Reply to Thread

Thread: Rangers in The Fisherman and his wife

Erudite Pioneer
    World
    Newfoundland

Rangers in The Fisherman and his wife

I've been losing more troops than I should a few times on The Fisherman and his wife. The problem seems to be the rangers, who is acting a bit wierd.

Sometimes they seem to die as they should. For example, an attack with Lord Dracul (171-393) kills 39 rangers (hp 10). But then, an attack with a Major Gen (120) and one armoured marksman (200, skilled gen) kills only two rangers.

What's up with that?

Keen Commentor
    World
    Northisle
    In short. Most generals and units fight on 1 to 1 basis. Major with 120 minimum damage or Arm. Marksmen (min. 100 damage) will kill, for exemple, only 1 dog (5 HP), 1 ranger (10 HP), 1 Horsemen (50 HP), 1 Roughneck (90 HP) or 1 Boar (100 HP) etc.
    On the other hand, "splash damage" allows to use the exact damage needed to kill one unit and carry over the rest to the next target (and so on, until all offensive power is used).

The second attack - units/generals has no splash damage (sometimes called "area of effect" by simulators), so Arm. Marksman kills 1 ranger and Major general kills 1 too, the rest of their offense is just useless "overkill".
    Splash damage on Dracul (with his 171 or 393 damage due to Juggernaut-3) allows to kill 17 or 39 rangers, because thanks to "splash" his damage is divided between enemies, using only as much as needed (in this case 10 HP) to kill an unit.

Only Mounted Marksmen and Besiegers have Splash damage from your troops.
    If used with Nusala, also bowmen, longbowmen, crossbowmen, Marksmen and Armoured Marksmen deal splash damage.
    From generals, it's all 3 Champions, MMA, Dracul and Master of Defence.

It's possible (with 3 books in Juggernaut) to ensure that any of your generals will always deal "splash damage" too. And with books in other skills, you can make splashing Cavalry/Knights (Unstop. Charge-3), Elite Soldiers (Cleave-3).

Splash damage among bandits is quite common, it's present on almost every Boss unit, on some regular units (for example Petty officers from Pirate-type units, Dancing Dervishes from Cultist-type), on some Fairy Tales units (for example Bear, Giant, Royal Longbow, Royal Cannoneer, Wolf Packleader) and also on all 1001 Nights bandits.
    Last edited by Kris3457; 30.04.18 at 05:28.

Erudite Pioneer
    World
    Newfoundland
    Aaaah, everything is so much clearer now! I can't believe I've played for so long and never before realized this. I've thought splash damage was between different kinds of troops. Thanks for clearing that up!

Reply to Thread