Closed Thread

Thread: Scavenger hunt with Orowa - Day 1

Community Manager
    World
    Newfoundland

Scavenger hunt with Orowa - Day 1

Dear adventurer,
    Is it the Easter Bunny or something completely different? A white figure visited your island and left a cryptic message behind. What could it mean?

I'm the basement ghost Orowanikus of Orakus, but just call me Orowa. I grew up with my aunt, Spooky-Hilda van Hohenstein. I learned the trade at the Doctor Frankenstein Comprehensive School - not a good time.
    When I was 16, my aunt kicked me out and since then I've been stuck working for a haunted travel agency, making my living with scavenger hunts.
    Recently a few moderators hired me.
    I'm supposed to take you on a journey through space and time, where we shall perform heroic deeds and find great treasures. Are you ready? Let's go!

Let's start our journey

A vast desert stretched to the horizon in all directions. You couldn’t see the shoreline anymore, nor the colorful port of Southern Sandycove where Orowa’s ship had dropped you off. All around you there was only sand and heat, as far as the eye could see. Water was beginning to run dangerously low when Orowa pointed into the distance and shouted:
    "There! It’s the oasis I told you about! We’re getting close!"
    Indeed, a trained eye could see the tops of palm trees peeking out from behind a dune. Filled with a renewed resolve, the adventurers pressed forward and a few minutes later you were standing on the shore of a small pond, surrounded by palms and small bushes. When the rest of the group was refilling their water bottles and resting in the shadows of the trees, Orowa set off to explore the area. Despite the white sheets covering his face, you could say he was very excited when he returned.
    "Look what I’ve found" - the ghost said, pointing at the side of a nearby sandstone hill. - "There’s a hidden door! I bet this is the hideout of the bandits that are terrorising these lands. Let’s see what’s inside!"
    The group collected their equipment and carefully approached the hidden entrance.

aarlnbasifbhdvettithyeaoe
    Do not forget about spaces!

Last edited by BB_Torkav; 26.07.19 at 12:52.

Community Manager
    World
    Newfoundland

The entrance

MOD_Hauter and MOD_Daz opened the heavy doors a little and you took a peek inside, Orowa floating above your head. The corridor behind the entrance was empty, save for a burning torch that was attached to the wall.
    “It looks like someone is inside” - said Orowa. - “But they didn’t post any guards. Hah! They weren’t expecting anyone to find this place. Their arrogance will be their undoing.”
    “But, first we must know what we’re up against. Since you were so eager to enter the corridor” - Orowa pointed a finger at you - “you’ll accompany me on a reconnaissance mission! Follow me, and remember to be very quiet!”
    You sighed, adjusted your scabbard and followed the ghost into the tunnel.
    The labyrinth of caves and passages proved to be incredibly complex. Every now and then you passed by crates of stolen goods, weapons and equipment.
    “Oh, look!” - said Orowa, picking up something shiny - “It is said that the desert ghosts of old lived in those things. I think I’ll take it with me.”

o__ l_m_
    Fill in the blanks _

Community Manager
    World
    Newfoundland

Shadows in the darkness

A few hours passed when the two scouts finally returned.
    “There’s a large cave in which the bandits store their stolen treasures.” - said Orowa, when everyone gathered around you - “It’s also where they sleep and eat. We’ve seen many beds and chairs, but only a few of the bandits. They were preparing meals and empty chests. We think that the main group will return soon from a raid.”
    “Those inside were not prepared for a fight, so we defeated them easily.” - the ghost continued the tale - “Now we can wait in the tunnels, without fear that someone will attack us from behind, and ambush the main group when they return tired from fighting and heavy with loot.”

The adventurers hid their things inside the tunnels and started preparing for a fight.
    After only an hour of waiting, a recruit from your household guard who was standing sentry by the entrance, ran into the tunnel, shouting: “They’re coming! They’re coming! I think it’s them!”
    Everyone stood up, checking their weapons.
    “How many are there?” - asked MOD_Brujah. - “Are they on horseback or afoot?”
    “Neither afoot nor on horseback, sir. They… They’re...” - stuttered the recruit. - “I might be mistaken… but I think they’re… They’re on a flying…”

What flying device could the desert bandits be using?
    giryneplftca
    Don't forget about spaces!

Community Manager
    World
    Newfoundland

Bandits arrive

Bandits landed by the entrance and entered the tunnel. As your companions had extinguished the torches, the outlaws had to move slowly and carefully.
    “Hey! Are you there?” - their chieftain shouted into the tunnel - “Are you asleep or what? We lost a few men, come help us drag the loot inside!”
    Instead of a reply, a hail of arrows flew from inside the tunnel. The bandits were so surprised that half of them fell to the first volley. The rest scattered and hid in clefts and crevices of the tunnel wall.
    You shouted a command and everyone rushed forward, drawing their swords. Tired and confused, the bandits were quickly overwhelmed and defeated.
    When the last one fell, your companions raised their swords and cheered.
    “Well done!” - said Orowa - “Thanks to their magic carpet, those bandits were able to attack even far-flung villages. Your actions today saved many lives for sure.”
    “Here” - the ghost handed you a small shining item. - “It was worn by their chieftain. The inscription is in the language of Anteria.”
    You accepted the gift with gratitude. You just hoped there wouldn’t ever be a need to throw it into a volcano!

What was it that Orowa gave you?
    _ _ _ _

Closed Thread