Reply to Thread

Thread: Settlers Online Offical Discord?

Pathfinder
    World
    Newfoundland

Red face Settlers Online Offical Discord?

Make Offical discord so everyone can post their recruitment there and chat, voice chat. Willl be more fun and lots of players can connect to each other easy!
    I hope you will do it, It's really easy to setup a discord.

Example..my discord: [Removed]

Please do not post external links on the forum
    Last edited by MOD_Daz; 06.10.18 at 13:09.

Community Manager
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Palestinac View Post
    Make Offical discord so everyone can post their recruitment there and chat, voice chat. Willl be more fun and lots of players can connect to each other easy!
    I hope you will do it, It's really easy to setup a discord.

Example..my discord: [Removed]

Please do not post external links on the forum
    At the moment we do not have an official Discord channel, however, I will pass on your idea to the developers.

Acadma

Eggcellent Essayist Mortallicus's Avatar
    World
    Northisle
    My guild have Discord. It really is a wonderful addition to the game or could be.

For it :-
    1. You have voice and text chat in real time with a very easy way to share information and links to anything Settler related. It is easier to use than a Group Forum
    2. You can easily create private areas for adventuring with friends and splitting them into different groups to do different things together.
    3. You can access it from your mobile so still talk to settler friends while on the move.
    4. If you go out and suddenly remember you have left your crossbowsmith unbuffed you can ask someone to do it on discord.
    5. During the down times of the game you have somewhere to chat together and inform everyone as soon as the game is open again.
    6. A Settler friend goes on holiday or into hospital they can easily stay in touch via Discord.
    7. If you cannot log in you can receive help from others that can, maybe advice on what to do and ask for buffs.
    8. If you are on a lootspot and get locked out of the game then go to discord tell your friends and they can smooth the waters for you with those you feel may be getting angry.
    9. The voice access can be good fun and useful .
    10. When your friends leave the game they can still keep in touch.

So it is an enhancement for settlers and I am sure there could be more uses.

The drawbacks:-

1. Many will never use it. In our guild a large number joined to have a look and have not been back. Up to 20% will use it in an emergency and a handful on a daily basis.
    2. I have found that Discord can keep interrupting my life too much. My mobile sends me alerts. I get alerts on my comp screen and okay i can change this in the settings but should I when I set it up to help others. That said I have taken time out from it because of a real life issue. I have just started using it again )
    3. Many dislike the voice chat - to some it comes naturally if they feel confident but many do not . Maybe they feel no one will understand them or they will not understand others.
    4. It does form cliques.
    5. It diminishes chat in the game itself.

We will always keep it as a service for our guild members.
    "Small but beautifully formed ” 
    Tombstone Warriors Guild [ZOMBI]
    Apply now (2nd page in your Guild Shield)

Original Serf
    World
    Newfoundland
    Mortallicus made a few very good points there...

It's very useful with mostly positive additions but considering TSO is pegi-7, it's enough to let me think it's a huge no no...

Now i could list quite a few (probably too many) reasons why BB might never make that happen starting from...
    Spoiler
    the fact that it's a third party and BB has hardly any control/moderation over the chat itself, simply the fact that third party links/contacts would be openly shared between supposed 7 year olds and adults with hardly any control from BB in order to apply their regulations, even more on an external communication platform which means any problem could get complicated and if big enough could would have to turn legal by default, would make it all sound like a nightmare, even if only to their bottom limit of what's okay with their rules from how i see it.

So we're free to do as we like, it just would be a very far reach for them to support or officially accept that... unfortunately or not.

Now all that being said, we really could use a form of communication outside the game too, 1 where BB is present and invest in with us their share of communication as well, it should be something to help revive the community not just to allow us to communicate with each other. We can connect directly through our SIM card's numbers too and BB doesn't stop us from sharing our private contacts, just highly recommends us not to do so and they act the same with adults just because they have to apply the same rules for all but they know we need an external communication platform and they don't mind us using one as long as they don't get involved in it unless they're 100% in it and that's not as easy as it might look like at first, but like Mortallicus said, with given example/s, people already have that and use it and it's mostly positive, so it has something like 2 out of 10 of my vote there lol, but it's a honest one.

Honestly, my main reasons not to be very glad of such an option is mostly because on most games i have seen something like that the in-game chat really did die completely in no time, and that people become either connected too directly too quick (while we're here to disconnect from real life and to be random settlers online) or they completely detach from their community spirit and naturally form mini-social-groups which already serve to the "greyer" direction of the social atmosphere in real life too, so it has to remain supervised and 100% in the spirit of TSO.

Now i don't wanna dream too big but an external chat platform from BB itself specifically made for TSO would be the absolute perfection but again... i'm not even hoping for it.

Just my thoughts on the matter, sorry for the excessive text, it's a bad habit of mine.

Edit: Just added the spoiler... a few times till i got it right.
    Last edited by WildTaurus; 10.10.18 at 14:38.

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Sandycove
    It's just one of many systems which have appeared over the years. Guilds should be free to choose whichever system suits them.

Given the ways certain unlawful groups use such third party systems BB must be very vary of establishing a officialy supported system.
    When it comes to Gene pools and shallow ends they can be found at the bar drinking pina colada's

Pathfinder
    World
    Northisle
    no need for that bro

Reply to Thread