Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Guide or no guide

Skilled Student
    World
    Northisle

Smile Guide or no guide

Following a recent discussion in Guild Chat, I am interested to know how many people do not use a guide of any sort when doing adventures? what are your reasons for not using a guide and if you don't use a guide, how do you play?

Hope this was ok to post, curiosity killed the cat after all

World
    Newfoundland
    I don't use any of the guides in the forums or the wiki - I run the sims myself and put together my own, based on my own evaluation of troop costs. I find that my losses tend to be lower than the wiki losses anyway, and I see no point in even looking at guides that involve skilled generals, because if the skills aren't identical then the results will be misleading.

Brotherjon
    I use the wiki guides as a reference a lot of the time, I find them clear and easy to follow, but I don’t always stick to them and will modify them to suit my needs better, maybe for extra xp, speed or gen/unit availability. I tend to experiment a bit and I use the in-game tool a lot. As previously mentioned, the variety of gens and skills nowadays can muddy the waters quite a bit when planning attacks. I don’t mind losing a few extra troops for the sake of saving time and convenience, since that’s not where my constraint is.
    I find that campaigning adventures like doing loads of ywc, 3t or wisdom in a row can be good for progression, also more efficient as you loose fewer troops with practice and after a while you learn all of the attacks..but doing it like that can get boring after a while.
    I use a lot of sacrificial attacks and buffs kills, so I often stray from the standard attacks quite a bit.
    Last edited by Brotherjon; 28.11.18 at 10:12.

World
    Newfoundland
    Wiki guides are usually done by people who know little to nothing about mechanics and optimization. Its much better to just browse forums, on every group of servers theres at least a few people who have been doing multitude of guides for a long time and through the process of verification and optimisation ended up doing a much better job.

Another thing is general skills - there isnt really as many options as people think, and if you find someone competent doing guides its usually better to swap skills around (even losing a couple of books) to the new combination, because there is a reason why its being used (and its not just personal preference).

Original Serf
    World
    Northisle
    I modify wiki guides for my gens and my skils ) So technically I still use a guide, just my own spreadsheet!

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Northisle
    I use my own and those of others in my guild who I trust to get the minimum losses possible for the maximum xp.

Erudite Pioneer
    World
    Newfoundland
    I usualy use evils guides mixed with wiki But I also use the sims a lot as some gens have different skills than in the guide so I adat and set my own troops for different adventures.

Jolly Advisor
    World
    Newfoundland
    Wiki & EvilJ blended plus comments from others = own guides for most frequent adv giving lowest losses for speed I like to do at. In general wiki guide losses are HUGE.

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Newfoundland
    I do use guides. But for my favourite adventures I have my own guides that are made up with inspiration from other guides and friends + guild mates.
    If for some reason support feels the need to edit what I wrote, please delete entire post instead, dont put words into my mouth that I never said.

Keen Commentor
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by qawpaw View Post
    To use others guides are cheating, then one have not played the game one self
    With that logic then, you shouldn't be playing TSO at all, you should design your own game

Reply to Thread