Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Vargus skills

Erudite Pioneer
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by BrownGuy View Post

this is my vargus , Bounty Hunter not bad , gaining 69-71 star coins per YWC and 30ish from FT adventures

http://prntscr.com/gc2e85
    Thanks for your input, but I'm really more interested in fighting skills than star coins or navigation. So, back to my original question: Unstoppable Charge: y/n, Battle Frenzy: y/n and Weekly Maintenance: y/n?

Battle Hardened Contributor
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by BrownGuy View Post
    i am level 65, not drowning in anything , spend them all on arrows and catapults
    With the timer on those I am unable to spend my star coins fast enough to run out

World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by numa View Post
    Yup, and with Unstoppable charge they do 103 damage, right?
    Yes, but it is useless almost always. The reason is simple, your opponents have 100, 50, 80, 70 200 HP and so on most of the times. Yes it splashes over but you need many MM to gain any meaningful extra dmg out of it, damage enough to actually affect combats.
    With 180 MM you gain 180 * 3 dmg. Not to be sniffed at, but then invariably you end up not using him for attacks with huge amounts of MM anyway. Better off spending the books in XP boost. I kinda regret not doing that now on MG. Anslem had no good synergies I felt so did the +30% XP and man does it ever make a difference.

Keen Commentor
    World
    Northisle
    My skills for Vargus: Planner-1, Annex-3, Charge-3, Frenzy-3, Overrun-3, Navi-2, FirstAid-3, Jog-3.
    I went easy on Navigation (+2 on all main gens), because in most adv. it's the slow gens that stop me at the beginning (blocks), as I only have 1 MoD (and sometimes MoD can't be used anyway). Charge-3 for Vargus is a very nice skill, but only in regular adventures (we don't have splashing regular units), it has close to no impact in 1001 Nights, I did tons of simulations (re-writting my guides), so I knew it would be like that
    Never considered extra XP (levelling up is for me by-product of playing the game, not a goal in itself), or starcoins/1-up (highest tier skills, when you can pay with gc for gifted RoA/Assassin and buy medipacks too).

World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowBlizz View Post
    Yes, but it is useless almost always. The reason is simple, your opponents have 100, 50, 80, 70 200 HP and so on most of the times. Yes it splashes over but you need many MM to gain any meaningful extra dmg out of it, damage enough to actually affect combats.
    With 180 MM you gain 180 * 3 dmg. Not to be sniffed at, but then invariably you end up not using him for attacks with huge amounts of MM anyway.
    It also adds splash damage to knights, and you sometimes use a combination of MSW, knights and besiegers.

Considering that usually you will have around 100 of them in the group and there is a good chance they will attack the weaker, first strike units, the damage increase from splash might be something like 1-2k of total damage in the first turn.

Obviously this is a potential gain and I didnt bother doing simulations for every single camp in alis to prove that, but still its something majority of people overlook.

Extra XP should be the go-to skill, Charge and Frenzy probably tied second (I feel like neither will give you a noticeable bonus, instead a small gain that will add up over time).

World
    Newfoundland
    Agree with Kris3457 - Unstoppable charge makes very little difference in the 1001 knight adventures, have skilled my Vargus with Rapid Fire-2 (to save on tomes), 1st Aid-3, Jog-3, Overrun-3, Battle Frenzy-3, Fast learner-3, Garrison Annex-3 and Master Planner - I am producing my own guides and have found this combo gives a significant reduction in Mounted Swordsmen losses in the 1001 adventures compared to skilling with Charge. For me Fast Learner is the absolute must have.

World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkz View Post
    It also adds splash damage to knights, and you sometimes use a combination of MSW, knights and besiegers.
    That's mostly on Anslem and Major though.

Vargus is mainly used with MM against stuff that would Flank on Ans or MG.
    Turns out there's few camps for Vargus and you don't use Knights on those. Besides Knights can't flank and thus will hti Defenders who generally have laods of HP so the dmg boost is neglibeable. I put Charge on Nusala for a very few cav/knight suicides on some bigger Ali Bs and such. But second MG will be specced for starcoins and he'll definitely get +XP.

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Sandycove
    look at what attacks your using Vargus on and select which skills have the best effect in those situations. There is no best set up which suits all the attacks you use a general on.
    When it comes to Gene pools and shallow ends they can be found at the bar drinking pina colada's

Erudite Pioneer
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorotheus View Post
    look at what attacks your using Vargus on and select which skills have the best effect in those situations. There is no best set up which suits all the attacks you use a general on.
    Of course, I'm aware of that, I just wanted to hear other people's opinions, especially those of people who make guides and do simulations - I thought that an input like that could be useful for me.

World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by numa View Post
    Thanks for your input, but I'm really more interested in fighting skills than star coins or navigation. So, back to my original question: Unstoppable Charge: y/n, Battle Frenzy: y/n and Weekly Maintenance: y/n?
    UC y, BF y, WM n

http://prnt.sc/gcaegv
    Last edited by Amazony; 23.08.17 at 23:40.

Reply to Thread