Reply to Thread

Thread: Codecs die when Firefox is running Flash

Skilled Student
    World
    Sandycove

Codecs die when Firefox is running Flash

TSO is causing my codecs to die. If I have my island loaded (flash active), my locally installed codecs fail. This includes youtube, MP3 files, video Files. As soon as i come out of my island they all work again.

Tried Ubuntu, Fedora, Manjaro and Centos. All fresh installes with no additional apps.

All installations checked and updated accordingly.

Tried with CNN and other flash plugin test sites showing flash animation with no problems so pin pointed to TSO.

Bug with Flash implementation?

Skilled Student
    World
    Sandycove
    Resolved: Fedora's latest update today has fixed the problem. TSO working with youtube, local and remote media all ok.

Skilled Student
    World
    Sandycove
    Actually not resolved... Seems to be Firefox web browser and Flash the problem again!

The sooner Flash dies the better IMHO!

Chromium and pepper-flash (Chromium flash) work fine.

Jolly Advisor
    World
    Sandycove
    think it has to do with firefox. they added webassembly and changed the way java works to fit with webassembly from version 52 onwards. so most likely causing probs with flash as well. As more and more sites r dropping flash in favour of webassembly flash is having probs with some sites now. As far as i can see webassembly is still in the exerimental stage and not working right with a lot of sites. plus u need to know how to do programing to set it up right. but it replacing flash on a lot of games already.

Skilled Student
    World
    Sandycove
    I've pinpointed the problem to TSO. Been on Ubuntu, Fedora and CentOS forums, swapping between the distros using Firefox 52 and Firefox ESR. Using TSO compaired with;

[Link removed] (Monoface)
    [Link removed]

Those sites don't affect video playback - confused.

Please do not post external links on the forum
    Last edited by MOD_Daz; 19.09.17 at 07:16.

Skilled Student
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by cliff60 View Post
    think it has to do with firefox. they added webassembly and changed the way java works to fit with webassembly from version 52 onwards. so most likely causing probs with flash as well. As more and more sites r dropping flash in favour of webassembly flash is having probs with some sites now. As far as i can see webassembly is still in the exerimental stage and not working right with a lot of sites. plus u need to know how to do programing to set it up right. but it replacing flash on a lot of games already.
    That's so crazy. Mind blowingly stupid, I thought HTML 5 (Open Source) was meant to be the answer to...... Ahhhh hold on Webassembly is a closed source crafted and promoted by the usual Tech giants... I can see where this is going.... More regulation and less freedom of the internet is obviously a good thing...

Forum Explorer
    World
    Northisle
    Probably a Firefox-Flash problem on linux OS - since recent update ( not sure if it started after flash or firefox update ) I can run TSO on Firefox and Chrome at same time ( different servers ). Firefox session will block sound to chrome session ( when stopping Firefox session all queued sounds from Chrome session come ). Dont know if it is a TSO or Flash problem - but often when system is running ok I get short freezes when I do something and another action makes a sound.

Skilled Student
    World
    Sandycove
    Hi halv12.

Yes I concluded it is a Flash issue tried on many Linux distros (fedora, ubuntu, arch) all exhibit the same problem. The only other non-linux free OS that is unaffected I tried was GhostBSD. Although installing Flash on it was a bit of a job and if you don't mind a rough-and ready desktop its worth a crack and everything worked as it should even on Flash 27. If you want to stay with Linux you will need to downgrade flash 27 to flash version 26 or just swap out the ".so" file in the Firefox extensions folder as I did. My issue has now gone, it seems flash 27 is hogging all the multimedia stack. I have entered an entry on the bug tracker on the adobe website, we'll see what happens.
    Last edited by Ammy75; 23.09.17 at 07:40.

Forum Explorer
    World
    Northisle
    Noticed another issue - related to firefox/flash on windows10 - has been there since last firefox/flash update. I use laptop with external HDMI monitor - and use monitors speakers - but now TSO/firefox (flash) use speakers in laptop - TSO/chrome use monitors speakers as intended.

Can this be part of the problem - https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...io-video-games
    Last edited by halv12; 01.10.17 at 06:45.

Reply to Thread