Reply to Thread

Thread: a mess of glitches.

Jolly Advisor
    World
    Sandycove

a mess of glitches.

In the last 24 hours the following have occurred in my guild.

Loss of chat, sometimes just guild chat, sometimes all channels.
    Person on line and can see their light is on in friends list but change back to guild list - no light and she cant access chat.
    Generals reverting to previous loading in garrisons.
    The hourglass turning and turning and turning and turning..on trade, when trying to place a trade, on trying to open mail, on trying to send a mail, on trying to load a gen, on trying to transfer gens...
    Gens going off to fight, then back at garrison and then suddenly fight is over.
    Gens fail to transfer. They pop back to original position then suddenly appear at the transfer site.
    Stop start in walking on the maps.

So, this is NOT my PC or my cache or history or any of those things. In addition, 6am GMT and none of this is happening. By 9am GMT the whole list is kicking in and at 18.00 GMT we seem to totally lose control!

PLEASE pay attention and do something about all of this, its been happening since the end of the event.

World
    Sandycove
    You think this is new? I've been frustrated by all the above for months.
    Sorry, but I've slept since then...

Original Serf
    World
    Sandycove
    Hi. I am a long time player on this and another server. The problems Maryam1 is talking about are from the lag in the game. The first time i became aware of the lag was on a BK adventure and saw the galloping horse above a garrison before the general popped out. The designers knew there was a problem with map sharing and developed the icon from the beginnings of the game. When pvp was introduced the lag into the rest of the game began. Again it was shared maps. When most events were running BK after BK the game was almost unplayable because of the amount of map sharing going on. This past summer the loot on the co op adventures was improved and many players began to play them. Shared maps again. The lag since then is very evident in the game. If i am right, this valentines event which begins in a few weeks and only multi player adventures drop flowers will make the game unplayable for me and probably many others. Good luck everyone.

Jolly Advisor
    World
    Sandycove
    9. 47 and here we go - screen freeze, a gen who actually went BACKWARDS on the map...
    Hourglass turning and turning for over 22 seconds before a gen will load.
    Temp loss of all chat..off and on.
    Guildies reporting same and others as re my first post. Unless you do something about this, the game will be unplayable by summer.

Keen Commentor
    World
    Newfoundland
    Its been going on since time immemorial and it probably isn't going to stop soon. Personally I think its caused by a mass of effects and when one gets significantly worse or more than one occurs at the same time you see some pretty weird things going on. These effects include slow flash on pc, slow pc's, laggy or otherwise iffy internet (local, international or where-ever), delays in responses being sent out by BB and probably a fair few other things. I play on two PC's, one is relatively new, fast and stuffed with memory, the other slower and lacking in memory, you can probably guess which one causes more problems.

It seems to me the problems occur mainly on the downstream link, quite often I send info towards BB but nothing comes back (be it quest completions, battles finishing, generals moving et al) but once my local end gets back in sync with the server the vast majority of things complete properly, telling me that the info has been received by BB and processed but for some reason it ain't come back. (ie complete carnage on a local screen as blocks die, leaders fights never end etc that magically corrects itself- assuming of course that the block was sent correctly). Things that don't sort themselves out, usually lack of response to a quest completing are cured by a log-on/off, again tending to indicate the info has got to the server, but its got lost somewhere on the way back.

Finally a million thanks to whoever posted the zoom out/zoom in suggestion on chrome to avoid flash timing out, that as reduced the number of total flash crashes by a huge amount and has probably resulted in far fewer things being thrown around in frustration.

lol .... and I hear the clanging of bells in the background and am greeted with the server going down message .. rolling restarts ... we will see
    Last edited by cat_flap; 15.01.19 at 13:14.

World
    Sandycove
    If you are on an adventure and the generals starting behaving strange go back to the home island - my bet is that you have a new quest. It seems a new quest coming in takes so much priority that it will delay/erase anything in the buffers until it's acknowledged.

Jolly Advisor
    World
    Sandycove
    Thanks.

The server re starts seem to have helped alot.
    Now getting a need to reboot each time I start an adventure as doesent show up anywhere, not in log etc.

Skilled Student
    World
    Sandycove
    Been said now a lot, unless they get this game off flash (an utterly dead and decrepit technology) the game play will get worse since browsers just dont support it any more, it sucks up huge amounts of memory (check your activity proceses) and the main players will IIRC actually not permit its use after 2020 when its EOL'd
    Last edited by JoeShmoe; 18.01.19 at 13:48.

World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeShmoe View Post
    Been said now a lot, unless they get this game off flash (an utterly dead and decrepit technology) the game play will get worse since browsers just dont support it any more, it sucks up huge amounts of memory (check your activity proceses) and the main players will IIRC actually not permit its use after 2020 when its EOL'd
    I have never programmed using Flash but I've read quite a bit about the 'deprecation' and what will happen. It's the opinion of most that Flash will continue to work and be used for a very long time because so many things depend on it (not just games but pure commercial web sites). The technology was excellent for it's day and I play another game quite a bit that is also a city builder and also has a fair bit of depth and lots of flashy (excuse the pun) Flash things going on. However in that game there is never the Settlers type of burps, glitches, staggering, freezing, etc. problems. This leads me to believe that it isn't Flash per-se.... it's the Settlers method of using Flash.

You can use a screw driver as a pry bar but if it breaks don't blame the screwdriver. You are not using it properly.

Reply to Thread