Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Banned Words

World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by MOD_Aszbhar View Post
    The Rules are available for all to see, they even have their own section of this forum dedicated to them:

As a moderator I expect you have excellent understanding of the English language. Yet you dont even comprehend my simple sentences. I have read the rules many times over. What good are they if I dont know what words are allowed for use and what are forbidden? Where is the list of forbidden words? Without this the rules are useless and any official can just abuse them however they like.
    Was fighting windmills from Aug 2012 to Oct 2019.

World
    Sandycove
    It's very tough to monitor/moderate language. One example often used is the proper name for a female dog. In the correct context it's appropriate, in others it is very much not.

I think all BB is asking is that we try to obey the intent of the rule and use language that we would use in even the most formal social situation and not what we might use down at the local pub. I would hope everyone has enough common sense to know what would be ok and what would not. And if you want to 'split hairs' over some words or are not sure, then simply choose another way of expressing it.
    Sorry, but I've slept since then...

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by topgearfan View Post
    As a moderator I expect you have excellent understanding of the English language. Yet you dont even comprehend my simple sentences. I have read the rules many times over. What good are they if I dont know what words are allowed for use and what are forbidden? Where is the list of forbidden words? Without this the rules are useless and any official can just abuse them however they like.
    Unfortunately the idea of them publishing a list is self defeating. For BB to list the banned words they would be guilty of breaking their own rule by using them in a public forum. I did once manage to find a list of non-pegi7 words on a pegi info site but took an age to find and I didn't bookmark it. Was on some sort of annual report.

Glorious Graduate
    World
    Newfoundland
    I think the one word that should be banned but isn't is "hotfix."

World
    Newfoundland
    Here is the first few entrys from the banned word list. I hope it helps in some way.

ok go to go, Have a great day

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Kriegor View Post
    Here is the first few entrys from the banned word list. I hope it helps in some way.

ok go to go, Have a great day
    As language are ever changing and words that are absolutely innocent changed into having other meanings also that some might find not so innocent - I fear that this is all we will see in chat in the future. - So still - cut that list down to the words that are truly "bad" - and let us be allowed to w e e d our garden again :-D

*** *** *** *** *** *** :-D
    If for some reason support feels the need to edit what I wrote, please delete entire post instead, dont put words into my mouth that I never said.

World
    Sandycove

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by rathbone93 View Post
    I think the one word that should be banned but isn't is "hotfix."
    Sorry, but I've slept since then...

Jolly Advisor
    World
    Sandycove
    a lot of kids use words adults wouldnt use lol. Its usualy the kids that turn innocent words into bad words.

If i used the words most kids use these days when i was a kid i would have a bar of soap put in my mouth.

Seems the younger generation cant even talk without every other word being a swear word. even my nephew when he was 5 was swearing his head off all the time. Thats due to films having so much swearing in them.

Treasure Hunter
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by topgearfan View Post
    I understood your simple sentences fine, particularly the one you marked in bold, which was the one I was focussed on before. You claimed that players "can't know what the rules are" and I was countering your hyperbole with fact. What you actually mean is that there is a lack of specifics for one particular rule. A rule that many seem to be able to deal with just fine by using a certain amount of common sense.

As has already been pointed out, producing a list of inappropriate words is self-defeating, not only because Blue Byte publishing it would violate the Pegi-7 rating but also because of contextual issues as well as the fluid nature of language as meanings evolve over time.

Nevertheless, if you require some guidance on this, then I suggest you consult the Oxford English Dictionary, which has a practice of annotating vulgar words within its pages as a good indicator as to whether a word is allowed or not. Failing that, by using the '/w <username>' command in chat, it is actually possible to whisper yourself and you can check whether a particular word is filtered or not. Failing that, you could always try contacting Pegi. After all, it is my understanding that they decided the final rating for the game.

As for the final part of your post. If you have knowledge of specific instances of abuse, then you should be familiar enough with the rules to know that they should be reported in a support ticket. If not, then your comment is, at best, hypothetical and serves no purpose other than to unjustifiably call into the question the integrity of the folks like myself who volunteer their time to help maintain the game community.

You are all entitled to discuss this topic as you see fit, but only within the framework of the rules as they currently exist. It has already been necessary to moderate one post, and I would rather there not be any more, so please keep it clean moving forward.

Thank you.

Pathfinder
    World
    Northisle
    This discution is a non-sense.
    This filter is not working at all... just add space... or use l33t sp34k... or.. or ...

This filter is NOT working at all.

It's just a way for BB to say : "we respect the law"

Closed Thread