Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: weekly quests - nature of tasks

World
    Newfoundland
    The last 2 hotfixes (ie the ones since the challenges were introduced) have resulted in active challenge quests being flagged as complete and have not deducted troops or resources when clicking the green tick.

Skilled Student
    World
    Sandycove
    Did 2, then gave up with them. The cost is simply too high to justify doing the weekly challenges. Now they just sit in the Quest book, I will look again if common sense kicks in and the approach \ requirements change.

Overall it is a good idea but badly implemented. Here is a different approach but would take a bit to do (maybe not that much)

Step 1
    1. Assign a value to each resource
    2. Assign a value to ADV, good simple option here is XP.

Step 2
    1. Assign a resource target to each player level
    2. Assign a ADV target to each player level

Weekly quest
    Player must donate resources to equal set value to complete task
    Player must gain ADV value to equal set quantity to complete task.

This removes the specific resource types as any resources can be used as long as the combined value meets the requirement.
    For ADV they have to build up required amount (XP) and can be from any ADV.

Simple targets that can be achieved in multiple ways by player choice.

The other thing here is it encourages engagement as some players may do more lower level ADV where others may do higher levels. If the target is XP then it all works out. It also rewards use of things like Prem and other buffs so carful planning comes in too. Key thing is freedom of choice to play how you want to, to meet the target.
    Last edited by Skridoo; 28.11.18 at 12:46.

World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Skridoo View Post
    Player must donate resources to equal set value to complete task
    Player must gain ADV value to equal set quantity to complete task.

This removes the specific resource types as any resources can be used as long as the combined value meets the requirement.
    The problem is it also trivializes the challenge which is what they were trying to avoid.

If you require a player to donate any of the high tier resource in specific amounts, everyone will donate granite because its one resource of the high tier that you can reliably produce without having to spend time, plus if you have proper infrastructure the daily production you can pull off is relatively high (upwards of 10-15k).

If you require a player to collect say certain amount of resources/ XP from adventures, everyone will be doing YWC because no other adventures come even close with regards to gains per time/ troops spent.

Keen Commentor
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by RobD View Post
    Don't know if this is a bug or a pity-move, but the first Weekly Challenge says it completed successfully even though I hadn't done the Mission Task (2x Wild Mary). I'd done the rest (including wasting quite a bit of resource on the boat) and it gave me the reward (Lvl52=22k XP and 17 tokens). I didn't even have 2 "Wild Mary" Missions; let alone completed them. (I'm not putting this on the Bug pages because if it is a Bug I don't want them to fix it since that Task requirement is stupid.)
    If you see a green tick click it, as mentioned its some sort of bug which occurs after a hoftix. Take the free XP and wait for the rest to time out at the end of the 7 days. If it happens to be the last one in the chain you may also get some (relatively) freebie tokens.
    Last edited by cat_flap; 28.11.18 at 13:16.

Skilled Student
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkz View Post
    The problem is it also trivializes the challenge which is what they were trying to avoid.

If you require a player to donate any of the high tier resource in specific amounts, everyone will donate granite because its one resource of the high tier that you can reliably produce without having to spend time, plus if you have proper infrastructure the daily production you can pull off is relatively high (upwards of 10-15k).

If you require a player to collect say certain amount of resources/ XP from adventures, everyone will be doing YWC because no other adventures come even close with regards to gains per time/ troops spent.
    What you have said is completly accurate, the big difference is choice. As players may not be able to get granite or their production is not suitable to be able to donate those as a resopurce. They could have a lot more of other resources that are over produced so they may chose those instead. Again it is player choice.

With regards to doing YWC, yes it may be the best ADV to meet a goal but if you do not have YWC then you can do something different. The idea is not to force players to do a speciffic thing or give a speciffic resource. But allow them the choice of how they do it with what fits in with their gameplay style or how their economy is setup for production.

Anyhow just an alternate approach to deal with the complaint of same ADV or same high value resources needed. As currently there is likely to be more people ignoring a new feature as it does not work for them.

Enlightened Sage
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Skridoo View Post
    But allow them the choice of how they do it with what fits in with their gameplay style or how their economy is setup for production.
    But this is exactly what would make it to not be a challenge at all if you could pick the most convenient solution for your island and gameplay style.

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Newfoundland
    I dont have a issue with the resources and i dont even have a issue with doing adventures like events it gives you a reason to do certain ones you normally wouldnt with the exception of co-ops the servers are not as active as they once was getting one person to do a co-op is ok getting 3 isnt...as for the other adventures i am fine with if you allow them to be bought for map frags because otherwise no way to guaranteed to get them

World
    Newfoundland
    I decided to crunch some numbers. All drop rates are based on the values in settlersonlinewiki.eu.

Please, tell me I'm wrong here. If my calculations are correct, just to get the adventures required by the top level Challenges will require on average 72+54 = 126 Young Woodcutters every 28 days - and then you need to find the time and troops to bash out the thieves, Treasures and a City.

I somehow get the feeling that putting a woodcutter in the merchant for fragments isn't gonna help us a great deal.

Code:
    YWC ---> 1st Thief (1 in 6)  ---> Treasure of Knowledge (1 in 2)  ---> Besieged City (1 in 4)  = 1 in 48   \
                                                                                                                > 2 in 144, or 1 in 72
    YWC ---> 2nd Thief (1 in 6)  ---> Treasure of Knowledge (1 in 4)  ---> Besieged City (1 in 4) = 1 in 96    /

YWC ---> 2nd Thief (1 in 6)  ---> Treasure of Wisdom (1 in 4) = 1 in 24  \
                                                                               > 2 in 36, or 1 in 18 (times 3 = 1 in 54)
    YWC ---> 3rd Thief (1 in 6)  ---> Treasure of Wisdom (1 in 2) = 1 in 12  /
    Last edited by Wulfmeister; 28.11.18 at 22:12.

Enlightened Sage
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulfmeister View Post
    I somehow get the feeling that putting a woodcutter in the merchant for fragments isn't gonna help us a great deal.
    It alone wont help enough but it's a start and a part of the further changes.

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Northisle
    Hellooo, anyone at HQ actually listening?
    Last edited by lordloocan; 28.11.18 at 22:15.

Reply to Thread