Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Does BB know what 'Hotfix' means?

Quartermaster
    World
    Sandycove

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by IainC View Post
    From Wikipedia:

The term "hotfix" originally referred to software patches that were applied to "hot" systems; that is, systems which are live, currently running, and in production status rather than development status.

Quote Originally Posted by Kistelek View Post
    something you should consider next time you're toying with the idea of buying a gem pit that last 2 years.
    gem pit lasts 1 year + walking time
    Last edited by SSSecretSquirrel; 24.11.17 at 00:11.

World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Loomy View Post
    I am getting curious. Can you name those situations and also why those are making you lol?
    Over the course of 3 years the CM on one of the other language versions was repeatably asked if they could change the pack size in barracks from 25 to some other number (which effectively means reconfiguring max value of a slider input). The response was always the same - there are some technical issues preventing us from doing so.

Which I personally find funny knowing a thing or two about input elements in some poppular frameworks, and how they can easily be configured without changing underlying logic, and knowing the game already had other sliders with different max range.

Then, after some time, a solution is introduced, based on not addressing the actual problem, but instead introducing another slider. Of course the second one doesnt face the technical limitations first one did. I guess times change.

Ended up being a joke among few of my fellow developers who used to play this game.

Other things I personally like is stuff like every new general introduced between 2013 and late 2015 (I think) consumed a building license when placed on home island. What I find amusing is that :

- after being fixed once it still kept happening, even for the same kind of generals (when second MoD got introduced it had the same bug that was affecting the first one earlier)
    - popped out all of sudden for generals that havent had the problem before (indicating some kind of regression)
    - it doesnt make any sense. I mean, how bad of a mess in the logic one has to have to apply restrictions that are unique to buildings (and only some buildings for that matter), to objects that are clearly not a building ?

I would probably find a few more, but these stand out.

Jolly Advisor
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by Loomy View Post
    I am getting curious. Can you name those situations and also why those are making you lol?
    Just look back in the forum archive of the bug creation server (tsotesting.com).
    many's the time there were pages and pages of unanswered bug reports, and at the end of that particular testing phase, they were batch moved to the "No Bug" section and some game-stopping disasters went "Live".
    Searching these forums for "Parrot Exploit" should enlighten you too.
    Did you play the Halloween event? The golems failed to appear last year as well.
    After spending months providing evidence and successfully replicating certain bugs, is it any wonder that the phrase "We thought that had been fixed" makes me want to drown someone in a convenient duck pond?

Jolly Advisor
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkz View Post
    Over the course of 3 years the CM on one of the other language versions was repeatably asked if they could change the pack size in barracks from 25 to some other number (which effectively means reconfiguring max value of a slider input). The response was always the same - there are some technical issues preventing us from doing so.

Which I personally find funny knowing a thing or two about input elements in some poppular frameworks, and how they can easily be configured without changing underlying logic, and knowing the game already had other sliders with different max range.

Then, after some time, a solution is introduced, based on not addressing the actual problem, but instead introducing another slider. Of course the second one doesnt face the technical limitations first one did. I guess times change.

Ended up being a joke among few of my fellow developers who used to play this game.

Other things I personally like is stuff like every new general introduced between 2013 and late 2015 (I think) consumed a building license when placed on home island. What I find amusing is that :

- after being fixed once it still kept happening, even for the same kind of generals (when second MoD got introduced it had the same bug that was affecting the first one earlier)
    - popped out all of sudden for generals that havent had the problem before (indicating some kind of regression)
    - it doesnt make any sense. I mean, how bad of a mess in the logic one has to have to apply restrictions that are unique to buildings (and only some buildings for that matter), to objects that are clearly not a building ?

I would probably find a few more, but these stand out.
    It's the lack of "collision detection" gets my goat. Sick of losing expensive and sometimes irreplaceable items because a rogue collectable or general landed on top of it and deleted it from the game. One collie has even created a "dead zone" 1x1 in size which stops anything ever being built in that locality despite all the surrounding pixels being shaded green.
    We went for years with returning generals landing safely but the day collectables were introduced they turned into potential nukes.

Architect of the Empire
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by Kistelek View Post
    will be gameless in a couple of years when the browser authors finally nail the coffin lid shut on Flash. BB's statement that they're not even considering moving to HTML5 is something you should consider next time you're toying with the idea of buying a gem pit that last 2 years.
    Saqui made a comment a little while ago saying, settlers has no plans of going anywhere and will be around for a long time to come

Original Serf
    World
    Northisle
    I have figured out why they call it a hotfix. It's because the cooling in the serverroom broke down, so now they have to wear enviromental suits to enter it. Furthermore for security reasons they have dissabled remote imput to the servers, so now they have to manually type in every change. Imagine dooing that wearing environmental suite!!!

Pathfinder
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by vigabrand View Post
    Saqui made a comment a little while ago saying, settlers has no plans of going anywhere and will be around for a long time to come
    Saw that one, but not sure how far it will go when flash is finally killed off

Ruler of the Land TheVictorious's Avatar
    World
    Sandycove
    I was wondering why there is no hotfix after the last update but got satisfied when they did it today , because It seems to become a normal thing to come with an update and then hotfix.

Well, that's good, the weather is so cold, hotfixes make us warm
    Last edited by TheVictorious; 07.12.17 at 19:04.
    Hello People

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by vigabrand View Post
    They can say all sorts of thinks like that, what we actually need to know is how they intend to keep it going post-flash. ie what steps are being taken. After all there will be no-one to say ''Oi you said this would still be working' to when we cannot login.

World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by lordloocan View Post
    They can say all sorts of thinks like that, what we actually need to know is how they intend to keep it going post-flash. ie what steps are being taken. After all there will be no-one to say ''Oi you said this would still be working' to when we cannot login.
    I don't think we need to be concerned with what their plans are post-flash, since that will be a change to many layers of many platforms and emulators can be put together and other workarounds. But my logic suggests:

With the assumption BB is making some profit on this game (I think a fair assumption given the fact that expansion of content keeps happening - if you are going to drop a platform you don't pay developers to keep adding to it). Then.....

You would not just 'sit there' and watch your income stream vanish. BB is much more than Settlers and as a profitable software developer Settlers would be included in cost/profit analysis and the needs to compensate for changes in browser support, operating systems, graphics standards (in other words, pretty much the ongoing changing computer world that we know).

All in all I have faith that it is making money, and you wouldn't be pouring R&D cost into something that you planned to deprecate.
    Sorry, but I've slept since then...

Reply to Thread