Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The new Weekly Chores .... time to give up ....

Jolly Advisor
    World
    Sandycove
    the weekly fiasco needs to be changed but kept.
    As it stands now its causing a lot of players to quit the game.

They need to reduce the res produced so more players can complete that part. it took me nearly a week to produce some of the items needed. also pay the same as u produce not double. Its hard to do the addies the weeklies want when u have to train then deligate the troops needed for the ady part plus the res needed to make the weapons have to be paid meaning u have to make even more res or trade for it to make the weapons.
    Then its asking to do addy most cant get as they r follow up addy. IE 1st theif or 2nd theif. to get them u would need to do young woodcutter about 50 times to get them and that would take more than a week cause u would have to keep training more troops and making more weapons.
    Then having to do storm recovery 3 times which chews up ur grout forcing u to do a lot more arbian nights addy to get enough.

Ive got addy waiting to be done but cant do them cause the weeklies have taken everything i need to do them. ive got sea snake and the 2 aladin addy waiting to be done to complete the set for achievements. was planning to get sea snake done before xmas event started. but due to losing all my MS it wont get done now till next year as its going to take weeks just to make all the swords and horses needed then train the MS. was nearly ready to upgrade my elite barracks to lvl 6 but storm recovery took all my grout so now have to replace it all.

Done 3 weeklies but not doing anymore. the cost of doing them just isnt worth it.

World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by cliff60 View Post
    As it stands now its causing a lot of players to quit the game.
    Much as I dont like the quests, Im surprised anyone would actually consider quitting over stuff they dont have to use.

Nifty
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkz View Post
    Much as I dont like the quests, Im surprised anyone would actually consider quitting over stuff they dont have to use.
    Take a step back and look at the game. All the new "content" like Pathfinder, Daily Quests, Weekly Quests etc is simply "buff this" and "produce that and give it away" and "do the same thing over and over again". A small number of people find repetitive tasks "exciting", many more don't. A small number love the "challenge" of producing tons of something to give it away, many more don't. Most of those that currently do love the repetitive tasks will tire of them soon enough.
    And while we don't have to do these repetitive (and almost pointless) tasks, look at the direction the game is going. It's nothing like The Settlers of old .....

Battle Hardened Contributor
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by LordofEverything View Post
    Take a step back and look at the game. All the new "content" like Pathfinder, Daily Quests, Weekly Quests etc is simply "buff this" and "produce that and give it away" and "do the same thing over and over again". A small number of people find repetitive tasks "exciting", many more don't. A small number love the "challenge" of producing tons of something to give it away, many more don't. Most of those that currently do love the repetitive tasks will tire of them soon enough.
    And while we don't have to do these repetitive (and almost pointless) tasks, look at the direction the game is going. It's nothing like The Settlers of old .....
    This game has *never* "been like the Settlers of Old", because it has some very fundamental differences. Not in the least since this is a multipalyer game with a strong social aspect.

All the tasks in this game, ever, has been buff stuff, produce stuff, give away stuff, do advs. From the start. Nothing in this is new information. The only difference is that now the amounts to make and throw away has been lifted to a degree that even established players sit up and take notice.

World
    Newfoundland
    And as has been said many times before, all of the new content is optional.

Don't like PvP? Don't do it.

Co-op Adventures too inconvenient? Don't do them.

Daily Quests boring? Skip them.

Finding collectibles a pain in the butt? Don't worry about it. It's not like you really need them.

Challenges too expensive for the reward? Ignore them.

As I've said before, I like the concept of the challenges. Yes, they are hard work, but that's what a challenge should be. My one real issue is with the selection of adventures required, and the difficulty of obtaining them.

Having said that, I'd like to see the pool of challenges expanded beyond the current 4, to increase variety and thus reduce the repetitiveness factor.

Town Councillor
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by LordofEverything View Post
    It's nothing like The Settlers of old .....
    It amazes me that you keep making this simplistic complaint after playing the game for so many years knowing all the time it was not like "The Settlers of Old......" but never ?? bother to actually suggest something positive and realistic about how the game should develop in your opinion. And I'd love to hear if you really have anything constructive to say about how the game could be improved.

And no, I probably will not play "the Settlers of old ........" just to try to figure out what you might be missing here

World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Norton_C View Post
    It amazes me that you keep making this simplistic complaint after playing the game for so many years knowing all the time it was not like "The Settlers of Old......" but never ?? bother to actually suggest something positive and realistic about how the game should develop in your opinion.
    Its not so easy suggesting how the game should develop when its fundamentally flawed to begin with.

Its a game that attempts to adapt the old concept (building a village from the scratch) to an MMO reality, while ignoring the simple fact that the building process will end at some point. The result is, as we all know, a situation where the only content left that is remotely interesting and repeatable is limited to exp/ resource grind, and the entire tedious process is spread over literally years.

You can propose dozens of new buildings and vanity items and it will still not change the simple fact that this game has failed.

World
    Newfoundland

You can propose dozens of new buildings and vanity items and it will still not change the simple fact that this game has failed.
    And yet you're still here...

I actually don't think it's failed. the challenge changes as you climb the levels - my big challenge at the moment is managing my nonexistent free space while maintaining my production chains - so for me, upgrading residential buildings as an absolute godsend. OK, the challenges are hard work, but I'm fine with that.

Town Councillor
    World
    Sandycove
    Its not so easy suggesting how the game should develop when its fundamentally flawed to begin with.

Its a game that attempts to adapt the old concept (building a village from the scratch) to an MMO reality, while ignoring the simple fact that the building process will end at some point. The result is, as we all know, a situation where the only content left that is remotely interesting and repeatable is limited to exp/ resource grind, and the entire tedious process is spread over literally years.

You have to excuse my stupidity here, can you explain following pls:

Why do so many people including yourself play for so many years something which in your opinion is fundamentally flawed?
    What's wrong with old concept of village built from scratch? Doesn't the building process always end up at some point?
    If the concept is flawed, what concept should the game have to not be flawed in your opinion?

I'm really lost about what you're trying to say.

World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Norton_C View Post
    Why do so many people including yourself play for so many years something which in your opinion is fundamentally flawed?
    Sentiment.
    Another thing is I occasionally enjoy spending some time building up when the bar is being set higher, until I reach it and the game has nothing to offer me once again. My main account is soon to be 8 years old, out of which I played maybe 30% of the time.

What's wrong with old concept of village built from scratch? Doesn't the building process always end up at some point?
    If the concept is flawed, what concept should the game have to not be flawed in your opinion?
    I never said there is something wrong with building the village from scratch or at least didnt intend to. What I point out as a problem is : the old settlers games had you to build the village, conquer the territory and win, all within the span of maybe a dozen hours. TSO attempts to adapt the very same concept into an MMO game with all its basic principles, like near-infinite play time, the consequence of which is being :

- the part where you build up the village naturally has its end (unless you can improve your buildings indefinately, which isnt the case here), so in a game that is stretched for years that part only covers a finite time at the very beginning, then you're simply done with one aspect of the game regardless of how long you will continue to play it

- every simple action that would normally take minutes in old Settlers, would have been completed way too quickly in TSO, which means an absurd amount of padding is required (like you having to wait for 10 days in order to get a +1 production from a single building), otherwise there would be no way to keep you playing for years doing what takes hours to complete
    Last edited by sparkz; 07.12.18 at 08:38.

Reply to Thread