Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Does BB know what 'Hotfix' means?

Glorious Graduate
    World
    Newfoundland

Does BB know what 'Hotfix' means?

From Wikipedia:

A hotfix or quick-fix engineering update (QFE update) is a single, cumulative package that includes information (often in the form of one or more files) that is used to address a problem in a software product (i.e., a software bug).[1] Typically, hotfixes are made to address a specific customer situation.

The term "hotfix" originally referred to software patches that were applied to "hot" systems; that is, systems which are live, currently running, and in production status rather than development status.
    If you have to take the servers offline to apply it, then it's not a hotfix, it's a patch or an update. I've run live-ops for games and I have never heard of a hotfix that involved any downtime beyond maybe a restart.

Skilled Student
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by IainC View Post
    From Wikipedia:

If you have to take the servers offline to apply it, then it's not a hotfix, it's a patch or an update. I've run live-ops for games and I have never heard of a hotfix that involved any downtime beyond maybe a restart.
    Welcome to bb.
    With bb terms are:
    upgrade = Normal game update, including 6h offline in what time they fix one bug adds 5 bugs and install new things.
    Hotfix = fixing 2 bugs installing 9 taking 50% new stuff away as they didint work and usualy means 9+h downtime.

and all u really need to know is: backend of tso is written with Java( yeah really bad and old decicion and really cant do much and uses a lot of resources)
    Database, no one knows, bb has newer told wich database engine they run. probably one based microsoft acces 95.
    frontend FLASH so after u have read those lines u understand the miracle that whole game and its existence are.
    Last edited by Umine; 22.11.17 at 15:57. Reason: adding text

Erudite Pioneer
    World
    Northisle
    In fairness, when I were a lad, Java and dBase/FoxPro were the future and everything would run them everywhere. AWS and Hadoop were unheard of. The idea of spinning a VM up in seconds with a tested, pre-configured image to improve service or quickly restore service was non-existent.

Sadly for us, most other companies updated, migrated or renewed. We, on the other hand, will be gameless in a couple of years when the browser authors finally nail the coffin lid shut on Flash. BB's statement that they're not even considering moving to HTML5 is something you should consider next time you're toying with the idea of buying a gem pit that last 2 years.

Skilled Student
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Umine View Post
    Welcome to bb.
    With bb terms are:
    upgrade = Normal game update, including 6h offline in what time they fix one bug adds 5 bugs and install new things.
    Hotfix = fixing 2 bugs installing 9 taking 50% new stuff away as they didint work and usualy means 9+h downtime.

and all u really need to know is: backend of tso is written with Java( yeah really bad and old decicion and really cant do much and uses a lot of resources)
    Database, no one knows, bb has newer told wich database engine they run. probably one based microsoft acces 95.
    frontend FLASH so after u have read those lines u understand the miracle that whole game and its existence are.
    had to laugh at this

i am now getting frustrated with this game

Original Serf
    World
    Newfoundland
    Not even sure they know what fix means let alone hotfix

World
    Sandycove
    I get as frustrated as everyone else but as the administrator of test environments for a large company I know how despite the best efforts sometimes bugs get into production and fixes are not that easy in some situations. And as an ex full-time programmer I know how touching a piece of code over here can produce amazing results way over there in a section you didn't have any idea wasn't even connected. As far as choice of tools go, you can use a screwdriver to open a can of beans but it's not the best tool for that and probably will end up breaking at some point (it's often not the tool, it's the application of the tool). But also sometimes the right tool can't do it's job because something else underlying isn't how it should be. All in all - sometimes, it's a nightmare to keep it all working.

That being said and waving one flag in support of the complexities involved with managing something like this, I do wish they would use a different term then "hot fix". When we "hot swap" a disk that means no outage because one of the spare disks will take over the work for a while. We use "down time" when the users will have to be logged off. I think that's the industry standard just like the definition posted above shows.

I still like playing despite the burps that happen from time to time.
    Sorry, but I've slept since then...

World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Xibor View Post
    I know how despite the best efforts sometimes bugs get into production and fixes are not that easy in some situations.
    The problem with this game is that there were multiple situations that make you question whether there were 'best' efforts to maintain certain level of quality, or any efforts at all.

Especially from a standpoint of someone who is involved in development, where some of the problems or the explanations to those problems provided by BB make you laugh out loud.

World
    Newfoundland
    Its part of the fun Like events, its not a real event until we have downtime for some fix or other. Hotfix, update, whatever, just part of the experience.
    One time it was down so long I had to go outside for a short while.

Original Serf
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkz View Post
    The problem with this game is that there were multiple situations that make you question whether there were 'best' efforts to maintain certain level of quality, or any efforts at all.

Especially from a standpoint of someone who is involved in development, where some of the problems or the explanations to those problems provided by BB make you laugh out loud.
    I am getting curious. Can you name those situations and also why those are making you lol?

World
    Northisle
    im really impressed with how well it worked too

Reply to Thread