Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Queen's Birthday

Guide of the Month Ruler of the Land Nogbad's Avatar
    World
    Newfoundland

Queen's Birthday

errm, thanks but whose flag is that?
    It appears to be a composite of the crosses of St George and St Andrew ie: England and Scotland, but is missing the cross of St Patrick for Northern Ireland.
    Have we gone back in time or do you think we've ceded Ulster in the Brexit negotiations?
    We love our new CM.

Newfoundland: 20th November 2011 to 25th November 2014. RIP
    It was good while it lasted.

World
    Northisle
    It could be considered by many as quite offensive.

Town Crier
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by Nogbad View Post
    ...do you think we've ceded Ulster in the Brexit negotiations?
    Wishful thinking, maybe?

Seriously though, when I first saw the graphic in the news item I was hopeful that maybe the Union Jack might be made available as a Flowerbed Flag in the upcoming summer event, as many people requested in this thread. Then I also noticed the missing portions of the Northern Irish flag and began to wonder...

Jolly Advisor
    World
    Sandycove
    the ulster flag is isnt in the union flag anyway. its a red + with a hand with a crown over it on a white field. bit like the cross of st george but the cross is over to the right rather than in the middle. the red X in the union flag doesnt really represent any part of the UK But its used to represent ireland as the normal ulster flag clashes with the england flag. the welsh flag isnt in the union flag either. its only scotland and england thats in it.

The only reason England and Scotland became united was cause the king of England was actualy a Scottish guy who invaded Scotland using English and Scottish armies to unite the 2 countries. He also invaded ireland to get back to his homeland as the scotti tribe who named Scotland were actually irish.
    The Scotti tribe got thrown out of ireland by the other 3 irish tribes after a war. So the scotti tribe went looking for a new homeland which they found on the clyde and built glasgow.
    Highlanders r the original pict tribes. the lowlanders r the irish scotti tribe.

World
    Sandycove
    Oh good. Something else trivial for people to get all upset about.
    It's been a while

Sorry, but I've slept since then...

Erudite Pioneer
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by Xibor View Post
    Oh good. Something else trivial for people to get all upset about.
    It's been a while

Settlers is important and real life is trivial? If only the real world were nothing to worry about and people didn't die over flags. *Sigh*

The forum is dying a death to be fair. ANYTHING will do, even cod history.

World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeLido View Post
    Settlers is important and real life is trivial? If only the real world were nothing to worry about and people didn't die over flags. *Sigh*

I think you misunderstood and/or my message was unclear. And I'm assuming the thread is about the flag shown in the Trooping the Color section on the main page...

From my point of view, a graphic posted by a game is trivial. A good definition of trivial. Much as the referred to 'exactly what was sent as a game reward for woman's day issue' was.

It's just a graphic on one section of a page (which you don't even actually have to look at if you don't want) that you go through to get into a game based on a fictitious universe who's designers on occasion borrow real world elements to offer some color for. It really doesn't matter.

That's what I meant by trivial.
    Sorry, but I've slept since then...

Erudite Pioneer
    World
    Sandycove
    I got you, but I disagree. If the game alludes to real life, it IS (kind of, on the edge of) serious, even in a dying non-game.

I think they should think twice and probably stop doing these quietly crass things. Then again, I'm not holding my breath.

World
    Newfoundland
    If it was Elizabeth I's birthday, that flag might be fair game as if you've ever watched any films based in Tudor times, something very similar to that is seen flying as the ensign on ships of the line.
    But if we're allowing out of date flags then we all know how offensive that can be!
    I can think of several that would never ever be allowed to be posted here.

And Cliff, there's a very good reason why there's no dragons on it, they didn't include principalities. The offset red saltire is still supposed to represent St Patrick, even though the current N Ireland flag as you rightly describe is the red + with the red hand, the Union Flag (it's not the Union Jack unless on a ship btw) dates back to long before the breakaway of Eire, it's a bit of a throwback to the British Isles as opposed to Great Britain.
    We love our new CM.

World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeLido View Post

Sheldon Cooper presents "Fun With Flags".
    We love our new CM.

Reply to Thread