Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Flash Issue

Architect of the Empire
    World
    Northisle

Flash Issue

Quote Originally Posted by BB_Torkav View Post
    No HTML5 version of the game is planned.

However, we do not ignore the Flash situation and are working on solutions. Even if the browsers stop running Flash, the standalone game client (the so-called Slim Browser) will still work and it will be possible to play.
    I've seen this reply more than once and personally I don't appreciate being treated like an idiot. Could you please clarify this comment?

The slim browser DOES NOT WORK for most of us. Please bare in mind when this was released I was an IT manager and even I got bored trying to make it work and gave up. Today it suggests I try downloading and installing Chrome. Guess what I am using right now! When Flash has gone what's going to happen when I update other software or re-install windows?

So, is the slim browser your solution, a possible temporary fix (you could call it an event with new features), or are you really looking for viable alternatives and if so how is this progressing?
    Last edited by vigabrand; 11.03.19 at 10:08.

Community Manager
    World
    Newfoundland
    We're definitely working on solutions for the Flash problem. The standalone game client (more or less similar to the current "slim browser") is just one of the ideas we're considering.

That's all I can say at the moment.

Forum Explorer
    World
    Northisle
    Adobe Air was mentioned as maybe possible solution here :

forum.tsotesting.com/threads/22628-Flash-EOL-2020

Raving Rabbid
    World
    Sandycove
    We're definitely working on solutions for the Flash problem. The standalone game client (more or less similar to the current "slim browser") is just one of the ideas we're considering.

And can you assure Mac users that any standalone client will be available for them also? I cannot use the Slim Browser even if it did work.
    HOTFIX!

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Sandycove

The slim client stinks of desperation, you need to stand back and see where the market is actually going as opposed to where your wishful thinking leads you to have this unfounded belief that is not reflected by reality.
    When it comes to Gene pools and shallow ends they can be found at the bar drinking pina colada's

Treasure Hunter
    World
    Northisle
    Talking about Flash : Think about Windows Update !

=> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...-march-12-2019

Guide of the Month Ruler of the Land Nogbad's Avatar
    World
    Newfoundland
    Even Royal games are switching to HTML5 and that site's been dying the death for years.
    Please wake up and smell the coffee.
    We love our new CM.

Newfoundland: 20th November 2011 to 25th November 2014. RIP
    It was good while it lasted.

Guide of the Month Ruler of the Land Nogbad's Avatar
    World
    Newfoundland
    Not sure about the author's career history, or any vested interests, but this may be useful.

https://turbofuture.com/computers/Th...Flash-to-HTML5

Although, I also read a number of worrying articles about html5's insecurity.
    Last edited by Nogbad; 14.03.19 at 02:55.
    We love our new CM.

Newfoundland: 20th November 2011 to 25th November 2014. RIP
    It was good while it lasted.

Architect of the Empire
    World
    Northisle
    a stand alone game client sounds good, but i'm sure you'll understand our apprehension considering the current "slim browser"

i guess the fact that bb are definitely working on solutions will have to suffice

Jolly Advisor
    World
    Sandycove
    HTML5 is dying as well. but most browser games r now switching to HTML5 but webassembly came out a few years ago to replace flash and HTML5. All the main browsers now use webassembly. Its not a plug in like flash its programed into the browser itself. Its not compatable with flash which is why so many probs with flash. Its JAVA based so it wil have security issues as well. Flash HTML5 and JAVA all have security issues which webassembly is attempting to sort out.

So the games switching to HTML5 will only have to switch to webassembly in the next few years anyway so why not switch to it now?

So far chrome, firefox and edge have switched to using webassembly and windows will be doing the same. So even HTML5 is not a long term solution.

Travian games have been reprograming their games to HTML5 for the last 2 years and will be ready to start switching this month. they call it porting to HTML5. 1 small team of uni students converted their game to HTML5 in a month.

So if they can do it why cant a big company like BB do it? Simple they r going to let TSO die so they dont have to hire programmers that know how to write in HTML5 or webassembly.

Closed Thread