Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Adobe has announced end-of-life for Flash

Community Manager
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by TermoNuclear View Post
    Are there plans to move the game to another technoogy, like HTML5, Unity or something else?
    Flash has an expire date set and will no longer be supported by browser in the future.
    I dont believe people will use the stand alone client and install a dead technology filled with security issues, just to play this game.

My suggestion is to use a technology that supports both pc and smatphones.

Merged
    Currently, we have no plans to convert the game to HTML5, etc. We will continue to support the game in the future; we have plenty of content to surprise you with over the next several years.

We do not currently support playing The Settlers Online on mobiles. For the best experience, you will need to use a PC or laptop.

Acadma

Town Councillor
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by BB_Acadma View Post
    Currently, we have no plans to convert the game to HTML5, etc. We will continue to support the game in the future; we have plenty of content to surprise you with over the next several years.

We do not currently support playing The Settlers Online on mobiles. For the best experience, you will need to use a PC or laptop.

Acadma
    Good to hear that the game has several more years of life ahead cause I like the game.

Erudite Pioneer
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by Norton_C View Post
    Good to hear that the game has several more years of life ahead cause I like the game.
    It has if you can find a browser to run it. Only a matter of time before Flash is dropped to leave you with BB's client, which isn't working on any of my computers.

Keen Commentor
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by BB_Acadma View Post

Acadma
    Game works fine on mobiles, except windows mobile (since Flash was dropped b4 it). But Flash for PC deteriorated rather quickly. I don't use PPAPI version(Chrome), but I noticed lots of complaints. NPAPI (FF/PM) started using way too many memory (over 1gig), and has problem with loading, sometimes it takes several attempts to load a zone. First loading usually takes all of the RAMs and clogs the PC. ActiveX (IE/Edge) works smoothly (for now), but not many people use it since Google's mud slinging campaign. As for slim browser, I consider it a security risk and it crashed my system more than once. I never liked Adobe, but I hope they'll fix the Flash to the way it was, because I really like this game.

Keen Commentor
    World
    Sandycove
    TSO seems to play well on mobiles using the Puffin browser. I believe it supports flash

World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheddoe View Post
    TSO seems to play well on mobiles using the Puffin browser. I believe it supports flash
    Watch your data usage though. In my experience the usage nearly doubled. I concluded that the data want from TSO to Puffin to be resolved and then to your phone causing you to use data for both. That's only a theory based on observation though.
    Sorry, but I've slept since then...

Enlightened Sage
    World
    Newfoundland
    Puffin browser is a cloud browser which is why Flash works with it using any device. Essentially it means the game is not actually running on your phone but on a remote computer running several browser instances for multiple users. It just streams the game view to you as a mixed video/data stream and can lead into higher data usage like Xibor said.

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Sandycove
    Even Puffin will be dropping Flash support in 2020
    When it comes to Gene pools and shallow ends they can be found at the bar drinking pina colada's

Keen Commentor
    World
    Sandycove
    That is actually not true. In order to work, browser must use local Flash, and Puffin uses old version of Flash, from before Adobe dropped Flash for phones. That is reason why Puffin doesn't work on Windows phones, since Flash was dropped before WP. As I use WP, only way to do it is via some remote desktop. I use Team Viewer. After 2020 Flash will work as well (or as bad) as it does now, but it will not get update, support and download will be removed. We will be able to use Flash same way that Puffin uses obsolete Flash now. But since Flash is getting worse with every version, I wonder if it will work at all at the end.

Jolly Advisor
    World
    Sandycove
    Even HTML5 is on its way out as is JAVA.
    Webassemply is replacing all of them.
    Firefox, Chrome and Edge have already switched to webassembly. its not a plugin like flash and JAVA its programmed into the browser itself and uses JAVA as its base programing as webassembly and JAVA r merging.

Windows and mac will also do an update to remove flash from every system before the end of 2020. so Flash could be gone within a year as most browsers no longer support flash and that includes slim browser as thats just a version of chrome with a lot les security on it to make it faster.

So once flash has been removed no website that still uses flash will be running as no one will be able to get on those sites no matter what browser u use.
    So BB has 2 choices. convert to webassembly or close down the game.

Windows and mac r adopting webassembly as well to replace flash and HTML5.

Reply to Thread