View Poll Results: Would you like your island production to be stopped during regular maintenance?

Voters
838. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I want all of the activities on my home island to be stopped during regular maintenances

94 11.22%
  • No, I want my home island to remain active during regular maintenances

744 88.78%
Closed Thread
Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Survey: Stopping The Home Island Production

Pathfinder
    World
    Northisle
    From what I'm reading on here the only time people would say yes is due to buff's expiring and mines depleting. So why not have 2 global options
    1st ) Stop production when buff expires
    2nd) Stop production before exhaustion
    Both options (settings) would be in effect at all times

World
    Northisle
    The reasons people seem to point for saying yes seem wierd to say the least... maintenance is usually annouced 1 week ahead... more then enough time to plan.

A good option though might be sending a in-game mail 1 or 2 days before the maintenance starts to remind people that don't see the main page. Simple but more then suficient.

Pathfinder
    World
    Sandycove
    No

Glorious Graduate
    World
    Newfoundland
    NO dumb idea, whats the reasoning behind this idea please explain?

Original Serf
    World
    Sandycove
    No

Erudite Pioneer
    World
    Newfoundland
    please don't

World
    Northisle
    Voted NO- keep the island running.
    In addition to the front page news , maybe a " mail/announcement " sent in game , informing the players , that a maintenance is scheduled in the next 24h , giving everyone a chance to plan accordingly ?
    Then, it's up to the individual players to stop or keep running mines , buildings (industry) during these times. A stop button is available on every building and to everyone ,regardless of player level. ( if you do not want your fields to run out , stop your farms, etc). Yes , it's not ideal , but at least, it is a choice.

I think the problems and complaints , arise, when there are unscheduled maintenances ( hot fixes, etc), which often run in addition to the normal maintenance and we do not have the chance to plan ahead and log into the game .
    lol very annoying when you are in a different time zone and due to maintenances + unscheduled maintenance + RL , you are not able to log in for 24- 36 h , and BB recompense if any , is inadequate , but it's just a game, after all.

Pathfinder
    World
    Newfoundland
    No.

Architect of the Empire
    World
    Sandycove
    The source of this idea seems fairly straightforward; for years players have been freaking out (in various levels of civility) when Maint runs over or comes suddenly, about things running unbuffed, running out and crashing, running on and using rare/expensive resources. Demands for compensation, piles of "!!!!!!!" and have been frequent, both in the forum and on Facebook, along with more than a few comments comparing BB staff (also known as humans) unfavourably to .... things better not repeated. Why *now*, I can't guess, why *now* for the addition of some other basic conveniences could also be asked, but why this should come up At All seems pretty clear.

Why anyone would want this also seems clear; while personally I have reached a stage where my biggest reaction to noticing I've left my Lv6 Powderhut* running unbuffed for two days is no more than "Dangit. *click*" I still remember clearly sharing the costs of a Lv3 Goldmine** with a friend, and we babysat the heck out of that thing. I remember counting Every Single Pumpkin from the Cemeteries for Halloween. I can see the perks to this idea, both for players and for Backstage.

No *ALERT* will ever be perfect, but people who have noted the communication difficulties, and the problems with 'Surprise! HOTFIX! ' make good points. "Hotfixes" may be unavoidable, and while communication is improving it is still a work in progress. Those who have expressed concerns about the 'fix' causing more problems than it solves also seem to speak not only from experience, but from an experience I have shared.

I am choosing to believe the question refers to downtime in general, and not just "regular maintenances" since we no longer have those as such: Mainte-no-nance If this is a mistake feel free to correct. (And expect to be asked to explain.)

TL;DR Very well done BB for acting on player feedback and doing it in an open and transparent way (Truly, wow. This degree of open discussion and visible voting is rare, and should be much more common. Keep it up.) Voting "No freeze", though if this had come up three years ago I may well have voted for "Freeeeze it aaaaall!!" though even now I have no difficulty seeing why lower levels and/or people who don't look in once or twice a day to see what's doing might well oppose my "No freeze" vote.

* 36 Saltpetre every 18 min 32 sec. Not cheap even these days.

** 1.400 HWP, 1.400 Marble, 3.000 Tools. For a long time this was hugely expensive and if it crashed ~ Sadness! (To say the least. o.O)
    Last edited by Iolanthe; 01.12.17 at 02:32. Reason: Added thought.

Original Serf
    World
    Newfoundland
    no way

Closed Thread