Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: [Feedback] Dev Notes: Weekly Challenges

Town Councillor
    World
    Sandycove
    Giving this another thought: Somebody already mentioned that this nonsense results from dysfunctional storage system. Unlimited storage was never supposed to be part of the game. BB instead of fixing storage introduces this resource sink which doesn't and will not work anyway. So why don't you fix original problem - the storage? It will make mad about the same amount of players, but at least will make sense and bring some stability to the game. Then give us Slim Imp Storehouse with 2x2 layout to replace the simple one with same or better capacity as Imp Store, redo WC and Token upgrade system into something usable, and then after a while of groaning and moaning over lost millions nearly everybody is happy.
    Last edited by Norton_C; 26.11.18 at 23:57.

Skilled Student
    World
    Northisle
    Just wish you would put add adventures/scenario's needed available in the shop. Not everyone has a huge stock of these adventures and it is pushing the price up in TO to stupid levels. Give us a chance

Erudite Pioneer
    World
    Newfoundland
    Ok Here goes my 2 cent worth and most people may not agree with it But its my opinion (Im level 74 struggling to gain xp )

I have loved settlers since I began playing the game. The game did need something new. I think I was on the point of quitting. I looked forward to the weekly challenges as did so many others. I find them an absolutely brilliant addition to the game. I know some say they are too time consuming or costly or this or that... But thats what they are additional challenges that you dont have to do if you dont want. Its like PVP many hate that.. some love it. So some do it some dont. Options are just that Options.

Now for the negatives. there really should not be adventures that are impossible to get. I dont mind co-ops being there as it forces people to play together to get the quests done. Just dont have adventures that are random Im not talking about wisdoms or first thief they do drop from adventures that we do relatively frequemtly depending on level. Im talking about ones not available in merchant and which explorers have only a very slight chance of finding Ones like heart of the wood etc.
    Also as Storm recovery is so costly and one wrong move means you fail on it I dont believe that it is a good choice. maybe doing 1 would be ok But 3 ... ouch

Next the upgraded Buildings should show some change so that at least we see some progress or benefit from the huge amount of hard work it takes to get them upgraded. It would also be good if the tokens that are used in upgrading a building would return to star if that building was to be demolished (needs change)

The delegation of troops is again one of the things that people have to do to complete these quests. While i am not totally against this as it is also optional I do feel that the figures are far too high. Trying to get the elite adventures done is hard so having to make and delegate 800 swordmen and 295 mm is a pretty rough addition I would seriously ask that this be reduced to a more reasonable figure.

Overall I think this is a positive addition Just a few tweaks and it will be even better
    Last edited by Rebloom; 27.11.18 at 09:09.

World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Norton_C View Post
    Giving this another thought: Somebody already mentioned that this nonsense results from dysfunctional storage system. Unlimited storage was never supposed to be part of the game. BB instead of fixing storage introduces this resource sink which doesn't and will not work anyway. So why don't you fix original problem - the storage?
    Underlying problem is not the unlimited storage, its the fact that primitive economic system is forcefully made to work in a game that is supposed to be played over a period of years.

This creates all sorts of imbalances, ie. someone who pays attention to changes and makes use of event buildings over a couple of years can build an infrastructure capable of sustaining unit production at a maximum possible rate right now, the same person when NOT producing units instead creates an abundance of resources worth millions EVERY DAY.

There is no easy way to solve it by simply manipulating how much you can store, because even if you get rid of infinite storage this would simply mean the effort made to improve your infrastructure is pointless as long as you dont spend hours every day to utilize absolutely every resource you produce.

Town Councillor
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkz View Post
    Underlying problem is not the unlimited storage, its the fact that primitive economic system is forcefully made to work in a game that is supposed to be played over a period of years.
    Well, how primitive is primitive? It was just a thought, but I'll put it differently.
    • BB creates economy based game with storage space limitation as part of the challenge for economy management.
    • Since they forgot to employ smart guys able to see bigger pictures the feature gets bypassed, game gets unplanned unlimited storage, which removes part of the challenge, completely changes game play in some aspects and opens the door for millions of backup resources.
    • BB scratch their heads and noses and since they don't know how exactly to restore original storage limitations they start introducing extra resource sinks instead.
    • Since not everybody is using unwanted unlimited storage to maximum but many still run balanced economy without hoarding millions of each material these resource sinks hold no attraction for them as they don't have much to sink in the first place anyway.

Well I guess the above shows how WC issue is tightly tied to unplanned unlimited resource storage. Getting the game back on track in this respect would change a lot, WC could become more of a regular rather then exclusive feature for hardcorers only, but game is playable with both scenarios. Either way it will have it's challenges and limitations, haters and lowers. Some like WC as they are and that goes well with BB "plan" - exclusive content for very active players posed as a possible alternative (not go along with) to adventuring. I would probably prefer WC as regular population increase feature and extra challenge of storage management which is now non-existent.

EDIT: I actually sort of like WC as they are, as I understand the type of thinking and purpose behind them. The main reason of frustration for me is that the purpose is completely different then what I expected. I thought that BB was adding content for everyone to enjoy and fill in the long long haul of basically empty levels before you unlock Pathfinder, and that is most assuredly not the case. If BB said straight on that they were adding exclusive irregular optional content for hardcore players only I still would question the reasonability of the move, but my expectation would not have been mislead and subsequently frustrated.
    Last edited by Norton_C; 27.11.18 at 11:43.

World
    Newfoundland
    Why would you make Woodcutter available for map frags? Explorers bring back nothing but. The map frag adventures should be those that your explorers can't find.
    It's not my fault that I never learned to take responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggis View Post
    The Germans have 3x gem happy hour..... we have an Alpaca!

Town Councillor
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by Icegirl View Post
    Why would you make Woodcutter available for map frags? Explorers bring back nothing but. The map frag adventures should be those that your explorers can't find.
    I asked myself the same question. The issue is not the lack of YWC but luck based (non)availability of adventures needed for WC. Adding YWC for map frags may help players with limited explorers, but otherwise doesn't sort much, if anything related to WC.

Enlightened Sage
    World
    Newfoundland
    Woodcutter in the shop is a start as everyone will be able to get it without having wait for days and rely on luck. Increased (cheap) availability will also result in more follow ups to be looted and thus appear in trade. It was already talked about during test phase as well as was adding guaranteed loot counters to follow-ups or increasing the drop percentages.

World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Norton_C View Post
    Giving this another thought: Somebody already mentioned that this nonsense results from dysfunctional storage system. Unlimited storage was never supposed to be part of the game. BB instead of fixing storage introduces this resource sink which doesn't and will not work anyway. So why don't you fix original problem - the storage? It will make mad about the same amount of players, but at least will make sense and bring some stability to the game. Then give us Slim Imp Storehouse with 2x2 layout to replace the simple one with same or better capacity as Imp Store, redo WC and Token upgrade system into something usable, and then after a while of groaning and moaning over lost millions nearly everybody is happy.
    WC is optional. Removing unlimited storage isnt.
    If they hope to remove unlimited storage they first have to give an option for players to get rid of the excess resources or the players really will leave in droves. Even if they do it I think theyll have to keep the stuff already in star.
    Or maybe they are only trying to regulate game economy, give some resources back some value. Not everybody likes or is used to this either. If this is the reason they might be overdoing it a little in some places imo.
    Or they are trying to sell more gem buildings like some have suggested. Removing unlimited storage might not be best idea if they are going for that. Obviously this is speculation.
    Last edited by topgearfan; 27.11.18 at 12:32.
    Was fighting windmills from Aug 2012 to Oct 2019.

World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by topgearfan View Post
    WC is optional. Removing unlimited storage isnt.
    If they hope to remove unlimited storage they first have to give an option for players to get rid of the excess resources or the players really will leave in droves. Even if they do it I think theyll have to keep the stuff already in star.
    Or maybe they are only trying to regulate game economy, give some resources back some value. Not everybody likes or is used to this either. If this is the reason they might be overdoing it a little in some places imo.
    Or they are trying to sell more gem buildings like some have suggested. Removing unlimited storage might not be best idea if they are going for that. Obviously this is speculation.
    I was the one who suggested getting rid of star storage - but it is my own opinion of a resolution; I knew it wouldn't be popular. All I wanted to do was give Alex a different outlook on what he wants - balance.

It strikes me he is resolute on his way of doing things - I call that tunnel vision/blinkered. We need to open his eyes up to more lateral thinking, so any alternative suggestions would be good
    Last edited by Thejollyone; 27.11.18 at 12:53.

Reply to Thread