Closed Thread
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Flash ending in 2020

Ruler of the Land TheVictorious's Avatar
    World
    Sandycove
    It is clearly BB will let TSO die after flash support ends, pretty sure like 99.99%
    Many other flash games went already to html5 or unity for web, if BB got any plan or thinking about any plan, they would be suggesting or mention that.

And it is 1 year left, It is not long time, if BB still not got any plan, then it is too late already.
    Hello People

Enlightened Sage
    World
    Newfoundland
    They have "officially" said no to HTML5 several times which also the Unity thing essentially uses. The option that they have not shot down publicly is the fully downloadable version. It's possible to build a self contained flash app with no dependencies at least for Windows. The existing slim version is not that.

However downloadable version and no browser support means a lot of people will quit by choice or by not having a choice (office players, mac, linux, etc).

Skilled Student
    World
    Newfoundland
    Is it worth to play with Settlers Online in 2019? I'm confused. I just started, I would like to buy gems (gem pits), but if the game servers will close soon, may not be the best idea. I should wait for some official response.

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleP View Post
    Is it worth to play with Settlers Online in 2019? I'm confused. I just started, I would like to buy gems (gem pits), but if the game servers will close soon, may not be the best idea. I should wait for some official response.

There are no plans to close the game servers. Some of the major browsers have said they will be disabling Flash by default at the end of 2020 due to Adobe no longer supporting Flash. This does not mean that Flash and Flash based games will not work. The Settlers Online can also be played in a standalone client that can be downloaded from the frontpage.

Pathfinder
    World
    Newfoundland
    If you're using the Game Installer and not the Browser to play the game you need to install this Adobe Flash Player for Firefox from Adobe website.

https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/

Step 1:
    Operating System: Select Windows 10

Step2:
    Select a version: FP 32 for Firefox - NPAPI

Follow the prompts. Should be all set to run The Settlers Online client.

If your using VLC Player it might conflict with the Settlers client. Here are the steps:

1. Uninstall VLC Player.

2. The Settlers client should work now.

3. If you need VLC Player, re-install it but when you get to the Prompt of selecting options, uncheck the following.

- Mozilla Plugins

- ActiveX Plugins

4. VLC Player and The Settlers Online client should work without conflicting.

World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by Cindari View Post
    If you're using the Game Installer and not the Browser to play the game you need to install this Adobe Flash Player for Firefox from Adobe website.

https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/

Step 1:
    Operating System: Select Windows 10

Step2:
    Select a version: FP 32 for Firefox - NPAPI

Follow the prompts. Should be all set to run The Settlers Online client.

If your using VLC Player it might conflict with the Settlers client. Here are the steps:

1. Uninstall VLC Player.

2. The Settlers client should work now.

3. If you need VLC Player, re-install it but when you get to the Prompt of selecting options, uncheck the following.

- Mozilla Plugins

- ActiveX Plugins

4. VLC Player and The Settlers Online client should work without conflicting.
    Thanks for this! I have been trying unsuccessfully for over a year to get this working again.. I had an inkling that VLC was part of the problem but your advice has now allowed a perfect running install - koudos

Original Serf
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by MOD_Daz View Post

There are no plans to close the game servers. Some of the major browsers have said they will be disabling Flash by default at the end of 2020 due to Adobe no longer supporting Flash. This does not mean that Flash and Flash based games will not work. The Settlers Online can also be played in a standalone client that can be downloaded from the frontpage.
    Google won't be disabling Flash at the end of 2020 .. they will be removing it ..

https://www.blog.google/products/chr...-flash-chrome/

These open web technologies became the default experience for Chrome late last year when sites started needing to ask your permission to run Flash. Chrome will continue phasing out Flash over the next few years, first by asking for your permission to run Flash in more situations, and eventually disabling it by default. We will remove Flash completely from Chrome toward the end of 2020.
    Microsoft has also said they will be using a Chromium version browser and will follow those time frames and will remove Flash by end of 2020.
    https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/...rnet-explorer/

In the next version of Microsoft Edge (built on Chromium), we will continue to retire Flash in the same timeframe as other Chromium based browsers. You can learn more of that timeline in this blog post. Flash will initially be disabled, and the user will need to re-enable Flash on a site-by-site basis; Flash will be completely removed from the browser towards the end of 2020.
    Mozilla browsers will also not have flash once it is stopped at the end of 2020.
    https://blog.mozilla.org/futurerelea...lash-end-life/
    Starting next month, users will choose which websites are able to run the Flash plugin. Flash will be disabled by default for most users in 2019, and only users running the Firefox Extended Support Release (ESR) will be able to continue using Flash through the final end-of-life at the end of 2020. In order to preserve user security, once Flash is no longer supported by Adobe security patches, no version of Firefox will load the plugin.
    Based on that... will Settlers Online work still with the client software after 2020 ? Despite Adobe no longer supporting Flash after 2020 and thus decreasing its security protection for people using it ? Or is the settlers online client a non flash reliant client? Will the client be updated as needed going forward, being the only way for people to play the game ?

qawpaw
    worked on steam too ,
    witch is the same as downloadable client

Erudite Pioneer
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by MOD_Daz View Post

Yer, but it won't work on my Apple Mac :-(

Skilled Student
    World
    Newfoundland
    I would like to try the Settlers Online Client but doesn't work :S
    I have already installed standalone Adobe Flash Payer 32 PPAPI. There is a link in the message box, I used that, after install and rerun the client same error :S

https://imgur.com/a/YQ3iw6z

Closed Thread