Thread: [Feedback] Dev Notes: Improvements for Weekly Challenges

Pathfinder
    World
    Northisle
    "Sounds like a cunning plan that does Jenkins"

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Newfoundland
    Nice that you finally decide to listen. But why don't you read the hundred of posts already there on this and other forum?
    Well I can repeat myself and I am sure others can too.
    What would make me do the challenges ?
    Raising of the amount of tokens - no - I can live without. They are nice to get but I don't really need them at level 71.

For me to do them they have to be somehow fun- not just hard.
    The giving a way of a huge lot of stuff is not really hard, not at my level at least- it is just not fun and seems pointless. Draining all water or one other resources might be seen as hard - well it build up pretty quickly if you have good production chain, but might prevent you from building troops or something else needed to actually do adventures and be active.
    I don't play the game just to sit in front of screen waiting for resources to be made. That would be fun in settlers 3- because of the animations,- but really not in this version.

I don't want to give up a lot of troops that take ages to build - I want to be active and kill the troops myself.
    I don't want to do the same adventure 3 times. I would rather do different ones.
    I don't want to give up a lot of expensive resources that I could have used to do something active instead.

I don't want to be treated like an idiot - the pick an adventure of a list of one- makes me feel like you do.

Decide what you want them to be. Are they optional or not ? If they are optional then remove the flashing red dart and make them optional to do. Again I feel like you really think I am stupid or something. You tell me that if I don't like them - then don't do them, - then you flash in my head that I have failed. I did not fail, I just did not like the mess you made and decided not to do it - it was a choice - you told me I had a choice- so I did not fail.
    As they are now they are forced on us and not really optional.

The pathfinder quests I like,- some of the quests I don't like- then I just don't do them, no one hit me in the head with a red arrow. They are optional, I don't have to look at them in the quest book, and can chose if I want to do them all, some of them or none of them.
    Last edited by Urd123; 06.04.19 at 07:06. Reason: forgot something
    If for some reason support feels the need to edit what I wrote, please delete entire post instead, dont put words into my mouth that I never said.

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Sandycove
    Can we wait til we get the actual details before knocking it. We don't yet know what the new sub quests rewards will be just that they are changing. We don't yet know what the new adventure pool will be just that it is changing. And please please stop making those people in the Palace of Westminster look good
    When it comes to Gene pools and shallow ends they can be found at the bar drinking pina colada's

Original Serf
    World
    Sandycove
    Wow, they offer a suggestion of improvement and everyone jumps down their throat lol - more tokens....awesome, addies available in merchant.....awesome.... tokens for subquests...awesome

so if you don't want to do the weeklies because you'd rather hoard and star your resources then don't do them
    if you don't want to do them because frankly Storm Recovery is a joke with grout and it's proper annoying trying to get people to do Whirlwind, don't do it. I don't do these two weeklies for that reason.

It does bug that we have to do 3 x Wisdom or 1 x Beseiged because they are hard to get but it's ok doing it because it's a lot of xp and they're not that bad.....the option to do addies in level ranges would be a good addition.

Doing the produce so many resources and then donate double is a way of using the buffs that build up and keep stores at a certain level...but i've seriously never understood the need to have millions of resources you'll never use.

The bad thing about the weeklies is the produce elite troops then make them go away.....could you not integrate the now you've made these troops - use them in the next part of the weekly adventure subquest and make sure not all of them comeback??

So to sum up: changes good please can we have
    choices of addies to complete at certain levels
    change of grout cost in Storm rec
    subquest tokens
    better use of built troops and resources
    a button to switch off the quests for players that don't want to do them to keep them happy

thanks.

ooh could you not make a new series of adventures that are purely linked to the weeklies that would need to use (only) the troops built and the resources built in that particular quest line - at least then we would feel that the troops and resources are put to good use and not wasted - and give extra tokens for completing it....just an idea

Pathfinder
    World
    Northisle
    I like the idea of tokens for sub quests. I did the first weekly challenge at lvl 55 and then went up to lvl 56 where I have no chance of completing the full quest so I just don't bother. These changes will encourage me to take another look but I feel that there are lots of other valid suggestions on what would make it more playable. I also find the "failure" announcement annoying and inappropriate.

Quartermaster
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by SimoneMarijnisse View Post
    I still would very much welcome a tick box to switch the weekly quests off.
    It would save me the irritation over the "you have failed..." messages every week. (I haven't failed the quest, I've not done it intentionally, which is something completely different)

I won't play them as long I have to build and then ditch troops without having them used in adventures, and only for a few tokens I can't trade or can't pass on to guild members who do value them more than I do.
    I agree +1

World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorotheus View Post
    Can we wait til we get the actual details before knocking it. We don't yet know what the new sub quests rewards will be just that they are changing. We don't yet know what the new adventure pool will be just that it is changing. And please please stop making those people in the Palace of Westminster look good
    No!. Doro they have asked for feedback on the Dev Notes, who's fault is it that what they have given in those notes is pretty much pointless without the details? Basically they seem to want a pat on the back for `listening', however we all know from experience that listening and hearing what is actually being said is totally different when it comes to TSO devs.
    All that has been said in relation to the challenge aspect is that they will make more adventures available in the merchant for map frags...they have not even mentioned if the `list of one' aspect will be addressed or that it will still be that having to do one adventure multiple times just with the added cost of buying some of them from the merchant.
    What else have they said, oh yes to act as more incentive to do them they are upping the reward and spreading them out over the sub-quests. This is a ( small ) step in the right direction...except one fairly nasty part of the whole concept is that no official list was ever given as to the on going requirements of the whole quest. So players started with good intentions poured in a lot of time and resources only to find a later sub-quest wanted something they could not or did not see as worth paying for the end reward. ( This along side the red failed quest arrow, showed a somewhat contemptuous attitude by the devs towards the player. I hope they enjoyed themselves! )
    I like many others welcomed the initial idea of a weekly challenge as something of an interesting distraction to what has become a stale xp grind. Over the years I have often set my own challenges within the game and have found it quite motivating even when the bugs and performance over which I had no control were often standing in the way to make them achievable. I have said the rewards offered in the BB version is pointless for me, but I would still participate if the challenge was interesting and related to normal game play and not just a resource sink. My rather harsh comments on this issue is based upon experience on what has happened before, with those at BB simply `stubbornly' ignoring players concerns until the numbers hit them in the face like a Jollys frying pan, and they realise they were wrong ( which of course they never admit to ) so lets tinker to show how great we are, but still ignore the real issues with their initial decisions.
    If they are listening, my `redline' is their red arrow. That has to go, and all the sub-quests have to be listed similar to event sub-quests in the quest log so we can judge the challenge for ourselves and our island, before we start it.
    ps. I really hope that all those expecting a significant improvement get what they are hoping for. I can't see it happening and won't build my hopes up for them to dash it yet again, I no longer pay them for that privilege .
    Are we to be told of adventure changes or not? 1 Month on and still SNEAKY RB changes have not been mentioned

Dedicated Scribe
    World
    Northisle
    I think we will have to wait and see if the changes help or not.

They need to address the issue of the quests being present in the quest log for people who really do not want to deal with the quests. Maybe the quest acquisition could work in a similar way to the Christmas tree, ie the ship you hand resources into has to be clicked before the weekly quest gets added to the quest log, that way people could just ignore the ship if they choose to.

I think adding the adventures for maps might be ok, but judging by the price of young woodcutter, I doubt they will be priced fairly. Some high level players might be sitting on mountains of map fragments, but if your only source of them is from adventure searches then you are unlikely to be able to buy many adventures if the prices start to hit 5,000+ map fragments.

In my opinion, they should just increase the drop rate for followup adventures, this would improve the availability and reduce the repetitiveness of having to spam the same adventure over and over to get the follow up adventures needed.

As has been suggested before, for the adventures needed, they should just be "Do 3 ali baba adventures of difficulty x+", "Do 3 co-op adventures of difficulty x+".

For the scenarios they could provide the option of doing 3 scenarios or ventures of x+ difficulty. At least this would provide an alternative to throwing away grout on storm recovery.

Original Serf
    World
    Northisle
    My biggest gripe is that, as a solo player, I am required to complete co-op quests to finish half of the weekly challenges.

I am a solo player for a reason. I don't want to be in a guild and have to rely on other players to allow me to complete a quest or challenge, depending on whether they are online at the same time as me. I want to play the game in my own time and in my own way, on my own. Co-op quests don't do it for me.

My next issue is having to complete the same quest multiple times. That's just tedious.

Then there is the resource sink. Gather or make resources then give twice as much away. Nope. There's also the associated issue that if the stores are full of the required resources one can't make any more before then giving them away. At least if we could give the resources away separately to making them it would be achievable rather than only making them first.

I want the ability to delete the weekly challenge, although I understand that a fresh challenge starts the moment the completed one is finished so one could just keep deleting until a preferred challenge appeared. Not my problem to solve but if I could at least hide the challenge until the next one is ready that at least would be a start. And get rid of the big red quest failed arrow.

I would also like to see the tokens being used, not only to up-level population centres - Residencies etc - but other buildings as well, and also in the same way as gems by being able to purchase items from the Merchant, particularly the Architect and Black Market. This would be a worthwhile reward for the time and resources spent.

Finally, there is the issue of poor server connectivity when it has been impossible to login or the game drops out. This is a regular issue and on one occasion prevented me from completing a weekly challenge, losing both the tokens and XP I expected to receive.

At the moment there is little incentive for me to bother with these weekly challenges.

My summary - a good idea but very poorly implemented.

Erudite Pioneer
    World
    Sandycove
    I also hope that the changes will sort out the bug that the weeklies appeared to introduce into the guild quest

Reply to Thread