Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Adobe has announced end-of-life for Flash

Jolly Advisor
    World
    Sandycove
    some browser games have switched to webassembly so they no longer need flash. chrome edge and firefox have webassembly built into them now and r already advcing pl to stop using flash. problem is webassembly is not user freindly like flash as u have to know where to find it in the browsers coding so u can edit the coding to get it to work with games. but u also need to know what lines to put in so u will need the info from the game as well to write the program lines for each and every game u play as each game will need a diff programining line for it. But that might change once they have got it out of beta phase. it uses java rather than flash to play games. so browsers have also changed the way java works in the browsers. but its also causing problems with flash as its not compatable with flash. so the browsers that have already started using webassembly will be having compatability issues with flash based games.
    Ive already been blocked from playing several browser games cause browsers no longer support the version of flash the games use.

The only browser i have that will let me into this game now is palemoon. edge firefox and chrome wont let me login anymore due to the flash being needed for this game instead of webassembly.
    Even HTML5 wont be an option as webassembly seems to be taking over from flash now.

Firefox started using webassembly from version 52. their now on version 56. Since 52 ive had nothing but trouble trying to play flash based games.
    As older versions of firefox use older versions of flash thats not really an option either as games need the latest version of flash to run properly.

Maybe BB r going to switch to webassembly as it seems the best option and the easiest to switch too as its java based.

Quartermaster
    World
    Sandycove
    2020 haha have you seen the chat, game will be dead by 2018

Quartermaster
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by cliff60 View Post
    edge firefox and chrome wont let me login anymore due to the flash being needed for this game instead of webassembly.
    Pretty sure you only have to allow it to run and it will work.

Ruler of the Land TheVictorious's Avatar
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by Salem_Warrior_1 View Post
    2020 haha have you seen the chat, game will be dead by 2018
    indeed, yesterday as for example server was totally dead, barely was someone response to me.
    Hello People

Nifty
    World
    Sandycove

Flash support ending in 2020

The recent update to Chrome 69 drove home the message, that Adobe will end flash support at the end of 2020 and so will all major browsers. Is someone at BlueByte able and willing to tell us whether there they are/will be working on a transition of Settlers Online to another platform?

World
    Newfoundland
    Leader of The Hell Unleashed [THU] on Newfoundland
    Addicted to Settlers, coffee and chocolate, in that order

Nifty
    World
    Sandycove
    Thank you, Kit_ - must have overlooked it when I typed flash into search.
    So, to summarize 5 pages of discussion: BB will not do anything and the game is dead by the end of 2020 unless we all switch to the Windows-based slim browser to extend the agony a little (the slim browser being based on chromium which will not support flash any longer, it will become obsolete or a security risk quickly).

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by Wuselwirbel View Post
    Thank you, Kit_ - must have overlooked it when I typed flash into search.
    So, to summarize 5 pages of discussion: BB will not do anything and the game is dead by the end of 2020 unless we all switch to the Windows-based slim browser to extend the agony a little (the slim browser being based on chromium which will not support flash any longer, it will become obsolete or a security risk quickly).
    Do you know if the slim browser gets updated ?
    When it comes to Gene pools and shallow ends they can be found at the bar drinking pina colada's

Enlightened Sage
    World
    Newfoundland
    Slim browser is literally a browser which still uses the same Flash plugin tech so it won't be the replacement in current form. BB could still make a self contained/stand alone build of the game using a bundled/compiled Flash as they do not have to be worried about Flash security issues due the nature of their use of it.

Note the 2020 is the EOL for Flash by Adobe but the browser vendors may/will be dropping and moving the support way ahead of that date the less Flash use is detected in general. This means Flash users will eventually need to use old or special builds of browsers, use completely different browser or enable Flash from advanced/hidden settings as the click to activate type features will be removed.

World
    Sandycove

Question Flash will die 2020, so....

Are there plans to move the game to another technoogy, like HTML5, Unity or something else?
    Flash has an expire date set and will no longer be supported by browser in the future.
    I dont believe people will use the stand alone client and install a dead technology filled with security issues, just to play this game.

My suggestion is to use a technology that supports both pc and smatphones.

Merged
    Last edited by MOD_Daz; 08.10.18 at 10:05.

Reply to Thread