Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Reasoning and actual players.

World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Mannerheim View Post
    French and Polish servers for example are not bound to PEGI 7 in the chat or at least had less restrictions.
    Cant speak for french, but polish has severe restrictions and endless complaints about moderators keeping the chat tidy kindergarten style.

Town Councillor
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by vigabrand View Post
    idm pegi7, i do have reservations about an english chat room being moderated by volunteers who's native language is not english. I have got on the wrong side of mods more than once for a misunderstanding. what english ppl know is humour can easily be mistaken by other europeans as something else. innocent english expressions can also have the same result. i once got into bother for NOT recruiting in g1.

However, after spending (too) many hours in chat rooms on other games and suffering what can only be described as disgusting behaviour, I welcome the mods and pegi7
    Very true that thing about native (or at least Proficiency level) language. Every job requires certain level of skills. If somebody is not good at English, they are not qualified for this sort of "editing" job.

Enlightened Sage
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkz View Post
    Cant speak for french, but polish has severe restrictions and endless complaints about moderators keeping the chat tidy kindergarten style.
    Are all links allowed or have the rules changed in general? long time ago, back when the Polish servers were also the first ones to act as guinea pigs for patches I and few others used to visit there to get first hand info about patch changes and trade trends related to them and chat seemed to a lot more relaxed vs ours.

Skilled Student
    World
    Newfoundland
    PEGI is just bureaucratic system.

Architect of the Empire
    World
    Northisle
    hi Norton, dont get me wrong, all of the mods english is excellent, but they do misunderstand things sometimes, e.g. "dont get me wrong" and they dont always understand english humour, the same as i definitely do not understand european humour.

After reading Squirrels comment I am further reminded that we have young players here and I think having the rooms moderated "kindergarten" style is a price worth paying to prevent the chat rooms becoming horrible places for our children to visit. we still have whisper and guild for earthier subjects.

Quick note to mods: please don't misunderstand my comments. I think you all do a great job and giving up your own time to do it on a regular basis is amazing
    Last edited by vigabrand; 08.10.17 at 07:32.

Architect of the Empire
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorefield View Post
    PEGI is just bureaucratic system.
    i don't agree. this is from memory not google so please forgive any mistakes and lack of dates...

i think in the late 90's when games started to become more realistic and violent plus lots of gore g'ments decided it was time to start rating games as they do with films. the industry was very much against this and said they could moderate it themselves. g'ments surprisingly stepped back and allowed this to happen. now we have pegi designed by the games industry itself and not some stuffy bureaucrats who know nothing about games or the ppl who play them.

Erudite Pioneer
    World
    Sandycove
    early on my kids did play and to be frank if not for the moderators and pegi rules my kids would of missed out on the interaction with others, they spent ages chatting with others many of simerla ages to themselves and i was thankful i could do things around house like cooking dinner without the need to ensure convo was suitable to there ages as the mods saw to it the the pegi7 was kept to. As others have said guild and whisper arent pegi7, so keep the global channels friendly for all you've other spaces for less child friendly conversations.

World
    Newfoundland
    There are plenty of other games that are also rated PEGI 7 that do not have moderated chat, but the chat channels are very toxic. Do you really want that here as well?
    If at first you don't succeed, sky-diving is not for you.

Community Manager
    World
    Newfoundland
    While I understand your assumption, I can tell you that we have quite an active young audience; many who play with their parents and siblings. We believe at the core concept that The Settlers Online should be a family-friendly game, and so we stand by the PEGI-7 guidelines & rules. We have no intention of changing this.

Due to this, our public channels will continue to be moderated with this in mind e.g. global, trade and the forums. If you would like to have more adult-oriented discussions, please do so within the confines of a private channel such as your guild chat (but make sure you adhere to your guild rules) or PMs.

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by BB_Saqui View Post
    While I understand your assumption, I can tell you that we have quite an active young audience; many who play with their parents and siblings. We believe at the core concept that The Settlers Online should be a family-friendly game, and so we stand by the PEGI-7 guidelines & rules. We have no intention of changing this.

Due to this, our public channels will continue to be moderated with this in mind e.g. global, trade and the forums. If you would like to have more adult-oriented discussions, please do so within the confines of a private channel such as your guild chat (but make sure you adhere to your guild rules) or PMs.
    Well, the english profanity filter is active in guild chat as well, so..
    No, it's not just keep "more adult-oriented discussions" there.
    Actually, the issue is bigger than that.
    In non-english guilds you'll get censored just because a harmless native word spells like an english non-pegi7 word.
    25/11-14 , 23/02-16 .. The end is coming and it will look like this .

Reply to Thread