Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Banned Words

Skilled Student
    World
    Newfoundland

Banned Words

Us, the gentlemen were discussing about different trees. And when it came time to tell what trees I chopped down at spring. I could not say, because it is so uncertain what is bannable offence with this pegi-stuff.

90-99% of players are adults, please turn this into adult game already, like some (most?) versions of this game already are.

These unnecessary rules/limitations just are insult to us players and this community.

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorefield View Post
    Us, the gentlemen were discussing about different trees. And when it came time to tell what trees I chopped down at spring. I could not say, because it is so uncertain what is bannable offence with this pegi-stuff.

90-99% of players are adults, please turn this into adult game already, like some (most?) versions of this game already are.

These unnecessary rules/limitations just are insult to us players and this community.
    I can understand why some words are not allowed - and the ones I think of is not needed. But words that has a perfectly innocent meaning in some cases,- I dont get why they are on the list. I cant tell my guild members that I have been w e e d i n g my garden for instance - that is soo stupid. The intentions of the rules are maybe fine - but they way they are - just make them come out as something ridiculous.
    Besides that I dont mind that there are kids playing the game, but would not like them to play unsupervised as 99% of players here are adults. I dont see that it is the banned words or any other words that is the tread to the kids if they play alone.
    If for some reason support feels the need to edit what I wrote, please delete entire post instead, dont put words into my mouth that I never said.

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Sandycove
    There are no words which will result in a ban, there are however words which the chat filter does not allow. It's only when you try and circumvent the filter do you risk a ban.

It does not matter if 99.9999999% of players are adult, what does matter is children are allowed so you are expected to act as if kids are present. The keyword here is the word adult, that is one who is expected to take responsibility for their words and actions. It's also the case that not everyone wants to see the language of gutter on screen.
    Sure the system we have has flaws but as yet we have not perfected the technology to the level which would allow us to have a flaw free system.
    When it comes to Gene pools and shallow ends they can be found at the bar drinking pina colada's

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorotheus View Post
    There are no words which will result in a ban, there are however words which the chat filter does not allow. It's only when you try and circumvent the filter do you risk a ban.

It does not matter if 99.9999999% of players are adult, what does matter is children are allowed so you are expected to act as if kids are present. The keyword here is the word adult, that is one who is expected to take responsibility for their words and actions. It's also the case that not everyone wants to see the language of gutter on screen.
    Sure the system we have has flaws but as yet we have not perfected the technology to the level which would allow us to have a flaw free system.
    The system is stupid and the way it works, makes people find it ridiculous.
    When perfectly normal innocent words is filtered because people with too much imagination can find ways to use them that is not so innocent. Sensible rules are fine

No matter what words are banned or allowed - it does not change that it is the people need to behave - and parents need to supervise their kids. you can still somehow put the remaining words together to offend people - both so that they feel offended with good reason, and because they love to be offended.
    No rules can prevent that.

Word that only have one not innocent meaning- fine by me to ban them. But please don't ban every word that might be used in an offending way.

If I had a kid playing this kid I would not be worried that he or she heard a conversation where one player told the other that he spend the Sunday w e e ding the garden I would be more worried about what went on in whisper no matter what words was used.
    If for some reason support feels the need to edit what I wrote, please delete entire post instead, dont put words into my mouth that I never said.

World
    Newfoundland
    It's not easy to filter 'bad' words. I remember once investigating a bounced email because it contained the name of an English town (postcode DN15 6LZ for the curious).

I'd rather have the filter there than not though, as sometimes people forget they're speaking in public and the filter prevents embarrassment or offence on some occasions.

World
    Sandycove
    The only thing I can say is that in the Sons of the Little Tailor there is the "Golden Ass".
    Sorry, but I've slept since then...

World
    Newfoundland
    I dont chat in this game unless absolutely necessary cause of the ridiculous rules. The problem is that the rules are very unspecific. I dont know what is considered bad by native english speakers. If i knew what the forbidden words were Id be able to follow the rules but right now its impossible.
    Worse, game officials flat out refuse to tell what words are allowed and what arent! Ive asked several times. Yet you get punished anyway whenever they feel like since you cant know what the rules are!!!
    Last edited by topgearfan; 28.09.18 at 21:09.
    Was fighting windmills from Aug 2012 to Oct 2019.

Treasure Hunter
    World
    Newfoundland
    The Rules are available for all to see, they even have their own section of this forum dedicated to them:

Skilled Student
    World
    Newfoundland
    certain tree I mentioned at title, has been touched by censorship. Title has been changed. I rest my case. For now.

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by MOD_Aszbhar View Post
    The Rules are available for all to see, they even have their own section of this forum dedicated to them:

The rules themselves are not the problem, it's how they are implemented. I would say the legal team are to blame and that they should be demoted to recuits for their lack of due diligence.

What is and is not a offensive word is something which should be under constant review as language changes over time. The same can be said about the rule about not encouraging somebody to commit a illegal act, as new laws are added to the books and old laws are repealed all the time, since Mods are not expected to be legal experts in the multiple legal systems we have here how can they be expected to enforce that game rule.
    When it comes to Gene pools and shallow ends they can be found at the bar drinking pina colada's

Closed Thread