone version is pretty terrible in its current form.

Also don't forget that Ubisoft is known for axing their declining F2P games and have already closed or stopped developing several in the past years, to name few of the latest ones: Anno Online, Panzer Generals Online or Might & Magic Duel of Champions...

Pathfinder
    World
    Northisle
    Hi,
    I read the whole topic and I have to write a few words about this:

1)
    I think it's worth to clarify, again, that no browser has blocked Flash indefinitely; they merely ask for your permission now to run Flash-based content
    It is true but after 2020 will be flash permanently removed from Chrome (source: https://blog.chromium.org/2017/07/so...all-flash.html) and from Firefox (source: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/...admap#Schedule)

2) TSO slim browser is built on chromium technology (if I'm not wrong) and as well flash support in Chrome will be removed after 2020 (source: https://blog.chromium.org/2017/07/so...all-flash.html). There are a few potential ways how to keep flash support but when keep flash support in TSO slim browser will be probably security risk

3) If will be TSO slim browser only way how to play this game, it would be fine to add support for Mac and Linux

Conclusion:

There is really needed any response from someone from TSO team/BB team

Reply to Thread