Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The new Weekly Chores .... time to give up ....

Nifty
    World
    Sandycove

The new Weekly Chores .... time to give up ....

Many of us came to TSO after playing original Settlers many years ago ... when I started TSO, I was hoping for gameplay something like the original Settlers .... when I hit level 50 three years ago and still didn't have any real gameplay like the original Settlers, I stopped playing for a while .... when I came back, we had new islands ... but still no gameplay ....

I stuck it out in the hope that the devs were building up to introducing real gameplay, but another 3 years later, we still don't have it ... we have new adventures, which are simply following a list of instructions (in the Wiki guides), Excelsior which is just clicking to give or get stuff, Pathfinder which is just clicking to give or get stuff, etc ....

And now we get "Weekly Challenges" which are described on the homepage as "new and exciting" ... one "challenge" is to produce stuff, so I have to wake a building up and buff it ... not exactly challenging .... and not exactly exciting either .... and another "challenge" is to do 3 Whirlwinds .... ok, so overcoming the tedium of 3 Whirlwinds is a challenge, I'll give you that, but it's not exciting, it's a drag .... if the devs think this is "exciting", they are clearly on another planet ....

And still no gameplay like the original Settlers ....

It would be so easy to add real gameplay .... but instead, just more chores, more sets of instructions to follow .... we just have to choose which set of instructions to follow and when ....

I think it's time to put my island to sleep again .... I'll pop back one day to see if there is any real gameplay .....

Committed Clicker
    World
    Sandycove
    You forgot to mention the collectibles, which are sometimes hidden behind objects - very frustrating to find.
    The making of buffs in the provision house while travelling from the home island to adventure map.
    Clicking complete quest several times to complete 1 task.
    Luck based loot some some players will progress much faster than others, people are still doing the exact same few adventures due to loot, xp, losses being unbalanced.

Guide of the Month Ruler of the Land Nogbad's Avatar
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Peajay View Post
    You forgot to mention the collectibles, which are sometimes hidden behind objects - very frustrating to find.
    The making of buffs in the provision house while travelling from the home island to adventure map.
    Clicking complete quest several times to complete 1 task.
    Luck based loot some some players will progress much faster than others, people are still doing the exact same few adventures due to loot, xp, losses being unbalanced.
    So agree with that luck element Peajay, that main quest to gain 10k gcs from Level 5+ advs should not take years to complete, that loot nerf years ago had so many knock-on effects.
    We love our new CM.

Newfoundland: 20th November 2011 to 25th November 2014. RIP
    It was good while it lasted.

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Peajay View Post
    As soon as you find one, place a small decoration in that location and that prevents the collectibe to spawn there. Eventually that gets rid of the frustration (but slowly )

Guide of the Month Ruler of the Land Nogbad's Avatar
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Qualan View Post
    As soon as you find one, place a small decoration in that location and that prevents the collectibe to spawn there. Eventually that gets rid of the frustration (but slowly )
    Lol, as long as it's something you won't mind losing. Having lost a premium general to a rogue collectable (and a Level 5 Imp Silo to a rogue general landing upon it) I wouldn't place anything in these spots.
    Just grateful that they spawn underneath my ECM and not on top of it, and still can't reuse that dead zone where a collectable landed on a road and deleted it.
    We love our new CM.

Newfoundland: 20th November 2011 to 25th November 2014. RIP
    It was good while it lasted.

Town Councillor
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by LordofEverything View Post

It would be so easy to add real gameplay ....
    What is "real gameplay" ?

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Norton_C View Post
    Depends on who play the game I would say. But would prefer to actually kill the troops in an adventure from just giving them up in weekly challenge.
    The amount of troops needed in a few of them, is the size or more than we lose doing an adv like princess, that gives more than 10 times as much exp and also some resources back.
    Killing off troops at that level would prevent me to do what I see as actual game play as it for me is doing something active like doing adventures, as the quest would occupy my barracks and preventing me to make troops for actual adventures.
    If for some reason support feels the need to edit what I wrote, please delete entire post instead, dont put words into my mouth that I never said.

Erudite Pioneer
    World
    Newfoundland
    Many of us came to TSO after playing original Settlers many years ago ... when I started TSO, I was hoping for gameplay something like the original Settlers .... when I hit level 50 three years ago and still didn't have any real gameplay like the original Settlers, I stopped playing for a while .... when I came back, we had new islands ... but still no gameplay ....

I stuck it out in the hope that the devs were building up to introducing real gameplay, but another 3 years later, we still don't have it ... we have new adventures, which are simply following a list of instructions (in the Wiki guides), Excelsior which is just clicking to give or get stuff, Pathfinder which is just clicking to give or get stuff, etc ....

And now we get "Weekly Challenges" which are described on the homepage as "new and exciting" ... one "challenge" is to produce stuff, so I have to wake a building up and buff it ... not exactly challenging .... and not exactly exciting either .... and another "challenge" is to do 3 Whirlwinds .... ok, so overcoming the tedium of 3 Whirlwinds is a challenge, I'll give you that, but it's not exciting, it's a drag .... if the devs think this is "exciting", they are clearly on another planet ....

And still no gameplay like the original Settlers ....

It would be so easy to add real gameplay .... but instead, just more chores, more sets of instructions to follow .... we just have to choose which set of instructions to follow and when ..
    I think it's time to put my island to sleep again .... I'll pop back one day to see if there is any real gameplay .....
    I for one love the new additions. After years of playing I was ready to give up Now i find it exciting to play again And those that dont like them dont have to play the new weekly challenges... Its like the PVP some love them some hate them. Each should play their own way and just enjoy the aspects of the game that appeal to them

Nifty
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by Norton_C View Post
    Go back to Settlers II or Settlers III ..... then spot the difference .... TSO is little more than repetitive chores ....

Town Councillor
    World
    Sandycove
    Go back to Settlers II or Settlers III ..... then spot the difference .... TSO is little more than repetitive chores ....
    I was more interested in what you personally consider a "game play" and how you think that could be iimplemented in TSO. TSO is my first Settlers game, never played the older CD/DVD versions. Online games entice us into daily playing through daily rewards and other stuff. CD/DVD games I usually played a few games, a few missions, then gave it a break shortly after I learned the tricks of it. They didn't feel a "chore" as I never played them daily. So if you have time, tell me what you're missing here from other Settlers. Thanks.

Reply to Thread