Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The straw that broke the camels back – The reason why I have decided to stop playing

Nifty
    World
    Sandycove

The straw that broke the camels back – The reason why I have decided to stop playing

Having explained my reasons to our guild, they have persuaded me to create a post in the forum, not for me to vent my frustrations, nor to dissuade other players, but purely for the developers and game designers to understand the sentiment of many of the players.

Several players have whispered me recently with their desire to quit the game and I have tried to convince them to remain, however I myself have reached my breaking point with the introduction of the new Weekly Challenge.

For me, the beginning of the end started with the introduction of the new islands. This was such a welcome relief as having spent 2.5 years evolving my island, I had finally run out of space after finally achieving my aim of having positive production of every item possible in the game. However the new islands were only available for gems which I felt was an ill-advised decision. It was the start of the feeling that the developers are now only looking to see how much money they can squeeze out of loyal players.

The introduction of the MCC campaign was also greatly welcomed, and had that been the only new development that looked to drain you of resources, then it was manageable.
    Recently though, the anniversary event was introduced, with the sole purpose of getting players to donate resources, with those who did not have enough having the option to buy more balloons for gems or cash in order to get the new buildings being offered.

The Halloween event followed, with several new items that required pumpkins to buy. The amount of pumpkins required this year was almost double the pumpkins required last year, though players could buy more for gems or cash.

The upcoming Christmas event is also doubling the amount of presents required with the new Christmas Market and all of the upgrades without any extra way of obtaining the presents. However, of course we can all get extra presents using gems or real cash.

The problem I have had recently is that I have had to start demolishing several of my level 6 buildings to make way for the new buildings (I had already replaced all regular buildings with improved buildings), which has had an adverse effect on my production. This in itself would not be a game changer as part of the skill is balancing available space to maximise the game style that you play.

However the new Weekly Challenges appear to be designed to simply strip you of further resources needlessly. Again this is a choice that I chose not to participate in, once it was apparent that I had to complete up to 3 Adventures/Scenarios that either I don’t have and am unable to get without luck with loot drops, or no desire to do. Though having to needlessly sacrifice large amounts of resources and troops meant that I don’t believe anyone will be doing these challenges after a couple of weeks.

I have really enjoyed doing the MCC adventures and have completed 15 chains, however the problem I now have is that there is no point in doing any more. The Epic Forge uses up so much Coal, that the 315,000 I produce daily is not enough. I have 6 industrial Coal mines along with numerous recyclers and coking plants, all constantly buffed along with permanent mining guides. There is no more space to build any further coal production buildings without decimating my other production chains further, so there is no reward for completing the campaign as the upgrades will put my coal production under more strain.

BlueByte have chosen to go down the route that every new feature introduced requires huge sacrifice or resources to complete them. Since the only way to expand the islands area is through gems or cash, I feel I am at an impasse.
    My production has been reduced due to the fact I have had to demolish buildings as I have run out of space. I don’t feel I am able to change the way I have evolved in playing after 2.5 years of careful planning and hard work and clearly the game is heading in a direction that will require more and more resources being sacrificed or real money being spent.

I fully understand that all of these are optional and I do not have to do them if I don’t want to. My problem is that if I choose not to do the Weekly Challenges because the resource sacrifice is ridiculous and the adventures which have to be done are unobtainable and unsuited to how I wish to play, and I have no motivation to do any more MCC chains as it is not possible for me to be able to produce any more coal, then what is my motivation to keep playing.

It takes hours each day to keep my production going with constant refilling of mines that are now not adequate to provide the production levels required. The fun has vanished from the game and everything now feels like a chore just to stand still, not to mention the difficulty with constant freezing and bugs.
    New features are putting a larger strain on production, resources and time, with little or no sign that the game is going to evolve in a way that takes the clients playing styles into consideration.

I fully understand that this is my choice and my decision, but having spoken to many players before they quit, and many others that are planning to quit, I feel that the developers need to understand that a lot of loyal regular players feel that they are not taken into consideration when the game is evolving down the route where if you don’t pay to keep up then you are just remaining stagnant.

I have made genuine friends through playing and it will be keeping in touch with them outside the game. I have put my whole island to sleep and should the game return to its old values, myself and other players leaving after many years, may well return.

I wish everyone all the best in this game and will never forget the enjoyment and friendships that I have been lucky enough to experience.

Cheers
    Bodds

World
    Sandycove
    Well said. Best wishes.
    Sorry, but I've slept since then...

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Northisle
    Very sorry to see you go Bodds, I suspect others will be following soon. Pop back and let us all know if you find another game where the players are more appreciated.

Doubtless there will be others adding the usual platitudes about no-one forcing you to do the quests etc but the nature of those who are gamers is that if it is there it has to be done. Luckily I am not that way inclined and will just ignore anything that attempts to get me to play in a different way to my norm.

Committed Clicker
    World
    Sandycove
    sorry to see another veteran player go, I felt the same about many of the things posted here and just stopped bothering to refill mines, send out geologists, explorers, even doing adventures.

The end-game after level 50 was just max out the island and make money, then the beanstalk update meant there was more to play for, but eventually the same problem - filling the storage with beans.

the level 75 update wasn't planned with progress in mind, just a target and no unlocks or new troops to play for after level 57.

Events became more expensive and less rewarding.

Lots of things have been nerfed or increased in cost or removed from the merchant. People are being forced to play differently.

Skilled Student
    World
    Sandycove
    bye, thanks for the trades and ls

Town Councillor
    World
    Sandycove
    I only know one game famous for being "gamers oriented". They tried this "greedy" approach but player response was so devastating that they quickly returned to their famous "player oriented". All (the few) other (good) games I've played evolved similar way like this one. From humble start through decent player oriented development to what seemed meaningless money grab pushing players over the edge. End of life "money-squeeze"? Possibly. Never seen a game that lasts forever (although I'd like this one to break the rule), never seen a "true" gamer overly happy after they basically "accomplished" the fundamental game goals. Despite the above, I do resonate with a lot of what Boddington said especially with the notion of nearly every new development revolving around resource sink to the point of becoming absurd. It just doesn't hit me that hard.

Architect of the Empire
    World
    Northisle
    1: listen to the players suggestions

2: be sure that u can do better

3: break the game

Pathfinder
    World
    Sandycove
    Well said bodd.
    It feels like the game is breaking. In every Chat there is talking about this.
    This Game is full of bugs like the Chat, the freezes, buffing i mean even the gem shop is bugged. Rather than optimizing, working on a html5 and mobile version as this is where the modern technic and customers (players) are today, listen to players, make the game playable and fun it looks like the settlersonline crew is just looking for ways to squeeze Money from the Players, as much as it works. But it also feels like the toothpick is about to break.
    The Game itself could easily keep up with other f2p games in this category or be even one of the best, but right now its not going this way.

Erudite Pioneer
    World
    Sandycove
    Well said Bodd. And well said Norton too - 'end of life money squeeze' - very possibly.

I'm L55 currently and feeling little incentive to progress much further.

Genuine question - what other free to play games are there similar to this (non pvp)?

qawpaw
    Sad to say i experience the same, but with all the new stuff, i simply have pushed my self to play more, even the enjoyment is 100% gone.

Closed Thread