Reply to Thread

Thread: Android Phones

World
    Sandycove

Android Phones

Has anyone gotten Settlers to work on an Android phone? I recently got an S8 and I'd like to be able to on occasion log in with it and it least do some basics.

Apparently the Dolphin browser for Android can handle flash but it doesn't seem to work even though I managed to find an Android compatible Flash driver from the Adobe archives. All I get is Settlers telling me I don't have the latest version of Flash.

Diwata tried Puffin a couple years ago but while it did work we found that it effectively sent the data to their site and rendered it into HTML5 and sent it back which doubled her data usage and that was not a good answer for us.

If anyone has gotten around this 'argument' between Adobe Flash and Android I'd love to know how.

Cheers!
    Sorry, but I've slept since then...

Ruler of the Land TheVictorious's Avatar
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by Xibor View Post
    Diwata tried Puffin a couple years ago but while it did work we found that it effectively sent the data to their site and rendered it into HTML5 and sent it back which doubled her data usage and that was not a good answer for us.
    Well, I tried before but failed, the one in Adobe archives is outdated badly, also it will be risky anyway.

Interesting part, how 3rd party can convert this game to HTML5 version while BB can't do really funny if this is true
    Hello People

Brotherjon
    Used to have an android phone and played settlers through puffin, but data usage is a big issue as you say do had to limit myself to a few short logins per day.

Original Serf
    World
    Sandycove
    Puffin on android works for me and has done for the last year or so. Use theatre mode in the options menu so you can scroll around your island. I didn't need to install any flash or anything from anywhere else - puffin has a version of flash built into it as far as i know.

Data usage can be heavy if you aren't on wifi but it does have a data saving feature you can enable. I've used it with no problems on oneplus2 and oneplus5 phones, and lenovo tablet.

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Sandycove
    Phones have one additional problem lack of screen size, even though I'm a big supporter of playing the game using Puffin on a 10" tablet all day long. With a phone and I have tried several Samsung models I would not suggest doing anything more than just the basics.
    When it comes to Gene pools and shallow ends they can be found at the bar drinking pina colada's

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVictorious View Post
    Well, I tried before but failed, the one in Adobe archives is outdated badly, also it will be risky anyway.

Interesting part, how 3rd party can convert this game to HTML5 version while BB can't do really funny if this is true
    Converting the front end to HTML5 on the fly as Puffin does is one thing, Converting the engine to HTML5 as players have asked for, is something a whole order of complexity different. It as different as painting your Ka Ferrari red, fitting a Ferrari engine under the Ka's bonnet ain't going to happen.
    When it comes to Gene pools and shallow ends they can be found at the bar drinking pina colada's

Ruler of the Land TheVictorious's Avatar
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorotheus View Post
    Converting the front end to HTML5 on the fly as Puffin does is one thing, Converting the engine to HTML5 as players have asked for, is something a whole order of complexity different. It as different as painting your Ka Ferrari red, fitting a Ferrari engine under the Ka's bonnet ain't going to happen.
    I know, just saying that I believe it could be possible to have tools do it.
    Hello People

Enlightened Sage
    World
    Newfoundland
    There is no HTML5 or Flash involved. Puffin and most other cloud browsers just run the flash content on their server farms in a sandbox mode and then stream the content as compressed delta images to the phone or a tablet. Since the whole usage process is just streaming content as a "video" and sending gestures back to the server the data and bandwidth usage is higher but at the same time it allows almost any type of device to use pretty much any site.

Skilled Student
    World
    Northisle
    Pale Moon maybe?

Reply to Thread