Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Change overload

Pathfinder
    World
    Newfoundland

Change overload

I will start off by saying that this post is intended to be positive, and in no way an excuse for all and sundry to vent their wrath in reply.

I, like the next player, am always glad to see new content, new events and new challenges, but spending (too long) a career working on projects has taught me well that taking on too much change all at once will only lead to disappointment and difficulty.

I cannot help thinking that much of the frustration felt by players in the recent event(s) has come about not because of any lack of competence on the part of the Game Developers, but as a result of trying too much, too quickly, under too much pressure to deliver.

With that in mind, my "suggestion" would be for a show of hands from players to give "feedback" on what we would all like. Do we want:
    a) Lots more new content
    b) A period of peace, quiet and stabilisation between Easter and Halloween to get the game on a stable footing before future events?

Both would be great, but you don't always get what you want.

In the interim, there are always the well-tried mini-events (Pirate Week, Co-Op week etc) if it is felt necessary to "stimulate" players during the Summer months. There seems to be quite a bit of new content (Endless Coal and Gold Mines etc) to keep many players (not all I admit) occupied for a while, and plenty to spend gems on if you are that way inclined whilst items get remedied.

I vote b.

Pathfinder
    World
    Newfoundland
    I vote b

Original Serf
    World
    Newfoundland
    I vote b in general, but if the Devs start now, they should be able to get a really good Rugby World Cup event built, thoroughly tested and deployed in time for start of September...

Original Serf
    World
    Newfoundland
    I vote b) too

Skilled Student
    World
    Sandycove
    I vote for option B

World
    Newfoundland
    another vote for b from me

World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    I cannot help thinking that much of the frustration felt by players in the recent event(s) has come about not because of any lack of competence on the part of the Game Developers, but as a result of trying too much, too quickly, under too much pressure to deliver.
    Unfortunately you're wrong on that.

No half-decent company pushes an unfinished product that doesnt work on very basic level to the market as fast as possible to just "deliver".

This event just highlights the issues BB has on every level, from decision making through development and testing (or lack of such) to even things like a proper live reference that would allow seamless delivery of the final version to the live servers.

What they're doing is by no means a normal practice and by no means a sign of any competence.

Pathfinder
    World
    Newfoundland
    Not working at BB I cannot comment with any certainty, but I personally suspect the decision making is more likely to be at fault than the developing. In development, despite everyone's best efforts, the product will always be ready when it's ready. If the testing ain't done, or last minute bugs are found, you don't put it out (unless the management give you no choice, the point I was trying to make).

My original post was my own poor effort to highlight this and call for a period of thoughtful consideration before rushing headlong into a further change program. It's only worth playing catch-up if there is any possibility of catching up.

Nifty
    World
    Sandycove
    my vote is for b

Keen Commentor
    World
    Sandycove
    B from me, too

Reply to Thread