Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: The straw that broke the camels back – The reason why I have decided to stop playing

Skilled Student
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by Skridoo View Post
    I do find myself wondering why you need coal when the Epic Forge is built on a volcano, one would expect the constant supply of natural heat would negate the need for coal.......
    As someone pointed out to me: steel is a mixture of carbon and iron. The coal is not used for heat (alone). That said, I have no idea about the other metals.

Guide of the Month Ruler of the Land Nogbad's Avatar
    World
    Newfoundland
    Good luck Bodds, really sad to see you go but can't argue with any reason you gave, they're all valid.
    In a race myself now, will RL force me out before I choose the same path as you.
    We love our new CM.

Newfoundland: 20th November 2011 to 25th November 2014. RIP
    It was good while it lasted.

Glorious Graduate
    World
    Northisle
    totally agree with everything that has been said here ... and am for the first time feeling totally disillusioned with the game myself....

Think the final straw for me was following the latest patch completely breaking the game .... the 100% gem day .. just screaming out .. all we care about is getting your money.

Original Serf
    World
    Sandycove
    yeah, the game just turned away from what it used to be, I'm not gonna extend my premium this time. Been running prem since I started playing 2016.
    The event's is also messed up, now it's a grinding chore one player event and trade. The halloween event in 2016 and 2017 wast very fun and busy, now not so much.
    Last edited by C0ldFart; 25.11.18 at 09:54.

Forum Explorer
    World
    Northisle
    For a long time people was complaining that nothing new was added to game - and they therefore planned to quit - now there is lots of new stuff that you can choose to do or ignore - and people complain over to much new stuff and say that makes them quit.
    Some say they wanted new stuff- but not what BB offered - should have been something else. Game has thousands of players - everyone can not expect to get exactly what she/he ask for.
    Some say they want something like old settlers - well you can have that - play for a week or two - delete account and start over.
    Some say to much to buy in merchant at events - I agree - for low level players - but if you have played several years I dont think you need much from shop - at halloween I bought new general ( not sure it was a good idea ) and 1 haunted mansion ( did not need it - but wanted one on my island ) beside that the pumpkins I had was donated to low level guildies. Same procedure for x-mas - 3 or 4 items I dont have but want - rest is surplus.
    I is impossible to please everyone - gamedesigner and developer has to choose what can be done and what not - game is getting old and old programs tend to become hard to maintain without creating bugs.
    You cant expect every bug to be fixed same day you report them - and on the other hand complain over badly tested hotfixes and to many hotfixes.
    To those who quit : How many other games have you played - every single day - several years. I played several other games - but never daily for a year or more. Maybe not the game that changed much - but you ? ( if you start on a new server not much has changed in the last 4 years untill you get to level 50 )

Nifty
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by halv12 View Post
    For a long time people was complaining that nothing new was added to game - and they therefore planned to quit - now there is lots of new stuff that you can choose to do or ignore - and people complain over to much new stuff and say that makes them quit.
    Some say they wanted new stuff- but not what BB offered - should have been something else. Game has thousands of players - everyone can not expect to get exactly what she/he ask for.
    Some say they want something like old settlers - well you can have that - play for a week or two - delete account and start over.
    Some say to much to buy in merchant at events - I agree - for low level players - but if you have played several years I dont think you need much from shop - at halloween I bought new general ( not sure it was a good idea ) and 1 haunted mansion ( did not need it - but wanted one on my island ) beside that the pumpkins I had was donated to low level guildies. Same procedure for x-mas - 3 or 4 items I dont have but want - rest is surplus.
    I is impossible to please everyone - gamedesigner and developer has to choose what can be done and what not - game is getting old and old programs tend to become hard to maintain without creating bugs.
    You cant expect every bug to be fixed same day you report them - and on the other hand complain over badly tested hotfixes and to many hotfixes.
    To those who quit : How many other games have you played - every single day - several years. I played several other games - but never daily for a year or more. Maybe not the game that changed much - but you ? ( if you start on a new server not much has changed in the last 4 years untill you get to level 50 )
    I have played this game daily for 2.5 years. It was an enjoyable, social aspect of my everyday life, one which I enjoyed immensely.
    I felt it was important to let the developers know why this was no longer the case.
    The fact that there have been new features have been welcomed. However the new features recently appear to be primarily to strip players of resources, or to get them to spend more money.
    In itself, the new features would be fine, except they are not conducent to the limited space available.
    Players are now having to demolish production chains in order to build all of the new buildings, due to the space limitations. This is at a time where game features are requiring inordinate amounts of resources to be sacrificed. The option is to either spend money to buy gems for the new islands or to not partake in the new features.
    Likewise with the events – double the pumpkins/presents are required to get the full benefit of the new buildings/items, without any additional means to get them, except to buy more gems.
    Everything that has been brought out recently, from the introduction of new islands, Anniversary Event (how many resources can you sacrifice), MCC campaign (Clearing out years of resources whilst getting an Epic Forge that requires more coal than can be produced on the islands limited space), Halloween event requiring twice as many pumpkins to be bought, the Weekly Challenges (lets strip what resources they have left and doing adventures that players either don’t have or don’t want to do) and the upcoming Christmas Event that again requires twice as many presents to get the full benefit of the new buildings being brought out.
    All of these new events and features require more space on the islands where established production buildings are already being demolished to make room for the new buildings. The buildings being demolished are crippling the production chains at a time when all new features are requiring inordinate amount of resources to be sacrificed.
    The reason I left was due to the realisation that everything being brought out was detriment to the settlers ethos of developing your islands and was continually of the belief that it will get players to pay more money to either buy gems for more island space, gems for more pumpkins/presents, gems to buy more of the new buildings etc
    The new features are not in balance with the previous game ethos of spending years developing and utilising island space to its maximum. Now the game has evolved to – we will throw new features at you that will require you to spend money as you are not able to do them without more island space or buying better buildings to increase production, as we will drain your resources.
    Of course we don’t have to any of these new features, which brings me back to why I chose to leave. If I am unable to do the new content, then all I am doing is spending 4 hours a day refilling mines to keep my island (that I have spent years carefully evolving), standing still, which is not fun any more.
    The whole situation could have been avoided, had they introduced more islands that could have been purchased with in game content such as beanstalks/gold coins/guild coins etc – however they chose an avenue which required gems to be bought and every event and feature since has been with getting players to spend more money. They could have introduced a second island where we could have built trade routes between the two, this would have made a lot more sense as the game is growing, so should our utilisable space.
    There is not enough space in the game to satisfy the new features and the game developers are concentrating on milking the players dry in order to keep up.
    Like I said, it was the straw that broke the camels back for me as I did not like the direction the game was heading without any indication they were taking existing players consideration and feedback into account.

Still wishing all the players the absolute best in this game.
    Bodds

Ruler of the Land TheVictorious's Avatar
    World
    Sandycove
    Usually, I don't read long posts, but I read it all! well said.
    Hello People

Brotherjon
    Some good points made and I would agree that in general, the game does seem to have a different ‘mission statement’ to what we had 2-3 years ago... There have been some excellent additions to the game but the latest ideas don’t seem to be very well thought out and executed. The mail box upgrade that deleted old emails, the bugs in mcc, the weekly challenge to name a few. But for me the main worry is the diminishing interest in the game by developers, that’s what it seems but hopefully I’m wrong. We used to have random gems prizes for community contributions, reports from stands at annual games conventions, q and a sessions, photos of a cosy but thriving bb office. In my head now I just imagine just one or two people keeping it going in a dimly lot office somewhere. Then there is the whole flash thing too. I do love this game and hope it continues, but I’m already planning on a sabbatical of my own from the game and putting my island on minimum maintenance mode.

Skilled Student
    World
    Newfoundland
    To the OP Id like to talk about one point you make in your well made post.

Its the Events and the amount of event currency needed to buy the items, be it presents or pumpkins etc.

There is an explanation for this, that is BB have stopped doing RNG Loot boxes in the events well for easter and halloween (dunno yet about xmas)

So instead of having items HIDDEN behind RNG Gambling loot boxes, they now list all of them for you to buy with event currency directly,
    so no more gambling on the chance you get the thing you want, you can just buy that item direct.

This means that there are a lot more items on offer so it appears that you HAVE to collect enough currency to buy them all.
    But you dont buy them all of course, you have to choose which ones are most important to you.

All that is happening is BB is giving you CHOICE on which items to buy instead gambling on RNG loot boxes,
    you cant get them all as I said it takes to much currency.

This is a good move, instead of spending Gems to gamble on the chance you get the item you want, they now list all of them for you to buy directly.

I know its only a small point in your post and the rest of it I feel your pain.
    Last edited by LordCerveau; 26.11.18 at 12:59.

Original Serf
    World
    Newfoundland
    <removed> Nobody force you to play, good luck!
    Last edited by _Aszbhar; 26.11.18 at 13:56.

Closed Thread