Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: World Wide Web Day

Community Manager
    World
    Newfoundland

World Wide Web Day

Dear Settlers,

Celebrate World Wide Web Day with us by recalling the humble beginnings of web browsing that revolutionized and shaped our society to the digital era we live in.

• We invite you to share your very first memory of web browsing - where were you, who was there with you and what website did you access?

We're looking forward to reading a boatload of nostalgic entries!

Happy World Wide Web Day!
    BB_Saqui

World
    Newfoundland
    It made a noise like this
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qWg6cgFnIU
    Ahh well back in 1991 and we used it to connect with other 6th Form colleges back in England. There was a game, text only, can not remember what it was called. A dungeon thing, turn based. Also played a form of correspondence chess. Ahh the good old days
    Last edited by Kriegor; 01.08.18 at 21:51. Reason: link approved.

Erudite Pioneer
    World
    Northisle
    Actually, it is Yorkshire Day too!

May all your puddings be filled with beef and gravy :-)

Skilled Student
    World
    Newfoundland
    what do you think for this collection https://youtu.be/FS15M9HAvdQ

Original Serf
    World
    Northisle
    World Wide Web

The year was 1994 and I had access for the first time to a terminal computer with a green screen - (not an ordinary PC) - in a Centralized Computing system where the Main computer was connected to the internet (World Wide Web more precisely) and some other peripherals like a big Dot Matrix printing machine. This was of course in a government institution and on that time there wasn't Google and Yahoo was just born.
    My first "search & print it" were some lyrics from Music Bands that I listened at the time: R.E.M., Nirvana & Pearl Jam.

Now the year it's 2018 and more and more the “World Wide Web” is threatened by the censorship and control of information.
    Even in some play and fun spaces like this one. Even here.

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Sandycove
    The first internet domain name to be registered was symbolics.com in 1985. Adding the WWW wasn't introduced until 1991.

I worked in a computer repair shop around that time and we did have a very limited dial-up connection.

I think the first thing I actually downloaded personally, was a copy of Doom around 1993/4 and copied onto floppy discs to take home.

Original Serf
    World
    Newfoundland
    My first internet experience involved some orange terminals on an ULTRIX machine in late 1992/ early 1993. I remember i searched for this and that, and that i played BattleTech MUSE in Clan Nova Cat. Later it crashed, and became CattleTech (they just put an ascii pic of some cows). It never recovered.
    I remember I drove a mech with around 3.5sec lag. Tho-D with 2 LPLs and 2ERLarge lasers and jump jets was my favourite. And, one has to remember, it was a text-only terminal. Graphics was all ascii.

Pathfinder
    World
    Sandycove

World Wide Web

Then .. maybe in 1994 or so i compiled NCSA web server and Mosaic web browser .. before that we use only ftp or news or gopher services (no web) and also BBS dial-up

Connecting to internet was usualy dial-up with ppp

Pathfinder
    World
    Newfoundland
    I join the WWW world in 1992 I think using a 1200 baud modem … Dont really remember what the first page I visit was, but do remember it was only tekst and it toke a very long time to load The first song I ever downloaded was Guns'n roses November Rian … toke around 14 min to DL Fist game I ever played was Doom and Duke nukeem

Original Serf
    World
    Newfoundland
    my first experience was through the Open University in the dial up days. It was easiest to connect in the middle of the night to check for course updates!

Closed Thread